DBR Podcast #256 - Breaking down the loss to Sparty

https://traffic.megaphone.fm/VMP7189574142.mp3

We try to figure out what happened against Michigan State on Episode 256 of the Duke Basketball Report Podcast. On this episode, we spend a lot of time analyzing what went wrong in Duke’s loss against the Michigan State Spartans. From the ineffective offense to the issues with intensity, we discuss what Duke needs to do to improve from here. We react to some quotes from the postgame press conference from Coach K, Jordan Goldwire, and Matthew Hurt, and we also react to a listener’s question about this year’s leadership and who it could be.

After the break, we discuss Duke Basketball’s upcoming game against Bellarmine and the fact that the game against the Elon Phoenix is now canceled due to coronavirus protocols within the Elon program. We preview Bellarmine and what we’re looking for the Blue Devils to do to get back on track.

Finally, Duke Football is back this weekend against the Miami Hurricanes instead of the Florida State Seminoles, so we see how Duke can pull off the upset against a Miami squad that has aspirations of making the ACC Championship Game. We end with an interesting note from Jason about Duke and dog names.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the podcasts, I do listen to all of them and they have been enjoyable.
    I have some thoughts too...
    1. With this year being unlike any other it looks as though the teams that are more experienced are winning over teams that considered more talented but young. The preparation, the off season, pre season and such due to COVID is making this year a real challenge for young teams to find on court cohesiveness. Kentucky and Duke have a lot of young talent on their roster but more seasoned such as Baylor, Gonzaga, MSU and WV all seem to be more able to deal with the conditions that are presented to all teams. I feel the factor for that is experience. I think this is going to play out this year as to what teams will be successful.
    2. The Duke staff didn't have much time to tinker with line ups to see what works due to not having a pre season and I get that. However, in a game like Tuesday when shots weren't falling, maybe that would be a good opportunity for the Staff to see what a front court of Tapé and Coleman might have offered. Just my two cents. Additionally, What are you thoughts of a starting line up of Matt, Jalen, Jaemyn, Wendell and Jordan? No true big. Jaemyn just offers versatility in some many areas, he has proven chemistry with Jalen, he can score some and defend 3 positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    , What are you thoughts of a starting line up of Matt, Jalen, Jaemyn, Wendell and Jordan? No true big. Jaemyn just offers versatility in some many areas, he has proven chemistry with Jalen, he can score some and defend 3 positions.
    I think that after 2 games it is clear that Jaemyn should get minutes. I'm less sold on making him a starter and I worry that the lineup you presented is short on 3-point shooters. I want to caution everyone on not reading too much into 2 games. We heard throughout the preseason that this was a good outside shooting team. I'm not ready to give up on shooters like Baker and Steward yet and I suspect Jeremy Roach can be significantly better than what we have seen so far in games.

-Jason "I certainly agree with Jaks about experienced teams being at an advantage thus far... one reason I expect Duke to lose another game when we play Illinois next week" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I do think that Wendell will wind up being one of our captains, he has the most leadership qualities of the returning players and K seems to trust him. Even last season when he was struggling with turnovers K continued to put the ball in his hands, I remember him playing point guard a lot in games where Tre was injured, even though we had Goldwire available. I trust that he'll snap out of this funk, I don't know if he'll make as big a leap as many of us were hoping (myself included) but he's not going to be as bad as we've seen so far.

Agree that it is very telling that Goldwire was not already named a captain, despite being a senior and a point guard. I actually think Baker is the next most likely guy, he's vocal and brings energy. I liked your analysis on how much this team needs a leader; when MSU made their run that spanned the first and second halves I so much wanted Tre Jones out there calming everybody down, setting up the offense and directing the team.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Agree that it is very telling that Goldwire was not already named a captain, despite being a senior and a point guard. I actually think Baker is the next most likely guy, he's vocal and brings energy. I liked your analysis on how much this team needs a leader; when MSU made their run that spanned the first and second halves I so much wanted Tre Jones out there calming everybody down, setting up the offense and directing the team.
    For folks who did not listen to the pod, I said that the fact that Goldwire (a senior who was a key player last season and figured to be a starter this season) was not named a captain from day one told me that he is really not a leader. I mean, senior captain is typically almost a given. For us to be captainless this far into the season with a clear and obvious senior not assuming that role already, well it tells me that it is simply not in Jordan's nature to be that kind of leader (nothing wrong with that, not criticizing him, not everyone is a leader... I'm just pointing out what now seems obvious to me).

I really, really hope someone does step up soon and make the case for being the captain... cause it seems like we need one.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?