Page 13 of 87 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I'm kinda surprised that Jah hasn't developed more shooting touch. He seemed to have a decent mid-range jumper at Duke, but his range doesn't seem to have expanded in the NBA. Perhaps that was predictable due to his mediocre FT shooting.
    Wrt Seth, it's easy to remember him as a mediocre pro prospect since his Sr. year at Duke was nice but not remarkable. However, he was hobbled by some mysterious leg injury pretty much all year, and he just never got to 100%. Who knows, he may have been playing at 50% all year. Then, when he started getting cups of coffee in the NBA he played like a grand total of 10 games his 1st 3 yrs in the league. It must be very satisfying to Seth to have proven so many doubters wrong, as well as carving out a lucrative, highly-respected role.
    Shooters find a way. Just look at Duncan Robinson. Who would have thought he would be having a better career than Kevin Knox. Seth could always shoot and can shoot in the clutch- just ask Roy. I am sure he is loving his new situation- playing for his father in law and being the only key three point shooter in the starting lineup. You are either a star or a player with an elite skillset. Seth can shoot the ball with the best of them- and can play enough D to be respectable. Everything gets harder in the playoffs, however.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    He had a stress fracture in his right shin. He didn't participate in the vast majority of practices that year. He had a very good senior season by any measure, but considering the injury and lack of practice, I've always thought it was a remarkable season. It does make one wonder what kind of numbers a healthy Seth could have put up that year.
    He was second team All ACC and the top vote getter on that second team, so, as you say, that is certainly a very good senior season by any measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    FDD - it doesn't take much for this Knicks fan to spew the enthusiasm considering that I only have legit reasons to do so about as often as RJ hits a 3.

I don't mean to slag RJ who, before last night, was leading the NBA in minutes and has been the same player for the Knicks that he was for Duke, a clearly fearless warrior who truly believes that he is the best offensive player on the court and should be taking all the big shots. While his play doesn't quite back up his mentality, the gap between the two is closing and he's just such a workhorse in his effort, the minutes he plays, etc. I think we all know that he is a great kid with his head screwed on right and that moxie and belief in himself is far more of a strength than a weakness. He needs to shoot better, but he also needs a team with more shooting around him (like he needed on Duke), so that he can attack the open space off the bounce.

Austin has been incredible. He was hurt for the first half of the games played so far but since he's come back, he anchors the second unit and has been part of the closing unit these past few games hitting big shot after big shot. If you think about it, he and RJ have the exact same mentality about themselves but Austin has the veterans experience and has been humbled enough to understand that he is not the marquee dude but accepts his role and, as coach K would say, stars in it. Both guys are such fierce competitors. Austin also gets a lot of opportunities to drive the ball on the second unit and he still is quick as a cat and can get by almost anyone, plus his defense is very strong.

While I had to break down our Duke guys first, Julius Randle has been the primary storyline for the Knicks. The dude is averaging nearly a triple double, which is only happening because his passing and playmaking has gone to a completely higher level. Last year, I said that his go-to move was a spin move into the lane for a waiting double team and a turnover. Now, the Knicks are spaced and when he attacks off the dribble and knows where the shooters are spotting up, he's making the passes and the offense clicks. It doesn't look pretty while he's doing it, but it's effective - kind of like my fave Duke player of all time, Coach Carrawell.

These wins have also been coming against good teams - Jazz, Hawks, Pacers, Bucks, etc.

Gotta crow while the sun is up...it's fun and we'll see how long it goes.
    This. This. This.

As another long time Knicks fan, I am thrilled so far with the progress of this team. I also agree with your assessment of RJ, Austin, and, especially, Julius. He clearly came into camp in better shape, and listened to the coaches about his issues last year.

It is obviously a long season, and we will probably fall back to earth, but it is certainly exciting at this point of the season.

