Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I get what K is saying but don't get why he would say it to the media. Sure seems like he doesn't want to be coaching in empty arenas. Just have to make the best of it. it's the hand we're playing right now. Really perplexing why he would say this out loud. Pretty obvious he doesn't want to be there. Seemed so sad about the situation.

Here's what I said in the Charleston Southern game is postponed thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Listening to Coach K's comment/statement in last night's presser, I'm expecting Duke's next game to be sometime in March or April after the vaccine has had time to work its magic. I doubt Saturday's football game as FSU will be played, and that Duke will put all athletics on pause for the next 2-4 months. Expect the ACC and NCAA to follow Duke's lead, as they did in March.
    I told someone this morning that this would happen either before Saturday's games are played, or just after. Don't be surprised when it happens.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    ...Of course, you'll also have to deal with Matt Norlander's pointed criticisms of our team but, if you can't stand the heat and all that.
    Pshaw. What else is new?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    Pretty obvious he doesn't want to be there. Seemed so sad about the situation.
    Horrible situation when you’re 73, smart enough to fully understand the Covid risk, and too loyal to walk away from your team! I can only imagine what his wife has said to him.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I've already seen plenty of comments on social media along the lines of "looks like he's going to fake another back injury."
    I mean, we're going to play like a really good team at some point this season (I'll define that as top-10 in case anyone's wondering), and it might not even take that long, either.

The criticism is stupid, but it's even stupid re: the underlying assumption. I believe in this team.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    And it's gonna get a lot, lot, worse. TG spike is about to fit, followed by Xmas travelling, suppressed immune systems due to the weather, and excited anticipation for wide distribution of the vaccine in April/May.

Collectively, sports should be the last thing we're focused on.
    Amen!

Plus, another new study out about damage to the blood vessels of children (both asymptomatic and symptomatic) - very scary:

https://www.studyfinds.org/children-...vessel-damage/

Still a LOT about the virus that doctors and scientists do not understand and what the long-term effects might be for even young people who become infected. IMHO, it is highly irresponsible and disgraceful for the "adults" - administrators, coaches, athletic directors, etc - involved in college sports to be "forcing" the season on the young athletes. Coach K is right here (again, IMO).

The main, simple point that K was making is that circumstances have dramatically changed in the past month or two and college basketball needs to re-evaluate what we are doing given - 1. we are being told that the next 6 weeks are going to be very very bad and games are being cancelled left and right - and 2. we now have an extremely effective vaccine that will be administered over the next weeks and months. His second point is that the NCAA isn't nimble enough to quickly and appropriately react to these changing circumstances. Who can argue with this.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Who can argue with this.
    Unfortunately, half of America... just name the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Yes, well there is that.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Delaying the regular season was the right call from the beginning, but better late than never. And I don't care what random people on the internet are going to say. They don't matter. The people who make decisions know what Coach K is actually about.

One of the best lines I have ever heard:
    "A person is smart. People are dumb."
    K, Men in Black

I am not even a tiny bit interested in what people who have absolutely no stake in the game and no relationship with the coaches think or feel.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil
    One of the best lines I have ever heard:
    "A person is smart. People are dumb."
    K, Men in Black
    That’s awesome... thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I am not even a tiny bit interested in what people who have absolutely no stake in the game and no relationship with the coaches think or feel.
    Is that a Jay Bilas quote?

That’s awesome... thanks.

Is that a Jay Bilas quote?
    Ha! Dangit!

Coach K can handle the heat. I don't think he is much affected by criticism.

I think he's right but I wish he wouldn't have said it after a bad loss.

I'm torn. I'm thoroughly enjoying the diversion of college basketball and football games even with a disappointing Duke product this year

At the same time, I'm being really careful. I'm a few years younger than K but my wife and I are taking all reasonable precautions against this disease. I don't worry as much about the athletes, being young and fit, but I don't want them, their families or their coaches to get sick and have lasting consequences.

I think this will all play out poorly with the increase in infection and deaths, 3,000 deaths today.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena. *

* Theodore Roosevelt
    Bob Green

The thing that is hilarious is when Coach K said his comments yesterday he even acknowledged the media/outsiders would make it a big deal and tried to pre-emptively address. He basically forecasted exactly what happened. Think he knows a thing or two about how his comments are misconstrued by the media? Not his first rodeo.

It seems back in March that they were predicting a 2nd wave during flu season, which is now actually a third wave. With 12-60,000 deaths from the flu during a typical year since 2010, it seemed to make sense that what is going on now was inevitable. So I don't understand why this wasn't taken into account when they decided to start the season in the first place...in mid November. And you would think that a man with K's clout would have had a stronger stand on this subject a month ago.

With what they were looking at 8 months ago and the certainty of an elevated flu season with a virus that spreads much easier, even having a basketball season should not have been an option. But we did anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    It seems back in March that they were predicting a 2nd wave during flu season, which is now actually a third wave. With 12-60,000 deaths from the flu during a typical year since 2010, it seemed to make sense that what is going on now was inevitable. So I don't understand why this wasn't taken into account when they decided to start the season in the first place...in mid November. And you would think that a man with K's clout would have had a stronger stand on this subject a month ago.

With what they were looking at 8 months ago and the certainty of an elevated flu season with a virus that spreads much easier, even having a basketball season should not have been an option. But we did anyway.
    I $u$pect there i$ a rea$on or two for that.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Dealing with the unknown is eerie.

After the Louisville (73) Duke (49) women's game I asked Kara Lawson about her comfort level in playing right now and deeper into winter.

Her response? "I don't think we should be playing right now."

Hard to be any more emphatic than that. Before anyone had a chance to follow up, Lawson got up and left.

We've all seen people who sort wanted to say something but realized it might be better to swallow their words and walk away. She had that look.

So, K isn't the only Duke head coach with significant reservations.