Page 25 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
    Tie game, 1.2 seconds to go. Who shoots?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Tie game, 1.2 seconds to go. Who shoots?
    Durant. Misses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Durant. Misses.
    If only they had the guy who's hit a Top 5 all-time clutch shot in NBA history on their team...and arguably THE number 1 clutch shot of all time.

...meanwhile, Luka enters the Top 15 of all-time triple doubles. He could make Top 10 by end of season...and I'm pretty sure he's still in middle school

4. Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Most people can't take a one month sabbatical from work, especially without lots of advance notice and planning.
    So it's rare but not crazy yes? Certainly not something to be publicly excoriated about if the employer and colleagues are OK with it no matter how short the notice?

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    So it's rare but not crazy yes? Certainly not something to be publicly excoriated about if the employer and colleagues are OK with it no matter how short the notice?
    You think the Nets were actually okay with it?

6. Any time an employee asks for a sabbatical, or hell, even additional paternity/maternity leave if you want to be honest about it, I'm not filled with glee, but assuming they are in good standing then I grant that leave without reservation.

As another poster commented, the Nets did not discipline Kyrie in any way.

Any time an employee asks for a sabbatical, or hell, even additional paternity/maternity leave if you want to be honest about it, I'm not filled with glee, but assuming they are in good standing then I grant that leave without reservation.

As another poster commented, the Nets did not discipline Kyrie in any way.
    The absence of a fine doesn’t mean the Nets are okay with what he did. They may have decided that a fine could backfire on them so they cut their losses and move on.

You also act like this is something that happens on a daily basis. In the corporate world, it may. But in the NBA, it’s highly unusual for a player to go missing for 7 games.

8. Occam's Razor. The most likely explanation is often the correct one. In the absence of anything punitive it's more likely than not that the Nets are OK with it.

Regardless, all I'm trying to establish is that we have a double standard for NBA players. That taking a personal break during the season is seen as so unusual in of itself says something.

Regardless, all I'm trying to establish is that we have a double standard for NBA players.
    Is there really any debate about this? The world treats millionaire celebrity, freak athletes who are among the top 20 in the world at what they do different from the rest of us. I'm shocked... shocked I say.

-Jason "also worth pointing out that rather than 'missing a month' as some have said, Kyrie was off for less than 2 weeks (some of which was due to NBA quarantine requirements)... a two week break from a job is hardly surprising" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Letting one of the worst offenses in the league in Cleveland torch you in a loss is somewhat embarrassing for the Nets ("somewhat" because it's early and just a regular season game). The ring-chasing defensive vets who are eventually bought out by other teams can't get on the roster soon enough, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Letting one of the worst offenses in the league in Cleveland torch you in a loss is somewhat embarrassing for the Nets ("somewhat" because it's early and just a regular season game). The ring-chasing defensive vets who are eventually bought out by other teams can't get on the roster soon enough, haha.
    I saw the 2nd OT, and Sexton was en fuego. Cleveland was using screens to get a defensive switch on him, but even when Durant ended up guarding him, Sexton could not be stopped. Sexton is hitting 50% on 3s for the year. I didn't see Sexton's late 3 to force a 2nd OT and wonder if the Nets didn't try to foul to force 2 free throws with a few seconds left, instead of allowing a 3 attempt by a great shooter to tie the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I saw the 2nd OT, and Sexton was en fuego. Cleveland was using screens to get a defensive switch on him, but even when Durant ended up guarding him, Sexton could not be stopped. Sexton is hitting 50% on 3s for the year. I didn't see Sexton's late 3 to force a 2nd OT and wonder if the Nets didn't try to foul to force 2 free throws with a few seconds left, instead of allowing a 3 attempt by a great shooter to tie the game?
    Yeah, Collin Sexton in his 3rd year now averaging 27 pts/game (20.8 last year)

Amazing how many good young players there are in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, Collin Sexton in his 3rd year now averaging 27 pts/game (20.8 last year)

Amazing how many good young players there are in the NBA.
    His backcourt running mate, Darius Garland is averaging 17 and 6 assists... one of the top young backcourts in the league. With Jarrett Allen on the inside, the future is bright in Cleveland.

