DBR Podcast - Player of the week tracker

I wanted to have a place to collect the POW that Donald, Sam, and I pick each week on the Podcast.

Week ended 11/29: Jason- Jalen Johnson; Sam- Jalen Johnson; Donald- Jalen Johnson

Weeks won: Jalen Johnson - 1

Total picks: Jalen Johnson - 3

-Jason "I will continue to update this as the season progresses" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Week ended 11/29: Jason- Jalen Johnson; Sam- Jalen Johnson; Donald- Jalen Johnson
    Week ended 12/6: Jason- Jaemyn Brakefield; Sam- Jaemyn Brakefield; Donald- Matthew Hurt

Weeks won: Jalen Johnson - 1, Jaemyn Brakefield - 1

Total picks: Jalen Johnson - 3, Jaemyn Brakefield -2, Matthew Hurt - 1

-Jason "if any of you want to chime in with a POW pick, feel free" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Week ended 12/6: Jason- Jaemyn Brakefield; Sam- Jaemyn Brakefield; Donald- Matthew Hurt
    Week ended 12/13: Jason- Jeremy Roach; Sam- Matthew Hurt; Donald- Matthew Hurt

Weeks won: Jalen Johnson - 1, Jaemyn Brakefield - 1, Matthew Hurt - 1

Total picks: Jalen Johnson - 3, Matthew Hurt - 3, Jaemyn Brakefield -2, Jeremy Roach -1

-Jason "anyone wanna guess who the season leader will be? Feeling like Hurt" Evans

Week ended 12/20: Jason- Matthew Hurt; Sam- Jeremy Roach; Donald- DJ Steward

Weeks won: Matthew Hurt - 1.33, Jalen Johnson - 1, Jaemyn Brakefield - 1, Jeremy Roach - .33, DJ Steward - .33

Total picks: Matthew Hurt - 4, Jalen Johnson - 3, Jaemyn Brakefield - 2, Jeremy Roach - 2, DJ Steward - 1

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Weeks won: Matthew Hurt - 1.33, Jalen Johnson - 1, Jaemyn Brakefield - 1, Jeremy Roach - .33, DJ Steward - .33

Total picks: Matthew Hurt - 4, Jalen Johnson - 3, Jaemyn Brakefield - 2, Jeremy Roach - 2, DJ Steward - 1
    I'm not sure that i'd give Brakefield PotW honors but i agree that he has been the most surprising Fr. so far, and most surprising player in a good way overall. We had heard at one point that he had a "no dribble" restriction put on him by K. As mentioned in the podcast, i was also surprised to see his multiple dribble penetration moves in this game, perhaps indicating that his no-dribble limit has been lifted. However, that no-dribble limit should be transferred to Wendell, whose attempts at driving from the 3pt line have been absolutely horrible all year so far. We need for Wendell to return to playing at least as well as he did last year to be an upper-echelon team, and so far he has played far, far below that level. Consequently, Duke has not played like an upper-echelon team this year (which is not entirely due to WM's play). A "vintage" Wendell game may have turned the MSU game in our favor, and may have kept he 'Nois within striking distance to give us a puncher's chance.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I'm not sure that i'd give Brakefield PotW honors but i agree that he has been the most surprising Fr. so far, and most surprising player in a good way overall. We had heard at one point that he had a "no dribble" restriction put on him by K. As mentioned in the podcast, i was also surprised to see his multiple dribble penetration moves in this game, perhaps indicating that his no-dribble limit has been lifted.
    Well, we only awarded it to him one week and it was in the wake of his 4-for-4 from 3 game... which is pretty darn impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    However, that no-dribble limit should be transferred to Wendell, whose attempts at driving from the 3pt line have been absolutely horrible all year so far. We need for Wendell to return to playing at least as well as he did last year to be an upper-echelon team, and so far he has played far, far below that level. Consequently, Duke has not played like an upper-echelon team this year (which is not entirely due to WM's play). A "vintage" Wendell game may have turned the MSU game in our favor, and may have kept he 'Nois within striking distance to give us a puncher's chance.
    Duke did not have any instant superstar freshman talent on this year's team... but that was fine because in Wendell and Matthew, we were getting a pair of very solid freshmen back for their soph season, something that really has not happened much lately at Duke. The preseason expectations for Duke were based on a bunch of solid, though not spectacular freshmen, combined with better than usual returnees. Sadly, Wendell's regression (and Joey Baker's struggles have also hurt) have caused the team to, thus far, fall short of expectations.

But, there is good news! We have seen both Joey and Wendell play far better than this in the past. I am absolutely certain they are capable of doing significantly better than we have thus far seen... and I strongly suspect that "capable" will turn into actual on-court performance some time soon.

So, I remain very optimistic about this team. I expect them to contend for the ACC title, though I won't be surprised to see them continue to struggle in early January before they really get humming.

Whew, been a while since we did one of these...