Wrt Seth, it's easy to remember him as a mediocre pro prospect since his Sr. year at Duke was nice but not remarkable. However, he was hobbled by some mysterious leg injury pretty much all year, and he just never got to 100%. Who knows, he may have been playing at 50% all year.
    As already mentioned, his injury prevented him from practicing all year. Coach K said if he had been healthy he would have led the nation in scoring his senior year. So what he did on one leg was truly impressive, and as Duke fans, should be appreciated more.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    As already mentioned, his injury prevented him from practicing all year. Coach K said if he had been healthy he would have led the nation in scoring his senior year. So what he did on one leg was truly impressive, and as Duke fans, should be appreciated more.
    I'm not sure why my comment is seen as not being appreciative of his play that year. I mentioned the injury, and that he didn't play at 100%. My comment was more about how he was perceived as a pro prospect at that time. Which was pretty much borne out by his draft status and his tenuous pro career for the first few seasons.

FDD - it doesn't take much for this Knicks fan to spew the enthusiasm considering that I only have legit reasons to do so about as often as RJ hits a 3.

I don't mean to slag RJ who, before last night, was leading the NBA in minutes and has been the same player for the Knicks that he was for Duke, a clearly fearless warrior who truly believes that he is the best offensive player on the court and should be taking all the big shots. While his play doesn't quite back up his mentality, the gap between the two is closing and he's just such a workhorse in his effort, the minutes he plays, etc. I think we all know that he is a great kid with his head screwed on right and that moxie and belief in himself is far more of a strength than a weakness. He needs to shoot better, but he also needs a team with more shooting around him (like he needed on Duke), so that he can attack the open space off the bounce.

Austin has been incredible. He was hurt for the first half of the games played so far but since he's come back, he anchors the second unit and has been part of the closing unit these past few games hitting big shot after big shot. If you think about it, he and RJ have the exact same mentality about themselves but Austin has the veterans experience and has been humbled enough to understand that he is not the marquee dude but accepts his role and, as coach K would say, stars in it. Both guys are such fierce competitors. Austin also gets a lot of opportunities to drive the ball on the second unit and he still is quick as a cat and can get by almost anyone, plus his defense is very strong.

While I had to break down our Duke guys first, Julius Randle has been the primary storyline for the Knicks. The dude is averaging nearly a triple double, which is only happening because his passing and playmaking has gone to a completely higher level. Last year, I said that his go-to move was a spin move into the lane for a waiting double team and a turnover. Now, the Knicks are spaced and when he attacks off the dribble and knows where the shooters are spotting up, he's making the passes and the offense clicks. It doesn't look pretty while he's doing it, but it's effective - kind of like my fave Duke player of all time, Coach Carrawell.

These wins have also been coming against good teams - Jazz, Hawks, Pacers, Bucks, etc.

Gotta crow while the sun is up...it's fun and we'll see how long it goes.
    I’m not a Knicks fan by any means. In fact, they’re in the same division as my team, so by all rights I should want them to do poorly. But I don’t. I want to see the Knicks be good again.

I love NYC sooooo much. It’s my second-favorite city to visit (behind Austin). My son is applying to NYU and I really hope he gets accepted — over that school in Boston. I want to be able to visit him for four years, or more, in NYC. And while I’m there I would love to see a good Knicks team in person at the Garden.

Oh, and I’m pulling for Austin and RJ to do well. So there’s that. Go Knicks!!

I'm not sure why my comment is seen as not being appreciative of his play that year. I mentioned the injury, and that he didn't play at 100%. My comment was more about how he was perceived as a pro prospect at that time. Which was pretty much borne out by his draft status and his tenuous pro career for the first few seasons.
    You said this.

“Wrt Seth, it's easy to remember him as a mediocre pro prospect since his Sr. year at Duke was nice but not remarkable“

Well. The word mediocre might have turned some people off. Personally I just can’t think of him as being mediocre at all sorry. So many awesome memories of him at Duke.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Unfortunately, the latest news on Seth is not so great as he reportedly tested positive in the latest round of virus testing and had to be pulled away from the team immediately. This will be a big test of all the protocols that the NBA has put in place.

