Page 1 of 87 1231151 ... LastLast

Dukies in the NBA 2020-21

Didn't see a thread for the NBA regular season, so let's get it rolling.

A number of familiar faces had their first preseason games in new places, including Mason Pumlee and Jahlil Okafor in Detroit, Luke Kennard with the Clippers, and Harry Giles III making his debut with the Portland Trailblazers. HGIII had an impressive performance with 18 points, 14 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 3 steals in 25 minutes. He looked a lot like his high school highlights pre-injury against his former team, the Sacramento Kings. It would be very exciting to see Giles get close to his potential in Portland. If he does, things could look really interesting for the Blazers with Lilliard, McCollum, and Gary Trent, Jr. in the backcourt. I'm sure all of us on this board are pulling hard for Giles.

Extremely happy for Harry! I'm sure he had some extra "umpf" in his step last night playing against the team that just let him go. But I'd love to see him post solid numbers this year for the Blazers, who are now DukeWest with Harry, Rodney, and Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

A number of familiar faces had their first preseason games in new places, including Mason Pumlee and Jahlil Okafor in Detroit, Luke Kennard with the Clippers, and Harry Giles III making his debut with the Portland Trailblazers. HGIII had an impressive performance with 18 points, 14 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 3 steals in 25 minutes. He looked a lot like his high school highlights pre-injury against his former team, the Sacramento Kings. It would be very exciting to see Giles get close to his potential in Portland. If he does, things could look really interesting for the Blazers with Lilliard, McCollum, and Gary Trent, Jr. in the backcourt. I'm sure all of us on this board are pulling hard for Giles.

And don’t forget RJ, who played against Mason and Oak for my Knicks. Awful start but came on afterward. Played the 3 for much of his time. Good all around floor game. Still can’t shoot the 3. A couple of airballs if I remember.

Oak showed a couple of good post/paint moves. Looks trimmer. Not much from Mason.

A couple more notable performances for Dukies in the NBA last night.

Frank Jackson had 14 points for the Oklahoma City Thunder
    Vernon Carey, Cassius Stanley, and Tre Jones each made their debut with their respective teams with Jones having 1 point, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 1 steal, and 1 block in 7 minutes
    Grayson Allen did not put up much in the way of stats, but he did start for the Memphis Grizzlies

Looking at their lineup and what they do, it would not surprise me to see Grayson play his way into a starting role this season. They'll want shooters alongside Ja Morant and Allen hit 40% of his 3's last season. He averaged 13.6 points in the bubble. It would be great to see him build off of that this year on a team that should compete for a playoff spot.

Looks like one of those dunks was on Jabari. Duke on Duke violence.

All about the knees. He has talent for sure. Same can be said for Jabari.

Watching the Lakers/Clippers game- Quinn re-signed and having a nice game. Mark Jackson announcing said that Jason Tatum is now 6’ 10”. Wow!

Barrett had a nice 25 point game on 10-17 shooting.

Lots of Dukies in action tonight...Kennard (Clips), Plumlee (Pistons), Carter (Bulls), GT Jr (Blazers)...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Barrett had a nice 25 point game on 10-17 shooting.

Lots of Dukies in action tonight...Kennard (Clips), Plumlee (Pistons), Carter (Bulls), GT Jr (Blazers)...
    Is Kyrie such a pariah now that we aren’t going to include him anymore? He had 18 in only one half in the Nets preseason opener.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Is Kyrie such a pariah now that we aren’t going to include him anymore? He had 18 in only one half in the Nets preseason opener.
    Was that directed at me specifically or to DBR generally? I haven't said anything negative about KI. I was just skimming box scores...missed Giles, Okafor, Reddish (though he's out with an ankle injury)...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Was that directed at me specifically or to DBR generally? I haven't said anything negative about KI. I was just skimming box scores...missed Giles, Okafor, Reddish (though he's out with an ankle injury)...
    No, not to you directly. Sorry if it came off that way. I was speaking generally after no one had mentioned his opening game.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I’m very interested to see how Kyrie, KD and the Nets play this year. I hope Durant comes back at the same level, or at least close, and that both he and Kyrie stay healthy. What an intriguing pair to watch.

Good to see that Marques got some minutes for Cleveland on Saturday. Javin did not get even a token appearance though for Charlotte.

Rodney also made his return from injury Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I’m very interested to see how Kyrie, KD and the Nets play this year. I hope Durant comes back at the same level, or at least close, and that both he and Kyrie stay healthy. What an intriguing pair to watch.
    KD looked pretty good in the limited minutes yesterday. He's good for the league and if he and KI stay healthy, the Nets will be must watch TV many nights.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Good to see that Marques got some minutes for Cleveland on Saturday. Javin did not get even a token appearance though for Charlotte.

Rodney also made his return from injury Sunday.
    Javin is on the Hornets now? Or did you mean Vernon?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Javin is on the Hornets now? Or did you mean Vernon?
    Javin got basically a preseason contract with Charlotte.

A couple of standout and notable performances yesterday from a few Dukies, including Kyrie and RJ.

Wendell Carter, Jr. is poised for a big year if he can stay healthy. Replacing the entire front office and coaching staff is going to allow WCJ to expand his offensive role considerably. His stat line last night was somewhat modest: 7 pts/6 reb/3 ast/1 stl on 3-11 shooting. The assist numbers were good but the thing that stood out to me was the 1-4 shooting from 3. New head coach Billy Donovan is going to let Wendell shoot the ball, something the previous head coach did not allow. Carter could be this year's version of Bam Adebayo, a defensive stud that plays a versatile game as both a distributor and third option scoring the ball. I'm going to keep an eye on Wendell because I think this could be the year for him.

Quinn Cook had 14 points and 7 assist on 4-5 shooting from 3 last night against the Clippers and Luke Kennard.

Gary Trent, Jr. and Harry Giles III both had big games for the Trailblazers. Trent scored 17, although was not particularly efficient on just 7-18 shooting. He was accurate from 3 but struggled inside the arc. Scoring around the rim is going to take Trent to the next level as he's already proven to be an accurate 3-point shooter. Giles continued to torment his former team the Sacramento Kings. After his impressive opening performance, he put up 19 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and a block. The young man is on a mission. Can he provide this level of production against other teams? Rodney Hood also made his return and scored 2 points with 4 assists, a couple rebounds, and block. It's good to see him back out there. Between Trent, Giles, and Hood, Portland might have a potent bench this year.

Harry Giles playing so well has been so great to see.

How about Zion with 26pts, 11 rebounds and - the most impressive part - 10 for 11 from the line! FT's were a big weakness for him last season. Having Van Gundy there will be a good fit for him I think.

20. I didn't watch the game, but looking at the box score, I see zero steals and blocks. What happened? Zion got decent defensive stats while at Duke. Last year I attributed it to his coming back from injury, but he should be healthy right now.