Page 12 of 87 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I think free throws are by far the worst part of the sport. They absolutely kill the flow of the game and are more boring to watch than a high school graduation ceremony with 1,500 students who get called to the stage one-by-one.

The solution? I have no clue. I just know that games with lots of FTs — which most games seem to be these days — are virtually unwatchable.
    I prefer the current approach, but you could do away with free throws entirely and just award 2 points for any shooting foul (3 for 3 point attempts) and add another point if the player makes the shot for the "and one", and then once in the bonus give the fouled team 1 point every time they are fouled. It over-penalizes shooting fouls for the defense, but would improve flow (with less stoppage and likely less fouling)

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I prefer the current approach, but you could do away with free throws entirely and just award 2 points for any shooting foul (3 for 3 point attempts) and add another point if the player makes the shot for the "and one", and then once in the bonus give the fouled team 1 point every time they are fouled. It over-penalizes shooting fouls for the defense, but would improve flow (with less stoppage and likely less fouling)
    shaq would average 50ppg under those rules...

Foul Foul shooting

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Instead of eliminating altogether, why not award one point for a shooting foul and give the shooter one free throw to reach the maximum value of the shot (so a free throw for one point on a two-point shot and for 2 points on a 3-point shot). Stats I have seen show that the second (and third) free throws are converted at a higher percentage so this still leaves the most difficult free throw to be made. It still would increase the expected cost of a foul, but not by as much. It likely would incentivize less fouling (but Shaq maybe would have only averaged 40 points hypothetically under this system).

The NBA did talk a while back about going to s single shot system, with the shot equal to 2 or 3 points depending on the fouled shot in the obvious way.
    https://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/p...ow-line-enough
    This approach would also work but would lower the expected cost of a foul based on the data suggesting the percentages on first shots are lower and therefore might increase fouling particularly in the paint. Maybe that is why it did not go forward.

Either of these two aproaches would greatly reduce the number of foul shots and the time spent taking them without eliminating them altogether.
    Last edited by Travis; 01-06-2021 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Fix link

^ who can forget the marvelous days of "three to make two?"

Austin was on fire down the stretch to lead the Knicks to a win, 14 straight points for the Knicks to take them from 96 tied to 110-100 advantage.

Knicks fans are loving him, said all the right things before the season, posted a great message after team struggled early, and has been balling out. Considering he hit a game winner vs UNC its amazing that he's probably more loved after 8 games (4 played) by Knicks fans than it seems here by Duke fans.

As much as I love Zion, BI and JJ, they're making it difficult to watch with the defensive effort the Pelicans put forth.

Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    As much as I love Zion, BI and JJ, they're making it difficult to watch with the defensive effort the Pelicans put forth.
    Agreed. I have to believe that SVG will really get on them about the defensive effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    Austin was on fire down the stretch to lead the Knicks to a win, 14 straight points for the Knicks to take them from 96 tied to 110-100 advantage.

Knicks fans are loving him, said all the right things before the season, posted a great message after team struggled early, and has been balling out. Considering he hit a game winner vs UNC its amazing that he's probably more loved after 8 games (4 played) by Knicks fans than it seems here by Duke fans.
    No doubt, I was watching the Knicks game and Duke game at the same time and was hoping the Austin magic would leak down to Durham...and just enough did!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    No doubt, I was watching the Knicks game and Duke game at the same time and was hoping the Austin magic would leak down to Durham...and just enough did!
    Barrett had a quiet game, but my lord! These Knicks!

The NBA is at it's best when the Lakers, Celtics, and Knicks are doing well (not trying to be elitist, just being realistic). And Lakers have the best player in the game, the Celtics have two dynamic wings, and the Knicks finally have great coaching with a weird roster that somehow works.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Barrett had a quiet game, but my lord! These Knicks!

The NBA is at it's best when the Lakers, Celtics, and Knicks are doing well (not trying to be elitist, just being realistic). And Lakers have the best player in the game, the Celtics have two dynamic wings, and the Knicks finally have great coaching with a weird roster that somehow works.
    FDD - it doesn't take much for this Knicks fan to spew the enthusiasm considering that I only have legit reasons to do so about as often as RJ hits a 3.