-Jason "Allen and Sexton are each 22, Garland is 20" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    His backcourt running mate, Darius Garland is averaging 17 and 6 assists... one of the top young backcourts in the league. With Jarrett Allen on the inside, the future is bright in Cleveland.

-Jason "Allen and Sexton are each 22, Garland is 20" Evans
    But can we make "Sexland" happen?

https://cavsnation.com/cavs-news-col...land-nickname/

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Sexton is hitting 50% on 3s for the year
    I think we’re going to have to revise our idea of what we think a good three-point shooting percentage is. Obviously it’s going to vary by position, with the big men always having a lower shooting percentage.

But with today’s players focusing on three-point shooting during games, during practice, and during the off-season, and with all of the young players having grown-up with the three-point shot being emphasized, I would think that very soon the standard for a good shooter will rise from today’s 40% to probably 43-45% or even higher. And players (especially non-big men), in the low-to-mid 30’s will be considered poor to very poor shooters — depending upon if they are in the mid 30’s (poor) or the low 30’s (very poor).

I too saw the OT and echo Duke79UNLV77's comments. Sexton was off the charts hot, hitting something like four or five 3's in a row in that 2nd OT. And that was even with Durant with a hand in his face on one of them. And as I was watching that game slip away from the Nets in that last frame I knew folk would be clamoring today about how horrible the Nets defense must have been. Not defending Brooklyn's defense for the entire game (which I didn't see), but that wasn't the issue in that 2nd OT. Just a case of a guy catching fire and being unstoppable. Can happen on any night, to any team, in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I too saw the OT and echo Duke79UNLV77's comments. Sexton was off the charts hot, hitting something like four or five 3's in a row in that 2nd OT. And that was even with Durant with a hand in his face on one of them. And as I was watching that game slip away from the Nets in that last frame I knew folk would be clamoring today about how horrible the Nets defense must have been. Not defending Brooklyn's defense for the entire game (which I didn't see), but that wasn't the issue in that 2nd OT. Just a case of a guy catching fire and being unstoppable. Can happen on any night, to any team, in the NBA.
    The Nets coaching staff disagrees. According to Nash:

“We had breakdowns all over the place,” Nash said. “We’ve got a lot of work to do. We know that. We’ve got to improve with our communication, improve with getting guys into better condition. We feel positive that we can improve defensively, but it’s got to be a priority for us.”

Also, my feeling is that if an opposing player is hot, (1) hopefully you have a great defensive player who can deny him the ball, and (2) players can get hot more easily if you play bad defense on them earlier in the game, as its gets them into a rhythm.

The Nets coaching staff disagrees. According to Nash:

“We had breakdowns all over the place,” Nash said. “We’ve got a lot of work to do. We know that. We’ve got to improve with our communication, improve with getting guys into better condition. We feel positive that we can improve defensively, but it’s got to be a priority for us.”

Also, my feeling is that if an opposing player is hot, (1) hopefully you have a great defensive player who can deny him the ball, and (2) players can get hot more easily if you play bad defense on them earlier in the game, as its gets them into a rhythm.
    Agree and I believe this logic can be applied to college basketball. I believe this happened when Wendell banked in his 3 pointer the other game. His confidence went up with that shot even it was pretty lucky. I even believe a player that's been in a slump shooting the ball can see the ball go through the net on a foul shot and his confidence soars. This part probably is more true for college players than NBA players.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Agree and I believe this logic can be applied to college basketball. I believe this happened when Wendell banked in his 3 pointer the other game. His confidence went up with that shot even it was pretty lucky. I even believe a player that's been in a slump shooting the ball can see the ball go through the net on a foul shot and his confidence soars. This part probably is more true for college players than NBA players.
    I remember Larry Bird saying something similar. If his shot isn’t going in early, he tries to get to the line to shoot free throws... see the ball go through the basket. Of course, he was a really good foul shooter... which helps

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I remember Larry Bird saying something similar. If his shot isn’t going in early, he tries to get to the line to shoot free throws... see the ball go through the basket. Of course, he was a really good foul shooter... which helps
    Yep, at the time Larry Bird retired he was the 2nd-best FT shooter of all time, behind only Rick Barry.