Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Bellarmine (Fri 12/4 @ 7:00 p.m. RSN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

After a tough loss to MSU, Duke looks to regroup against Bellarmine, a brand-new member of Division 1 basketball this season. Bellarmine joins the Atlantic Sun Conference and is picked to finish near the bottom of the conference. As this will be Bellarmine's first game as D-I team, there's not a lot to analyze as far as tape from previous games or stats. Last season, Bellarmine compiled a 20-8 record as a D-II team. The top returning scorer is 6'3" JR G Dylan Penn who averaged 11.6 points per game last season. Penn did not take or make many 3-point attempts last season, although the Knights made better than 40% from 3-point range as a team. It's not a very big team, either, with only 3 players listed taller than 6'7" and no one clocking in above 220 pounds.

I expect Duke to have a serious advantage in the frontcourt with Jalen Johnson and Matthew Hurt being able to score nearly at will. Duke should also enjoy a rebounding advantage as Bellarmine appears to be constructed to be a jump-shooting team. The main points to notice will be how Duke responds to Tuesday's game and how individual players perform. Will we finally see Henry Coleman and Patrick Tape in action? I hope to see a more focused team from the start and one that puts together a complete game. This will be Duke's easiest opponent and might be the only game Duke plays this weekend as part of the Mako Medical Duke Classic.

Ok, so I live in Rhode Island, have Hulu and ESPN. Can I watch this game?

Bellarmine was a great Div II bball program before migrating to Div I starting this season; in the past decade, they won a national championship and made three additional Final Fours.

They will be a very nice test for our defense because they pass, cut, and shoot with precision.

Check out all the problems they caused last year's Louisville team (in an eventual 10-pt home win for Lville)

I agree with DBA that theoretically we should score well against this team, and if we don't, it's getting closer to panic time about our offense.

Quote Originally Posted by DrChainsaw View Post
    Ok, so I live in Rhode Island, have Hulu and ESPN. Can I watch this game?
    Check out these affiliates first: https://theacc.com/sports/2020/11/28...ELL_DU_20.aspx

(For example, perhaps you have MASN or NESN)

Otherwise, I *think* if you have the ACC Network thru Hulu Live, you'll be able to watch the game on the ESPN app.

Here's a postgame thread from when Duke played Bellarmine in 2011 (exhibition): https://forums.dukebasketballreport...st-Game-Thread

Same Bellarmine coach (the legendary Scotty Davenport) and same quality of program back then.

Example of what we'll be dealing with. Precision thread-the-needle pass for a layup on the backdoor cut:

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Check out these affiliates first: https://theacc.com/sports/2020/11/28...ELL_DU_20.aspx

Otherwise, I *think* if you have the ACC Network thru Hulu Live, you'll be able to watch the game on the ESPN app.
    Be advised that NESN can be unreliable, even if they say they'll be showing the Duke game...I record games and watch on a delayed basis, and last Saturday NESN stiffed the Duke-GT football game and showed some BC documentary instead.
    I did catch the game on Fox Sports South, which I get on DirecTV.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Be advised that NESN can be unreliable, even if they say they'll be showing the Duke game...I record games and watch on a delayed basis, and last Saturday NESN stiffed the Duke-GT football game and showed some BC documentary instead.
    With the Northeast, it's inconsistent. But they always show the weird Duke basketball games listed as "RSN" on some network.

BTW - where in VT do you live?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    With the Northeast, it's inconsistent. But they always show the weird Duke basketball games listed as "RSN" on some network.

BTW - where in VT do you live?
    Underhill...if you ski at Stowe and go down the wrong side of the mountain (as some do) you can end up in my yard.

Yes, that should be correct. I have Hulu Live. Watch ESPN has ACCNX showing the game.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Yes, that should be correct. I have Hulu Live. Watch ESPN has ACCNX showing the game.

9F
    That's good news. I thought I was going to be skipping this one. It's definitely on the ACCNX streaming.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Will we finally see Henry Coleman and Patrick Tapé in action?
    If Duke blows out Bellarmine as expected (and if they don't, OMG), and if Tapé doesn't play this game, and if he isn't injured, it would seem he was recruited to be a 1-year practice player with the *possibility* of earning game time. Not sure why he would agree to that for his last year of eligibility, but perhaps that was included in the story behind his committal/de-committal/re-committal. Given that the Ivy League canceled their season due to the pandemic, at least he gets to suit up... but one has to believe he didn't sign with Duke knowing he wouldn't see 1 minute of action in his first two games.

I really hope he steps it up, as IMO this team needs upperclass leadership on the court. Perhaps he's doing it in the locker room, of course. But I mentioned before in a post that I would be disappointed to see another Sean Obi situation. After the hype, he played a grand total of 27 minutes in his one season (he was injured at the start of that season, but as it turned out that probably wasn't much of a factor in his meaningful minutes). And one might argue that Obi was better at Rice compared to Tapé at Columbia.

9F
    Last edited by -jk; 12-03-2020 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Add an apostrophe to tape to autocorrect to Tapé
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

For what it's worth, my Boston-area cable provider (Xfinity) indicates that the Duke game will be broadcast on NESN+. However, Xfinity also shows that, at 7PM Friday, "regular" NESN will be broadcasting a UMass/UNH hockey game which appears to have been postponed due to COVID.

So, I guess I am saying to beware if you plan to DVR the game in New England. NESN may end up switching the Duke game from NESN+ to NESN. If so, any DVR set to NESN+ may end up recording a rerun of "Ice Fishing with Big Papi on Mooselookmeguntic Lake"* instead of the Duke game.

*No, sadly, that is not a real show- even if it would be far more entertaining that most of what NESN shows.

Underhill...if you ski at Stowe and go down the wrong side of the mountain (as some do) you can end up in my yard.
    can you send us down some heady topper from alchemist???
    April 1

Example of what we'll be dealing with. Precision thread-the-needle pass for a layup on the backdoor cut:

Wow a team that runs an offense and passes and sets picks to get guys open- what a concept. I thought an offense was 5 guys outside the three point line- dribbling for 15 seconds and either throwing up a three or driving to the lane hoping not to charge. So much to learn about basketball.

It is listed on YES if you are in Yankeeland.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    can you send us down some heady topper from alchemist???
    Wrong thread.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

In the Triad it is on Direct TV channel 646-1. Anybody hear about a game Saturday with Howard?

Dumb question - I don't see this on the "regular" ACCNetwork. ACCNX is on the ESPN App, right? I live in SC

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Dumb question - I don't see this on the "regular" ACCNetwork. ACCNX is on the ESPN App, right? I live in SC
    I think so. Click to college basketball and it should be listed.