I don't mean to slag RJ who, before last night, was leading the NBA in minutes and has been the same player for the Knicks that he was for Duke, a clearly fearless warrior who truly believes that he is the best offensive player on the court and should be taking all the big shots. While his play doesn't quite back up his mentality, the gap between the two is closing and he's just such a workhorse in his effort, the minutes he plays, etc. I think we all know that he is a great kid with his head screwed on right and that moxie and belief in himself is far more of a strength than a weakness. He needs to shoot better, but he also needs a team with more shooting around him (like he needed on Duke), so that he can attack the open space off the bounce.

Austin has been incredible. He was hurt for the first half of the games played so far but since he's come back, he anchors the second unit and has been part of the closing unit these past few games hitting big shot after big shot. If you think about it, he and RJ have the exact same mentality about themselves but Austin has the veterans experience and has been humbled enough to understand that he is not the marquee dude but accepts his role and, as coach K would say, stars in it. Both guys are such fierce competitors. Austin also gets a lot of opportunities to drive the ball on the second unit and he still is quick as a cat and can get by almost anyone, plus his defense is very strong.

While I had to break down our Duke guys first, Julius Randle has been the primary storyline for the Knicks. The dude is averaging nearly a triple double, which is only happening because his passing and playmaking has gone to a completely higher level. Last year, I said that his go-to move was a spin move into the lane for a waiting double team and a turnover. Now, the Knicks are spaced and when he attacks off the dribble and knows where the shooters are spotting up, he's making the passes and the offense clicks. It doesn't look pretty while he's doing it, but it's effective - kind of like my fave Duke player of all time, Coach Carrawell.

These wins have also been coming against good teams - Jazz, Hawks, Pacers, Bucks, etc.

Gotta crow while the sun is up...it's fun and we'll see how long it goes.

FDD - it doesn't take much for this Knicks fan to spew the enthusiasm considering that I only have legit reasons to do so about as often as RJ hits a 3.

I don't mean to slag RJ who, before last night, was leading the NBA in minutes and has been the same player for the Knicks that he was for Duke, a clearly fearless warrior who truly believes that he is the best offensive player on the court and should be taking all the big shots. While his play doesn't quite back up his mentality, the gap between the two is closing and he's just such a workhorse in his effort, the minutes he plays, etc. I think we all know that he is a great kid with his head screwed on right and that moxie and belief in himself is far more of a strength than a weakness. He needs to shoot better, but he also needs a team with more shooting around him (like he needed on Duke), so that he can attack the open space off the bounce.

Austin has been incredible. He was hurt for the first half of the games played so far but since he's come back, he anchors the second unit and has been part of the closing unit these past few games hitting big shot after big shot. If you think about it, he and RJ have the exact same mentality about themselves but Austin has the veterans experience and has been humbled enough to understand that he is not the marquee dude but accepts his role and, as coach K would say, stars in it. Both guys are such fierce competitors. Austin also gets a lot of opportunities to drive the ball on the second unit and he still is quick as a cat and can get by almost anyone, plus his defense is very strong.

While I had to break down our Duke guys first, Julius Randle has been the primary storyline for the Knicks. The dude is averaging nearly a triple double, which is only happening because his passing and playmaking has gone to a completely higher level. Last year, I said that his go-to move was a spin move into the lane for a waiting double team and a turnover. Now, the Knicks are spaced and when he attacks off the dribble and knows where the shooters are spotting up, he's making the passes and the offense clicks. It doesn't look pretty while he's doing it, but it's effective - kind of like my fave Duke player of all time, Coach Carrawell.

These wins have also been coming against good teams - Jazz, Hawks, Pacers, Bucks, etc.

Gotta crow while the sun is up...it's fun and we'll see how long it goes.
    You crow all you want. You've been a loyal Knicks fan who has taken the punches during the last 20 years. And you've done so in a respectful manner here on DBR.

And I agree on Randle; how do you reinvent yourself at 26? Welp, have either Thibs or SVG as your coach.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

I think Austin needed to be on Broadway his whole career.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Lots of high-quality performances from Duke alum yesterday:
    Seth Curry started the game for PHI and hit 6 strait 3s on his way to 28 pts in the win.
    Monster games from both Ingram and Zion couldn't help NOLA get the win. JJ was almost non-existent. 24&11 for BI and 29&6 for Zion. 2pts for JJ.
    Another big game from Tatum led the Celtics to the 2pt win. 27-5-4 for JT. Semi got 5 & 4 for BOS, too.
    In a battle of former teammates and 1st rd draft picks Bagley's Kings beat WCJr's Bulls, with both big guys putting up big dub-dubs: 11&17 for Wendell and 21&12 for Marvin.
    Luke Kennard had an efficient 9 points in the LAC win.
    A sub-par game from RJ and a great game from Austin Rivers helped NYK pull above .500 on the season. 9 pts for RJ and 23 for Austin.
    Cam shot poorly for ATL in the loss, finishing with 8.
    Big 'Ques had 2 pts and 2 boards for CLE in the loss.
    Vernon & Cassius got DNP-CDs

