Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Who had "Alabama Coach Oats" as first to say K is whining?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ng-tied-losses

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Jinx

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Who knew there was an “Alabama Coach Oats”?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Who knew there was an “Alabama Coach Oats”?
    He is turning into a very good recruiter and bet Bama will be competing hard with Kentucky, Auburn, Tennessee b-ball programs while he’s coach. He’s also entitled to his opinion; though I wouldn’t have targeted K that way.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I guess it’s good for the adults whose salary depends on the game, but it’s painful to watch our coach in his 70’s in a mediocre mask being exposed to a whole bunch of unmasked humans who are raining spit on him all night, and presumably all week. Sure, Duke has a low rate of infection, but does Illinois? Over the summer, we held Notre Dame up as a likely paragon of COVID virtue, and that school—from its president on down—has proven to be an international embarrassment.
    Strongly agree...

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...20#post1313820

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    He is turning into a very good recruiter and bet Bama will be competing hard with Kentucky, Auburn, Tennessee b-ball programs while he’s coach. He’s also entitled to his opinion; though I wouldn’t have targeted K that way.
    It was a jerk comment. I suspect K won't forget it. I'd like nothing more than for Duke to beat Bama in the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    It was a jerk comment. I suspect K won't forget it. I'd like nothing more than for Duke to beat Bama in the tourney.
    Oats was a fairly prominent HS coach in the Detroit area until he got his first college job as an assistant to Bobby Hurley at Buffalo.

It is one thing for him to think such things. It is another thing to say them. I don't think that veteran coaches should get a pass just for time served. But in this case Oats was being a jerk for calling out Coach K. He can politely disagree and move on. But in this day and age, being edgy is often considered an asset so I'm sure there will be recruits who think it is great that he did this.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Oats was a fairly prominent HS coach in the Detroit area until he got his first college job as an assistant to Bobby Hurley at Buffalo.

It is one thing for him to think such things. It is another thing to say them. I don't think that veteran coaches should get a pass just for time served. But in this case Oats was being a jerk for calling out Coach K. He can politely disagree and move on. But in this day and age, being edgy is often considered an asset so I'm sure there will be recruits who think it is great that he did this.
    I'm sure more people know his name today than did yesterday.

K was one of the first to call for 2020 ncaa tournament to be canceled. That was win Duke had a good team with a chance to win it all. Although not the favorite but still a decent shot

I'm sure more people know his name today than did yesterday.
    I had to google him.

His nearly two-minute answer is worth listening to in its entirety. The goofy shot at K is what it is - as the poet says, haters gonna you know. The rest of it, though, has a very strong subtext (or outright text) of I got COVID and I’m fine now so it’s not that bad and you just gotta live your life - which is not a good look at all while 3000 people a day are dying. There’s a good point buried in there about players’ mental health, the effects of isolation, etc., and I suspect K would agree with those points as well - but the presentation by this coach whose name I have already forgotten does not cast him in a good light.

Two thoughts:

1. Alabama being strongly a red state, I'm sure this plays well with his supporters.
    2. Get Alabama on the non-conference schedule next year. Take no prisoners.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

It takes 5 paragraphs for ESPN to mention that Coach K has been critical of the NCAA's decision-making re: safety for months (i.e. long before the two losses):

Krzyzewski has questioned the decisions by NCAA officials, including senior vice president of men's basketball Dan Gavitt, in recent months. He previously said the NCAA should be open to moving the tournament back, months after requesting an all-inclusive postseason with every team in the country invited. Overall, his message has centered on criticism of the leadership governing the sport in a pandemic.

I suppose I should be satisfied that it was mentioned at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I mean, I've seen many fans echo what Oats is saying, and many coaches are probably thinking the same. (You could click on any youtube video of Coach K's remarks and see the snide responses in the comments [or not if you're sane :-]). That, of course, doesn't mean that Oats is blameless because he jumped to a popular conclusion and voiced it; he probably *is* being a jerk here. Still, it would've been nice if the media had provided the context that Coach K has been critical of the NCAA and concerned about player safety long before the Illinois and MSU spankings when reporting on his post-Illinois comments. He didn't just all of a sudden think this season was a bad idea after the 15-pt beatdown.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

I was surprised by Oats’ shot and even more surprised that a former assistant to someone (Hurley) that I assume is still very close to Coach K would be the one to take it.

Id be surprised if the season finishes to be honest.much less get a tournament. Oats well its already been said.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    I was surprised by Oats’ shot and even more surprised that a former assistant to someone (Hurley) that I assume is still very close to Coach K would be the one to take it.
    Me too. It does show that he has no fear of being humiliated if Duke and Bama get matched up in the tourney some time before K retires.
    Carolina delenda est

The hate Coach K is getting is ridiculous. But I expect nothing less when it comes to Duke and Coach K. People will criticize for quite literally anything.

Kudos to Leonard Hamilton

I was very impressed that Coach Hamilton kept his mask on throughout the game last night. He also wore pretty heavy duty gloves (though I noticed that he took one off at least once). I've noticed in the games I've watched so far that almost all coaches (including K, cough, cough) pull theirs down when talking face to face with their players and especially the refs. As someone mentioned up-post, during time-outs you have sweaty players who are breathing hard and probably adding "moisture" to the huddle.

On the other hand, why were so many people allowed in to the the FSU game last night, including cheerleaders and pep band? Maybe Florida's cover protocol is less strict? And why don't the NCAA mandate that refs have to wear masks throughout the game?...

A big LOL at the idea that the guy who is by far the best coach in the current sport and at absolute worst the second-best coach in the history of the sport is being motivated by his team being a 6 seed instead of a 2 seed this year or whatever. I could maybe see being skeptical of the motivation of a coach who is on the hot seat wanting to the season to be canceled, but come on.

If I sat someone down who knew zero about basketball and had them listen to Coach K's comments on COVID and basketball, Seth Greenberg's comments on COVID and basketball, and the comments of Oates or Oats or Granola or whatever his name is, I bet they could easily figure out which one of the three is considered the best leader, manager, and coach in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Im4howdy View Post
    I was very impressed that Coach Hamilton kept his mask on throughout the game last night. He also wore pretty heavy duty gloves (though I noticed that he took one off at least once). I've noticed in the games I've watched so far that almost all coaches (including K, cough, cough) pull theirs down when talking face to face with their players and especially the refs. As someone mentioned up-post, during time-outs you have sweaty players who are breathing hard and probably adding "moisture" to the huddle.

On the other hand, why were so many people allowed in to the the FSU game last night, including cheerleaders and pep band? Maybe Florida's cover protocol is less strict? And why don't the NCAA mandate that refs have to wear masks throughout the game?...
    Yes, FL has instituted fewer restrictions and FSU has decided to allow certain things. I imagine if Duke was in FL, there'd be no difference but legally they COULD. (I'm not sure the NC regulations right now.) There's been widepsread variance in football stadiums across the country. There are state-by-state and school-by-school protocols, so it's all inconsistent. The school needs to be within the construct of the state/conference though, but can always pose more stringent measures if desired.

Thumbs down Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...games-pandemic

It’s almost certainly going to be a chorus of “Coach K is just saying this because his team is not good this year.”
    Nate Oats has 10% of the wins Coach K. Plain and simple a loud mouth seeking attention. There isn’t another coach in the game who has earned more respect from his players. The thing that bothers me about Oats is he plants his attack with a reporter then talks about two losses as if that alone would cause Coach to want to suspend. Coach doesn’t need those 2 wins. Oats needs 1000.