Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

2021 Football

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    Excellent observation, DTD. The ability to change and adapt faster than the competition is essential to success. Establishing and sustaining a culture with that core value starts at the top. Considering Coach Cutcliff age and tenure, Succession Planning should have been in place.
    As we think about the 2021 football season, an optimist would see the benefit of having 2021 spring practice and fall camp--neither of which happen in 2020--and a more "normal" schedule with 4 nonconference games (vs 1 in 2020) with Duke being favored in three of them. Such a person would also see injured players returning, e.g., at center and in the DB. There's also our QBs--I hope this applies to Brice--benefitting from playing for a year. We remember that Jones struggled often during his first year--of course, he also led Duke to victories over Carolina and ND in that first year.

A pessimist would would worry about depth-especially on defense--and whether it makes sense for the head coach also to call plays. Others with football minds better than me can weigh in on that one. Another question is why a school with a world-class med school has so many injuries? I wonder how Duke's injuries to key players compare to others in the ACC? We always seem to have backbreaking injuries, including in preseason.

Without any inside knowledge, my prediction is that Coach Cutcliffe is the coach in 2021 in part due to the economic stress created by the pandemic on all budgets, including athletics.

I talked to members of the Duke Board of Trustees prior to the stadium fundraising/construction who indicated that the University leadership--not just the Athletic Department-was committed to being successful in football if for no other reason than the economics demanded it. I hope that's still true.

Unwatchable football is not a good result for 2020. Cutcliffe needs to own this failure and recognize the changes necessary to right the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Unwatchable football is not a good result for 2020. Cutcliffe needs to own this failure and recognize the changes necessary to right the ship.
    No sweat. I hear we are getting Gus Malzahn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    No sweat. I hear we are getting Gus Malzahn.
    I wish!

Bring on Malzahn as OC for a year. Upgrade the Duke offense while he rehabilitates his reputation, then, hire him as head coach.
    It’s that simple.

Back to my regularly scheduled Stout.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Bring on Malzahn as OC for a year. Upgrade the Duke offense while he rehabilitates his reputation, then, hire him as head coach.
    It’s that simple.

Back to my regularly scheduled Stout.
    You don't say...

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...?3840-Ymm-Beer

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.