Kyrie missed game for unknown reason. Nash didn’t even know why since Kyrie didn’t return his calls. Kyrie not going w Nets on road trip

I love his game but Kylie seems to be insane

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Kyrie missed game for unknown reason. Nash didn’t even know why since Kyrie didn’t return his calls. Kyrie not going w Nets on road trip

Huh? You heard that Steve Nash allegedly could not get in touch with Kyrie about why he (Kyrie) is not going on a road trip as evidence that he “seems to be insane”? I don’t follow you, man.

He was second team All ACC and the top vote getter on that second team, so, as you say, that is certainly a very good senior season by any measure.
    I thought he was All-ACC first team? I also saw he was listed as All-American second team per Sporting News (is one publication the official All-American team?).

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    I thought he was All-ACC first team? I also saw he was listed as All-American second team per Sporting News (is one publication the official All-American team?).
    I think Wikipedia has it wrong. They have the awards listed as you have described. That's where I started and I was curious about who else was on the All ACC teams that year so I did some digging and found this source.

https://www.scacchoops.com/2013-alla...ams-announced#

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Huh? You heard that Steve Nash allegedly could not get in touch with Kyrie about why he (Kyrie) is not going on a road trip as evidence that he “seems to be insane”? I don’t follow you, man.
    Kyrie has given plenty of evidence over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    You said this.

“Wrt Seth, it's easy to remember him as a mediocre pro prospect since his Sr. year at Duke was nice but not remarkable“

Well. The word mediocre might have turned some people off. Personally I just can’t think of him as being mediocre at all sorry. So many awesome memories of him at Duke.
    yes, if you ignore that's it's the adjective of the 2 words that directly follow it: "pro prospect". Several other players with wonderful careers at Duke, like Coach Carrawell or DeMarcus Nelson, had Sr. seasons which were of similarly lofty statistical output yet got very little traction as NBA players, which is the lens thru which Seth's pro prospects could be viewed thru. It's true that the 1-n-done age has drastically changed how player's pro prospects are viewed and a guy who averages 17.5 ppg as a Fr. or So. will be more highly regarded as a pro prospect than a guy (like Seth) who averaged 17.5 ppg as a Sr.
    I thoroughly enjoyed Seth's career at Duke and enjoyed seeing him grow as a player, and even more so seeing him become a highly regarded pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    You said this.

Seth was a 23-year old senior who went undrafted in the 2013 draft. Yes - I would absolutely call that a mediocre pro prospect.

Curry played a total of 4 NBA games in his first 2 seasons. He exploded in the 2016-17 season with the Mavs.

He was a really good college basketball player. But he was absolutely a "mediocre" pro-prospect who figured it out in his first 3 years in the league.

Not sure that's debatable...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post

Has it crossed anyone's mind that perhaps the events of the day before (Wed) would be a reason Kyrie wouldn't want to play last night? Just saying I think that might be what's up. If it's not that, then I agree he needs to be called out. But if that is the issue, I'd be willing to give him a pass. Still, if that's it he should have announced it.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Has it crossed anyone's mind that perhaps the events of the day before (Wed) would be a reason Kyrie wouldn't want to play last night? Just saying I think that might be what's up. If it's not that, then I agree he needs to be called out. But if that is the issue, I'd be willing to give him a pass. Still, if that's it he should have announced it.
    Kyrie is one strange dude. Either he's worth the headaches or he isn't. He's damn skilled.

He isn't a bad guy by any stretch. No off court issues, no legal issues, a history of great community work and charitable donations.

But he is an odd duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Kyrie is one strange dude. Either he's worth the headaches or he isn't. He's damn skilled.

He isn't a bad guy by any stretch. No off court issues, no legal issues, a history of great community work and charitable donations.

But he is an odd duck.
    That's a good way to put it. I was thrilled when he joined the Celts, he was the toast of the town, but man, he eventually alienated just about everyone...odd duck he is.

Reports say that is indeed the case, but if so, shouldn’t he at least tell the coach?

By the way, he isn’t playing tonight either.