Week ended 1/10: Jason- Jordan Goldwire; Sam- Matthew Hurt; Donald- Matthew Hurt

Total picks: Matthew Hurt - 6, Jalen Johnson - 3, Jaemyn Brakefield - 2, Jeremy Roach - 1, DJ Steward - 1, Jordan Goldwire 1

Week ended 1/10: Jason- Jordan Goldwire; Sam- Matthew Hurt; Donald- Matthew Hurt
    Week ended 1/17: Jason - Matthew Hurt; Sam - Matthew Hurt; Donald - Matthew Hurt

Total picks: Matthew Hurt - 9, Jalen Johnson - 3, Jaemyn Brakefield - 2, Jeremy Roach - 1, DJ Steward - 1, Jordan Goldwire 1
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 02-21-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Week ended 1/17: Jason - Matthew Hurt; Sam - Matthew Hurt; Donald - Matthew Hurt
    Week ended 1/24: Jason - Matthew Hurt; Sam - Matthew Hurt; Donald - Matthew Hurt
    Week ended 1/31: Jason - Mark Williams; Sam - Jalen Johnson; Donald - Mark Williams
    Week ended Feb 7: Jason - Wendell Moore; Sam - Wendell Moore; Donald - DJ Steward
    Week ended Feb 14: Jason - Mark Williams ; Sam - Matthew Hurt; Donald - Mark Williams

Total picks: Matthew Hurt - 13, Mark Williams - 4, Jalen Johnson - 4, Jaemyn Brakefield - 2, Wendell Moore - 2, DJ Steward - 2, Jeremy Roach - 1, Jordan Goldwire - 1
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 02-21-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Week ended 1/24: Jason - Matthew Hurt; Sam - Matthew Hurt; Donald - Matthew Hurt
    Week ended 1/31: Jason - Mark Williams; Sam - Jalen Johnson; Donald - Mark Williams
    Week ended Feb 7: Jason - Wendell Moore; Sam - Wendell Moore; Donald - DJ Steward
    Week ended Feb 14: Jason - Mark Williams ; Sam - Matthew Hurt; Donald - Mark Williams

Total picks: Matthew Hurt - 13, Mark Williams - 4, Jalen Johnson - 4, Jaemyn Brakefield - 2, Wendell Moore - 2, DJ Steward - 2, Jeremy Roach - 1, Jordan Goldwire - 1
    Interesting that Matthew Hurt has been lights out the last 3 games and he's only received 1 vote in the last 3 weeks. I know his defense is not great but he is our best player.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Interesting that Matthew Hurt has been lights out the last 3 games and he's only received 1 vote in the last 3 weeks. I know his defense is not great but he is our best player.
    That list did not include the latest pod for this week in which Hurt took POW from me and Donald... but not Sam (which led to me being utterly shocked at Sam's pick). See the full list below --

Week ended Feb 21: Jason - Matthew Hurt; Sam - Jaemyn Brakefield; Donald - Matthew Hurt

Total picks: Matthew Hurt - 15, Mark Williams - 4, Jalen Johnson - 4, Jaemyn Brakefield - 3, Wendell Moore - 2, DJ Steward - 2, Jeremy Roach - 1, Jordan Goldwire - 1

Week ended Feb 21: Jason - Matthew Hurt; Sam - Jaemyn Brakefield; Donald - Matthew Hurt
    Sam... for shame!!

https://goduke.com/news/2021/2/22/me...-the-week.aspx
    DURHAM, N.C. – Duke sophomore Matthew Hurt has been named the ACC Player of the Week after scoring 22 points in back-to-back wins over conference opponents last week.

The sophomore from Rochester, Minn., started with an 8-of-9 shooting performance, including 3-of-4 from three-point range, to lead all scorers in the Blue Devils' 84-60 win at Wake Forest on Wednesday night. He added four rebounds and two assists in 31 minutes, and Duke outscored the Demon Deacons by 26 points when Hurt was on the floor.

Hurt carried his hot shooting into the matchup with No. 7 Virginia on Saturday night, as he scored nine points in the opening 6:18 of the first half. He went on to hit 8-of-13 from the field, 5-of-8 from beyond the arc and again grabbed four rebounds. Perhaps his biggest play of the night came on the game's final possession, when he got a piece of Kihei Clark's potential game-winning three at the buzzer to preserve a 66-65 Duke victory.

Over Duke's three-game winning streak that includes a 69-53 decision at NC State on Feb. 13, Hurt is averaging 22.7 points while shooting 14-of-19 (.736) from the field and 24-of-32 (.750) from three-point range. He has recorded 10+ points in each of his last six halves of play, and his 109 total points in the month of February lead the ACC.

On the season, Hurt leads the conference in three-point percentage (.469 – fifth in the NCAA) and most threes per game (2.5), while ranking second in scoring (18.5) and third in field goal percentage (.561). He is the nation's only player shooting better than 56 percent from the field, better than 46 percent from deep and making more than six field goals per game. Hurt and Gonzaga's Corey Kispert are the only players averaging 55/45/6.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    I own this. None of us are immune to stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    None of us are immune to stupidity.
    I think this should be the podcast slogan

See, this is why I did the research. I knew he was getting an award and I didn’t want the ridicule! Lol

Week ended Feb 28: Jason - Matthew Hurt; Sam - Matthew Hurt; Donald - Matthew Hurt

Total picks: Matthew Hurt - 18, Mark Williams - 4, Jalen Johnson - 4, Jaemyn Brakefield - 3, Wendell Moore - 2, DJ Steward - 2, Jeremy Roach - 1, Jordan Goldwire - 1