Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Wow a team that runs an offense and passes and sets picks to get guys open- what a concept. I thought an offense was 5 guys outside the three point line- dribbling for 15 seconds and either throwing up a three or driving to the lane hoping not to charge. So much to learn about basketball.
    Well from what I hear, offense is all about getting the shots you want, so if you want contested 3s then the offense you described is perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    For what it's worth, my Boston-area cable provider (Xfinity) indicates that the Duke game will be broadcast on NESN+. However, Xfinity also shows that, at 7PM Friday, "regular" NESN will be broadcasting a UMass/UNH hockey game which appears to have been postponed due to COVID.

So, I guess I am saying to beware if you plan to DVR the game in New England. NESN may end up switching the Duke game from NESN+ to NESN. If so, any DVR set to NESN+ may end up recording a rerun of "Ice Fishing with Big Papi on Mooselookmeguntic Lake"* instead of the Duke game.

*No, sadly, that is not a real show- even if it would be far more entertaining that most of what NESN shows.
    Indeed, that was my original point, no matter what your on screen schedule says, it's good to check when the game begins if NESN (or anyone else) is really broadcasting it. Via DirecTV I am generally confined to NESN, but if it isn't being shown on NESN then I can get it on other channels like Fox Sports South...I've seen NESN abandon a lot of Duke games in favor of hockey or some BC jibberish...

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    can you send us down some heady topper from alchemist???
    would love to, but there's the refrigeration angle...that's why it's as precious as Covid vaccine. Actually I had to declare a Heady Topper moratorium after the stress of the election was (mostly) over, I had
    about seven pounds of Heady wrapped around my middle, now it's down to about three pounds.

But Duke visitors are always welcome here..

Looking forward to watching our opponent run their offense. I expect them to be very deliberate in their halfcourt sets and have some good cutting, screening, passing, backdoor cutting, and open shots/layups.

Duke will be favored by a lot I’m assuming but it will be good to work on the halfcourt defense tomorrow and a good film for teaching the guys some halfcourt defensive principles.

Let’s Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    would love to, but there's the refrigeration angle...that's why it's as precious as Covid vaccine. Actually I had to declare a Heady Topper moratorium after the stress of the election was (mostly) over, I had
    about seven pounds of Heady wrapped around my middle, now it's down to about three pounds.

But Duke visitors are always welcome here..
    Next time. My sister lives in brookfield. I may or may not have brought freezer blocks and a cooler specifically to drive heady topper back down. It may or may not also be entirely gone already. oops.
    April 1

Next time. My sister lives in brookfield. I may or may not have brought freezer blocks and a cooler specifically to drive heady topper back down. It may or may not also be entirely gone already. oops.
    Luminaries such as DevilDeac have made the pilgrimage with their fancy coolers and such. Hey, Brookfield is a really lovely spot, eh?

Luminaries such as DevilDeac have made the pilgrimage with their fancy coolers and such. Hey, Brookfield is a really lovely spot, eh?
    Except when you find yourself driving across a floating bridge in the middle of the night since google maps even gets lost and none of the roads meet at right angles!
    April 1

Except when you find yourself driving across a floating bridge in the middle of the night since google maps even gets lost and none of the roads meet at right angles!
    Ha, I think they just closed the floating bridge for the Winter. GPS systems have an AWFUL time up here, I don't think the mapmakers care much about a largely uninhabited state. Many friends get sent to nowhere, several have been sent to
    our house on a closed road which goes thru an active military firing range...good thing there's a gate.

Several years ago some visitors from CT were in Burlington (the state's largest city by far), it was a foggy night, they didn't know where they were going, but they followed the GPS instructions which led them to the local Coast Guard station and down the concrete ramp directly into Lake Champlain...the cops actually recreated this the next day because it sounded so unlikely. No one drowned.

SI story

on Bellarmine.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/12/0...otty-davenport

Worth a read. Kinda nice for a Div. 1 baptism.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Check out these affiliates first: https://theacc.com/sports/2020/11/28...ELL_DU_20.aspx

(For example, perhaps you have MASN or NESN)

Otherwise, I *think* if you have the ACC Network thru Hulu Live, you'll be able to watch the game on the ESPN app.
    Unfortunately, ESPN is still not providing blackout maps for these events so it is hard to know whether the edge case markets can get the game on ESPN's ACCNX.

