Page 22 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    My view, which I am prone to act upon, is that DBR is a public site visible to all. Therefore, except in rare cases of known knaves, Duke players and coaches can be criticized but should also be defended. Therefore, what shows to the public is a balanced view. I think your and Mtn. Devil's initial posts were just fine.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    Some players/coaches are more openly criticized than others here. Which is fair, I suppose.

Then some are clearly above reproach. I'm looking at you, Nate James.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Some players/coaches are more openly criticized than others here. Which is fair, I suppose.

Then some are clearly above reproach. I'm looking at you, Nate James.
    And Patrick Davidson of course - but that goes without saying.

3. Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    It is difficult to respond to what is effectively jabs and not an argument.

But you had said that you are acting as his lawyer defending him. Your words. I am not his prosecutor- but a guy on a discussion board expressing an opinion. That is the point of the board. The prosecutor is the NBA who fined him for breaking protocols.

Your suggestion that the Nets have accepted this is a weak position to take - because it is not supported by anything substantive. Organizations that are paying a star 40M cannot come out and throw such a player under a bus - that is business. And his teammates are careful what they say - that is politics.

We have all heard the anecdotes that the Nets no longer trust Kyrie and that is why Harden is critical. And that Kyrie was furious with the Nets because he did not support Nash. And that Houston did not want to touch Kyrie in a trade. Whether all or any of this true - I do not know. Until Kyrie comes out and tells a full story - conjecture will be all that we have. But I can speculate based on past and current conduct.

There is ample material to support a criticism of Kyrie’s current and past conduct. But some people simple refuse to accept that he can be anything but a swell guy - you are likely one of them. And I respect your right to have such an opinion - I just do not agree with it. And that is fine - the purpose of the board is to have different views discussed.
    OK, so what teammates and the organization have said is fake.

Unsourced gossip is real. Alright then.

Until Kyrie comes out and tells a full story - conjecture will be all that we have.
    That was all I was advocating. To reserve judgement until Kyrie can explain his side. And that if you must speculate based on the past, well don't forget his good deeds and the support he actually does receive from his peers.

Bagley vs Zion

They are matching up and Marvin is blowing by Zion.

Zion is doing OK on offense though.

If Kyrie were to be traded to the Pelicans, I’d have to subscribe to NBAtv. I would not miss another televised game all season.

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2021/01/...on-williamson/
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    They are matching up and Marvin is blowing by Zion.

Zion is doing OK on offense though.
    Zion was unstoppable. 13-15 FG, 5-5 FT.

Marvin also great with a double-double.

Further south, Luke Kennard put up 20 points in 20 minutes for the Clips against Indy. Maybe his teammates have decided to share the ball after all.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Both had great games, it must have been electrifying to watch. Both are almost statistically the same players they were last year, or in Bagley's case his 2 yr career. Bagley's 3FG% is much better than his injury-truncated season last year, and somewhat better than his rookie year. Otherwise, his mpg is nearly the same, FG and FT% are both down a little, rebounding is up a smidge, but ppg and other stats are down modestly. It seems a bit early to judge him, as he would have been a Sr. at Duke this year, in the before times. Zion, otoh, is nearly identical in mpg, ppg, FG and FT%, but his rebounding and rate are both up, which may be related to the final stat i'll point out: he has pretty much stopped shooting 3s. He shot ~43% from 3 last year, which is great, on 0.6 3FGA/g, so he at least forced teams to pay attention to him out there, stretching the D. This year he has shot, and missed 2, 3s. On the highlights i've watched it seems like Zion is lurking closer to the basket, roughly the elbow rather than at the 3pt line.
    Also, at Duke South, Brandon Ingram's numbers are down a bit from last year, but a good game or 2 could reverse that trend. JJ otoh has seen big declines in all of his stats, except FT% which is 100% so far. JJ had a terrible stretch there for a bit, but has had 2 or 3 good to excellent games in a row. His role has definitely changed, but if he can start hitting roughly 40% from 3 he'll probably move back into pretty much the same role he's had most of his career.
    In other news, Wendell Carter had a big game for CHI, most notably with 5 steals.
    At Duke NYK, RJ had another solid game in a row, however his offensive efficiency stats are down slightly from last year, except ast and ast/to ratio, while his rebounding is up. Austin Rivers moved out of the starting spot, and threw up an 0fer.
    And out in LA, Luke Kennard had another stellar game, scoring 20 on 12 FGs+1FT. On the season he's hitting career highs in FG, 3FG, and FT%, including shooting over 51% on FGs, and 52% on 3s. His ppg are down due to a change in his role, but he is filling his role as super offense spark off the bench to perfection.

Although they didn't play yesterday, out at Duke West Coast, the 3 Dlue Devils alums are all role players to different degrees. GT2 is getting the most playing time, and has the biggest role of the 3. No doubt, he's coming up aces for Portland. Rodney Hood has struggled in pretty much every aspect of his game after returning from injury. HG3 otoh, plays very little, but is a stat-stuffer when he does.

9. Even though Zion's numbers are similar, the way he's gotten them is different this season compared to last. The team last season ran more fast breaks (that led to Zion alley oops) and made a concerted effort to get Zion the ball in a 1 in 4 out type of setup in the half court. This season's pace is slower and Zion has been getting his points in half court sets and opportunistic baskets.

Last season's style is more exciting, but perhaps this season's style is more sustainable?

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Even though Zion's numbers are similar, the way he's gotten them is different this season compared to last. The team last season ran more fast breaks (that led to Zion alley oops) and made a concerted effort to get Zion the ball in a 1 in 4 out type of setup in the half court. This season's pace is slower and Zion has been getting his points in half court sets and opportunistic baskets.

Last season's style is more exciting, but perhaps this season's style is more sustainable?
    I don’t know... I watched his highlights from last night. Those were some pretty exciting buckets.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

11. The one where he faked left then zapped right and slammed got me out of my chair.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    The one where he faked left then zapped right and slammed got me out of my chair.
    His last bucket, where he drives the baseline from the left side, goes up, gets bumped by Bagley, floats, and drops it in for the and-one was also very nice.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

That jackass Kyrie bought George Floyd's family a house.

https://www.basketballnews.com/stori...-brooklyn-nets

The Atlanta “city edition” MLK jerseys are amazing.
    https://theundefeated.com/features/b...espn:frontpage

I’m generally anti-Jersey on grown men but I might just have
    To buy a Cam Reddish jersey just to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    The Atlanta “city edition” MLK jerseys are amazing.
    https://theundefeated.com/features/b...espn:frontpage

I’m generally anti-Jersey on grown men but I might just have
    To buy a Cam Reddish jersey just to have it.
    Those are pretty amazing.

What a scumbag! Now I see why everyone here hates him.

RJ with 22 and 10 today to follow up on the 19 and 11 he had yesterday. Both games were Knick wins. He is now averaging 16.8ppg and 7.4 rpg. If not sure if he is a SF or a SG, but he's one of the best rebounders in the league for his position.

Still can shoot very well from deep, but if he somehow fixes that, he looks like an all-star. He's still only 20 years old.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    What a scumbag! Now I see why everyone here hates him.
    Has this discussion been about Kyrie being a decent and generous person?

I thought it was about whether he was all-in on being a professional basketball player and dependable teammate?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

I thought it was about whether he was all-in on being a professional basketball player and dependable teammate?
    The discussion has been all over the place. Your points are definitely valid.

The main issue of contention seems to be whether Duke fans "like" him, which is very subjective and fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    By some? Yes it has.