Page 73 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1725
    The reason could be (probably is) that I have a lot of Knicks commentators in my Twitter feed, but RJ is blowing up as the "most slept on young player in the NBA".

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The reason could be (probably is) that I have a lot of Knicks commentators in my Twitter feed, but RJ is blowing up as the "most slept on young player in the NBA".
    There are a lot of "slept on players", but RJ is certainly one of them. His "basic" stats are up only a little from year-to-year on a per 36 minute basis, but his efficiency has skyrocketed. FG, 3FG, FT...they're all way up. Offensive and defensive ratings are significantly improved. PER significantly higher.

RJ is a really likable player and will continue to improve. He's not like Zion or Kyrie, who are so physically gifted (Zion in his agility/size ratio and Kyrie with his elite quickness and handle), so he'll need time to mature.

He will be an All-Star. Not sure if it's next year, but it'll come fairly soon.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

How Things Have Changed

Just watched JJ check in for the first time with the Mavs and he received a standing ovation from the Dallas fans! He shared a nice moment with Seth at half court, as well.

RJ's "roll" (quoting front page) continues with a +18 against Lakers. Free throws especially promising.

Min FG 3Pt FT Reb Ast Stl Blk TO PF +/- Pts
    R. Barrett 33 2-11 0-4 3-4 3 3 2 1 1 2 +18 7

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    RJ's "roll" (quoting front page) continues with a +18 against Lakers. Free throws especially promising.

Those stats are terrible. How was he a +18? Kind of makes you wonder if that stat is actually meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Those stats are terrible. How was he a +18? Kind of makes you wonder if that stat is actually meaningful.
    One reason Thibodeau really likes RJ is that even when parts of his game aren't on like the shot falling, he keeps his head down and does what it takes to help the team win. He took open shots that didn't fall but didn't fall into the trap of trying to force things to get buckets. He did a nice job of drawing the defense to him and then start the swing of the ball that ended up at an open man. Knicks as a whole stunk shooting the three tonight (5-27) so they ground it out with defense.

Shane Battier became known as a no stats All-Star so I'm guessing he had a few less than impressive stat lines to get that name. Basketball stat line doesn't always show the value of a player.

Not saying +/- is a perfect stat by any means but it's not really less meaningful that other stats especially on a one game basis. Kind of like a baseball box score, you can go 0-4 with absolutely rockets that just happened to be hit right at people but you saved 3 runs with a diving catch and the guy following you in the order can go 2-4 with a broken bat looper and a seeing eye single and gets run on all day cause he has a noodle arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    One reason Thibodeau really likes RJ is that even when parts of his game aren't on like the shot falling, he keeps his head down and does what it takes to help the team win. He took open shots that didn't fall but didn't fall into the trap of trying to force things to get buckets. He did a nice job of drawing the defense to him and then start the swing of the ball that ended up at an open man. Knicks as a whole stunk shooting the three tonight (5-27) so they ground it out with defense.
    He finished better than he started. He was oh-for-the-first half but then settled in and scored a bit in the second. As Eternal Outlaw indicates, his passing was on-point and has really blossomed this year, and his defense, and role in the Knicks stifling team defense, is very important. By the way, the Lakers also looked really bad last night, but this Knicks D can make teams look bad. The Knicks have a top 5 defense but a bottom 10 offense. I am very curious to see how the front office tries to improve one without sacrificing the other in the offseason because, as we know, good offense typically beats good defense.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post

Here's a fun recap of RJ's clutch play over the last two weeks.

On March 31, Anthony Edwards said the Timberwolves were comfortable letting RJ take the last shot against them (he missed). Since then, RJ's strung together a number of clutch plays in different games, as the video in the tweet shows.

RJ is driven, few guys work harder than he does. That's a recipe for success...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    As for Zion, the bottom line is that I just love watching this kid play basketball. He's so unique and effective and seems like such a good kid. The Pels have enough pieces to win more than they have. Maybe having Zion play more Point Beast, ah, I mean Guard, will put them over the top.
    Unique and Effective are exemplified that when he was a rookie, everyone was anxious for the Pelicans to commit to "Zion at the 5" and now everyone wants them to commit to "Zion at the 1".

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Unique and Effective are exemplified that when he was a rookie, everyone was anxious for the Pelicans to commit to "Zion at the 5" and now everyone wants them to commit to "Zion at the 1".
    van Gundy gets a lot of hate on this board, but what he's doing with Zion is incredible.

BI is also playing a lot better. The bench is finally providing production.

