BREAKING!! Duke cancels all remaining non-conference games

DURHAM – The Duke men's basketball program will forgo its remaining nonconference regular season basketball games for the 2020-21 season. The decision was made out of an abundance of caution due to the COVID-19 pandemic and to allow the Blue Devils' student-athletes time over the holidays to spend with their families.

Duke's game versus Charleston Southern that was originally scheduled for December 12 was postponed due to COVID protocols at CSU. That contest, along with a previously postponed game versus Elon, will not be rescheduled. Additionally, Duke's game versus Gardner-Webb, that had been rescheduled for December 19, has been canceled.

"This is the best decision we could make as a program, in making sure that we are doing the right thing for our players," said Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski. "This will also allow our team to have time over the holidays to safely enjoy with their families. These kids need to be with their families, at least for a little bit. So we will play the Notre Dame game on December 16, and then allow our team four or five days at home before returning here to prepare for the remainder of our ACC schedule – and hopefully get to play all of them. These kids go through so much, and we need to take care of them."

With strict protocols in place, including no fans or family members in attendance for games at Cameron Indoor Stadium, student-athletes on the Duke men's basketball team have had limited to no in-person contact with their immediate family since reporting to campus in August.

By canceling the remaining non-conference games, the Blue Devils now have the needed flexibility in the schedule to have student-athletes depart and return to campus in a manner that follows Duke University's campus protocols for travel.

Duke will return to action on Wednesday, December 16 for the ACC opener at Notre Dame. The game is set for 9 p.m. ET on ESPN.

#GoDuke
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I find the part about players getting to go home for Christmas and then come back very true to the ethics by which Coach K has led his life.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I find the part about players getting to go home for Christmas and then come back very true to the ethics by which Coach K has led his life.
    How come they won't need a two-week quarantine when they get back to school?

Video of K discussing this decision:

https://twitter.com/dukembb/status/1...058620929?s=21
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

We cancelled the ACC and NCAA Tournaments during much less deadly COVID-19 conditions than the USA is currently experiencing and will likely continue to experience for several more months.

This is the right decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    How come they won't need a two-week quarantine when they get back to school?
    If I'm reading this correctly, that's not the university policy: https://returnto.duke.edu/public-hea...id-19-testing/

Students merely need to pass a Covid test upon arriving to campus (and they need to sequester until the test results return).

What about the FSU football game Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    What about the FSU football game Saturday?
    Well, it's a conference game. And we have a chance to set the all-time record for turnovers in a season.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly, that's not the university policy: https://returnto.duke.edu/public-hea...id-19-testing/

Students merely need to pass a Covid test upon arriving to campus (and they need to sequester until the test results return).
    Looks like you're right, but that would seem to be a risky policy.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Agreed.

Is this really a big deal? The Elon and Charleston Southern games were unlikely to be rescheduled as there is simply no room in the schedule. All this really means is that the Garner Webb game will not be played. This feels like the headline (“Duke cancels entire remaining conference season!!!”) is made out to be more than it really is - one game being cancelled, which honestly had a high likelihood of being cancelled already.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Is this really a big deal? The Elon and Charleston Southern games were unlikely to be rescheduled as there is simply no room in the schedule. All this really means is that the Garner Webb game will not be played. This feels like the headline (“Duke cancels entire remaining conference season!!!”) is made out to be more than it really is.
    that was my thought.
    April 1

Just my own observation, but from watching his announcement, Coach K looks like he could use a break himself.

While I'm going to miss watching the kids play a game or two, I absolutely love Coach K's decision to let them re-connect with family for the holidays.
    Priorities.
    Coach K has been getting them right for decades - and did so again with this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Is this really a big deal? The Elon and Charleston Southern games were unlikely to be rescheduled as there is simply no room in the schedule. All this really means is that the Garner Webb game will not be played. This feels like the headline (“Duke cancels entire remaining conference season!!!”) is made out to be more than it really is - one game being cancelled, which honestly had a high likelihood of being cancelled already.
    I assume this is not counted as a forfeit even if not Covid related?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I assume this is not counted as a forfeit even if not Covid related?
    I wouldn't hesitate to say EVERY decision is covid related these days

Time to turn the page towards ACC play. I'm interested to see what changes Duke makes during the long layoff.

Weirdest "Phase One" ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Weirdest "Phase One" ever.
    Agreed, although “Health” is always the #1 consideration in every Phase post.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quarantine

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Looks like you're right, but that would seem to be a risky policy.
    Quarantine should be applied after exposure to a known case or someone with a high risk exposure themselves -there has been movement to encourage quarantine simply based on travel but that is not based on strong evidence, at least in the mask wearing era. Duke players are tested daily on campus, so a negative test or return and another 5 days later if no additional contacts would be appropriate