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Actually, I'd be in favor of returning to this, as it would cut the incentive to foul.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Lots of high-quality performances from Duke alum yesterday:
    Seth Curry started the game for PHI and hit 6 strait 3s on his way to 28 pts in the win.
    Monster games from both Ingram and Zion couldn't help NOLA get the win. JJ was almost non-existent. 24&11 for BI and 29&6 for Zion. 2pts for JJ.
    Another big game from Tatum led the Celtics to the 2pt win. 27-5-4 for JT. Semi got 5 & 4 for BOS, too.
    In a battle of former teammates and 1st rd draft picks Bagley's Kings beat WCJr's Bulls, with both big guys putting up big dub-dubs: 11&17 for Wendell and 21&12 for Marvin.
    Luke Kennard had an efficient 9 points in the LAC win.
    A sub-par game from RJ and a great game from Austin Rivers helped NYK pull above .500 on the season. 9 pts for RJ and 23 for Austin.
    Cam shot poorly for ATL in the loss, finishing with 8.
    Big 'Ques had 2 pts and 2 boards for CLE in the loss.
    Vernon & Cassius got DNP-CDs
    Multiple thoughts on Curry and the 76ers:

a) Curry is the new JJ, meaning a seasoned vet who gets better with age
    b) Speaking of JJ, what the hell was Brand and 76ers mgmt thinking by letting him go? Curry is further proof that, in order for the Simmons/Embiid partnership to work, you need a 40%+ 3pt shooter who can run the pick n roll.
    c) Does Doc treat Curry better or worse than his biological son? I can see both sides to this
    d) Morey is a genius (with the exception of letting Harden do whatever he wants)

Seth's emergence as a deluxe shooter has been quiet but impressive...not the flashiest guy around, but he's really a weapon.

Seth's emergence as a deluxe shooter has been quiet but impressive...not the flashiest guy around, but he's really a weapon.
    The vagaries of what defines valued skill in the evolving NBA...Seth Curry ($8MM per) vs Jah Okafor ($2MM per).

Who would have made that wager in 2014?

The vagaries of what defines valued skill in the evolving NBA...Seth Curry ($8MM per) vs Jah Okafor ($2MM per).

Who would have made that wager in 2014?
    I'm kinda surprised that Jah hasn't developed more shooting touch. He seemed to have a decent mid-range jumper at Duke, but his range doesn't seem to have expanded in the NBA. Perhaps that was predictable due to his mediocre FT shooting.
    Wrt Seth, it's easy to remember him as a mediocre pro prospect since his Sr. year at Duke was nice but not remarkable. However, he was hobbled by some mysterious leg injury pretty much all year, and he just never got to 100%. Who knows, he may have been playing at 50% all year. Then, when he started getting cups of coffee in the NBA he played like a grand total of 10 games his 1st 3 yrs in the league. It must be very satisfying to Seth to have proven so many doubters wrong, as well as carving out a lucrative, highly-respected role.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I'm kinda surprised that Jah hasn't developed more shooting touch. He seemed to have a decent mid-range jumper at Duke, but his range doesn't seem to have expanded in the NBA. Perhaps that was predictable due to his mediocre FT shooting.
    Wrt Seth, it's easy to remember him as a mediocre pro prospect since his Sr. year at Duke was nice but not remarkable. However, he was hobbled by some mysterious leg injury pretty much all year, and he just never got to 100%. Who knows, he may have been playing at 50% all year. Then, when he started getting cups of coffee in the NBA he played like a grand total of 10 games his 1st 3 yrs in the league. It must be very satisfying to Seth to have proven so many doubters wrong, as well as carving out a lucrative, highly-respected role.
    He had a stress fracture in his right shin. He didn't participate in the vast majority of practices that year. He had a very good senior season by any measure, but considering the injury and lack of practice, I've always thought it was a remarkable season. It does make one wonder what kind of numbers a healthy Seth could have put up that year.

Oh my gosh, I had forgotten about that! A blast from the past indeed.