If I'm a young star stuck on a crap team, I'm thinking of the Pelicans as my next destination. Zion, BI, and an elite 3-and-D would be nasty.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    van Gundy gets a lot of hate on this board, but what he's doing with Zion is incredible.

BI is also playing a lot better. The bench is finally providing production.

If I'm a young star stuck on a crap team, I'm thinking of the Pelicans as my next destination. Zion, BI, and an elite 3-and-D would be nasty.
    Thing is, they have that 3 and D guy in Lonzo Ball- the question is whether they will pay him! The front page DBR article seems to link the Pels recent success to Lonzo being out but they had started playing better before that - once SVG put the ball in Zions hands more

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    The front page DBR article seems to link the Pels recent success to Lonzo being out but they had started playing better before that - once SVG put the ball in Zions hands more
    Is he really worthy of being “SVG”?? You know, is he cool 😎 enough?

14. Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I took exception to the Zion at the 5 movement — that was my biggest complaint about Gentry. He was using Zion like a Shaq, which while Zion can do isn’t making full use of his talents. Zion at the 1 is working well because it ensures Zion gets touches. But if NO had an elite PG (not Lonzo) should Zion handle the ball all the time? He’s like LeBron in that sense. Should have the ball a lot, a point forward, but not really the team’s full time PG. I don’t know for example whether Zion would be able to deal with constant pressure on the ball.

Celtics beat Trailblazers 116-115. The Celtics were trailing by 1 with 40 seconds left before Tatum was fouled and hit 2 free throws. After a Lillard miss, Tatum hit a side-step 3 with 8.5 seconds left and the shot clock at 3 to give Boston a 4 point lead (against CJ McCollum). After a Powell 3 pointer, Smart was fouled with 3.5 seconds left and missed his first FT. Stevens then had Smart intentionally miss the second free throw so the Trailblazers wouldn't have time to get off a good shot. He was asked about the intentional miss after the game, and I half expected him to reference the Duke/Butler Championship game (Note, Boston was only up 1, so the free throw would have put them up 2. With no timeouts left, Portland was almost certain to take a 3 anyway - so it was not nearly as risky as the Coach K decision in 2010).

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    Thing is, they have that 3 and D guy in Lonzo Ball- the question is whether they will pay him! The front page DBR article seems to link the Pels recent success to Lonzo being out but they had started playing better before that - once SVG put the ball in Zions hands more
    When I'm watching Pels games, I always feel like they are really hard to stop when Lonzo is hitting 3's. Bledsoe is a problem, IMHO, because he's not the 3nD guy they need in that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Celtics beat Trailblazers 116-115. The Celtics were trailing by 1 with 40 seconds left before Tatum was fouled and hit 2 free throws. After a Lillard miss, Tatum hit a side-step 3 with 8.5 seconds left and the shot clock at 3 to give Boston a 4 point lead (against CJ McCollum). After a Powell 3 pointer, Smart was fouled with 3.5 seconds left and missed his first FT. Stevens then had Smart intentionally miss the second free throw so the Trailblazers wouldn't have time to get off a good shot. He was asked about the intentional miss after the game, and I half expected him to reference the Duke/Butler Championship game (Note, Boston was only up 1, so the free throw would have put them up 2. With no timeouts left, Portland was almost certain to take a 3 anyway - so it was not nearly as risky as the Coach K decision in 2010).
    I always find myself rooting FOR CJ McCollum. For me, the better he does in his NBA career, the more it justifies that NCAA tournament loss...

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Stevens then had Smart intentionally miss the second free throw so the Trailblazers wouldn't have time to get off a good shot. He was asked about the intentional miss after the game, and I half expected him to reference the Duke/Butler Championship game (Note, Boston was only up 1, so the free throw would have put them up 2. With no timeouts left, Portland was almost certain to take a 3 anyway - so it was not nearly as risky as the Coach K decision in 2010).
    Did Portland have Jusif Nurkic set a brutally illegal screen and lay out Markus Smart in their effort to get off a game-winning shot? That is how to make the comparison perfect.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Did Portland have Jusif Nurkic set a brutally illegal screen and lay out Markus Smart in their effort to get off a game-winning shot? That is how to make the comparison perfect.
    Can you imagine the outcry if Hayward had made that shot, while the refs ignored the obvious moving screen?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Can you imagine the outcry if Hayward had made that shot, while the refs ignored the obvious moving screen?
    Unfortunately, only 10% of college basketball fans would have been upset about it. The other 90% — who collectively hate Duke for some dumb reason — would have loved it.

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Unfortunately, only 10% of college basketball fans would have been upset about it. The other 90% — who collectively hate Duke for some dumb reason — would have loved it.
    Maybe Jim meant the outcry on this board?