People in the blackout zone are generally only able to watch on one of the channels from the link or the online service provided by that channel.

Also, if you are like me and your local RSN does not carry this package and are used to watching on ESPN College Extra, that option does not appear to be available as handling football and basketball at the same time is apparently too complex for ESPN. DirecTV has generally countered this by leaving one of the RSNs carrying the game unblocked, which I have been checking each time this syndication deal has been utilized, including Niagara-Syracuse today. DirecTV has generally been very good about making sure that people who subscribe to Sports Pack get the game somehow, but strictly speaking that is not actually supposed to happen in some cases and we have largely been lucky over the years.

Underhill...if you ski at Stowe and go down the wrong side of the mountain (as some do) you can end up in my yard.
    Ohmygod! Are you related to the Underhills of Bree?!?! (Lord of the Rings reference...sorry)

Why does ESPN still blackout the games when there are no fans in the stadiums?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Why does ESPN still blackout the games when there are no fans in the stadiums?
    I believe it's because RSN has primacy in any given market where they elect to distribute the game.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Ohmygod! Are you related to the Underhills of Bree?!?! (Lord of the Rings reference...sorry)
    If they are really cool, wonderful people, then I imagine I am!

For those of you pondering which streaming service to get, there might be a little (emphasis on little) financial relief coming your way soon.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s?srnd=premium

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    For those of you pondering which streaming service to get, there might be a little (emphasis on little) financial relief coming your way soon.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s?srnd=premium
    hard to imagine those pikers forking over much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Wow a team that runs an offense and passes and sets picks to get guys open- what a concept. I thought an offense was 5 guys outside the three point line- dribbling for 15 seconds and either throwing up a three or driving to the lane hoping not to charge. So much to learn about basketball.
    Haha, let me add that there's a chance Bellarmine looks pretty ugly on offense today going up against an angry Duke team (and in Bellarmine's first game of the season, to boot). Theoretically, if Duke communicates well, we should smother this team with our athleticism and energy (again, coming off a loss). Bellarmine would much rather play against traditional bigs that are uncomfortable playing away from the basket rather than guys like Matthew, Jalen, and Jaemyn who can match up with Bellarmine's perimeter-oriented bigs. Further, our guards have the quickness, length, and (I think) IQ to track Bellarmine's guards when they cut to the basket or to the 3-pt line, and we can probably pick off a decent amount of steals, too. If all goes well, it will be Bellarmine that is forced to go 1-on-1 more than they want to because their typical options are cut off.

That's my hope, anyway. I took Duke -16.5 in the first half. (Unfortunately not available in the Degenerates league). We'll see how it plays out.

I'm going to make a prediction. Based on all the negative talk about Wendell Moore after the last game, and the lack of confidence in him that posters on this board have shown, I am going to predict that he will have a great game tonight. Mind you, I have no rational basis for this prediction; I am only making it because a lot of you seem to think he has regressed.

So here's my prediction: Moore will score 14 or more points, have 6 or more rebounds, and fewer than 2 turnovers in tonight's game.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    So here's my prediction: Moore will score 14 or more points, have 6 or more rebounds, and fewer than 2 turnovers in tonight's game.
    The first two of those seem much more likely than the last. But given that Bellarmine is playing it's first-ever D1 game, I don't think any of those is out of reach, and I very much hope you are right.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I'm looking for Wendell to get going early and often and gain some confidence. I think the coaching staff see this as a priority and they will make it a point of emphasis to get Wendell going. From what I can tell, Wendell is the emerging team leader and his emergence would provide the team with a rudder. I think Jalen is more comfortable in a support role now.

As long as Jalen lets the game come to him, I look for him to put big, efficient numbers. Jalen seems so comfortable with his size, using it really well on drives and in traffic. It helps to have good handles.

I thought Matt has looked really good and seems to be getting more comfortable out there. He had a couple of really nice strong drives last game blowing by Bingam (sp?). I look for him to get a double-double tonight.

I think we see a big game from Steward and decent game from Roach as they will be more comfortable with the size and experience of Bellarmine.

Haha - rsvman beat me to the same thought. In my defense I'm running on caffeine fumes here!