Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Duke football to play Miami instead of FSU (Game Thread)

email

"The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Sunday night a change to Duke's football schedule for Saturday, Dec. 5.

The Blue Devils will now host No. 10 Miami, instead of their original opponent Florida State.

Saturday's game will kick off at 8 p.m. and be broadcast live on the ACC Network."
    Last edited by Bob Green; 12-05-2020 at 06:04 AM.

I'm not sure this group could have beaten an awful FSU team in its current state, but 56-10 feels about right for Miami.

Oh, dear.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Oh, dear.
    Not *quite* the 4 letter word I had in mind...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Went from having the slimmest chance at ending the season on a win to a huge chance of ending it in crushing defeat.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

So instead of 2-6 FSU, we get 7-1 Miami?

Seems legit.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Seems legit.
    yeah ACC has no conflict of interest to try to pump up the records of teams at the top of the conference or anything.
    April 1

And Duke may have to play another game on 12/12 after all according to the N&O article. Let’s get this cursed season over!
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...247490780.html

For some reason I don't think the ending will be as controversial as the 2015 Miami game because that would require the score to be close.

Too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Seems legit.
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    yeah ACC has no conflict of interest to try to pump up the records of teams at the top of the conference or anything.
    Maybe it will give us some motivation -- we've done well against the Canes since All Saints' Eve five years ago. Well (checking records), we're on a two-game winning streak.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Maybe it will give us some motivation -- we've done well against the Canes since All Saints' Eve five years ago. Well (checking records), we're on a two-game winning streak.
    When I saw FSU game canceled I breathed a sigh of relief that the season was over, only to be disappointed another game was scheduled. Not trying to be a pessimist but maybe this gets cancelled too. I can’t believe I would ever write such a thing, but it’s 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    And Duke may have to play another game on 12/12 after all according to the N&O article. Let’s get this cursed season over!
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...247490780.html
    The good news is that it won't happen unless the ACC mandates it. The bad news is the 12/12 opponent probably would be Clemson at home because FSU still has coronavirus issues. (Hey, I called the Miami game last night in another thread looking at the tentative schedule. )

I think ESPN, Clemson, and Duke really want a Clemson @ FSU game, but TV dollar$ triumph over all.

Dear ACC: please excuse Duke from playing this weekend as we have a tummy ache. Thank you!
    (there goes possibly our last shot to be FSU in my lifetime)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    The good news is that it won't happen unless the ACC mandates it. The bad news is the 12/12 opponent probably would be Clemson at home because FSU still has coronavirus issues. (Hey, I called the Miami game last night in another thread looking at the tentative schedule. )

I think ESPN, Clemson, and Duke really want a Clemson @ FSU game, but TV dollar$ triumph over all.
    Dabo can yell "That's why!" every time Chase throws an INT.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Dabo can yell "That's why!" every time Chase throws an INT.
    I think Dabo probably figured Duke was the equivalent of a non-conference team when he recommended the transfer. Chase was not going to be here in 2023. If you don't like Dabo, consider the following standings if Clemson doesn't play next weekend:

ND 10-0
    Miami 9-1
    Clemson 8-1

I would assume it's ND-Miami in the ACC Championship game with only ND having a chance to make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Dear ACC: please excuse Duke from playing this weekend as we have a tummy ache. Thank you!
    (there goes possibly our last shot to be FSU in my lifetime)
    Duke opened as a three-point favorite over FSU.

Alas and alack.

As is often the case, Miami is probably rated way too high.

Won't matter much. We bring almost no positives, except maybe calling fair catches (ducks, runs).

45-21 Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    If you don't like Dabo, consider the following standings if Clemson doesn't play next weekend:

ND 10-0
    Miami 9-1
    Clemson 8-1

I would assume it's ND-Miami in the ACC Championship game with only ND having a chance to make the playoffs.
    Clemson beat Miami 42-17. Doesn’t that give Clemson the nod? Or, does Miami go based on higher win percentage? I’m not sure about the tiebreaker rules.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke opened as a three-point favorite over FSU.

Alas and alack.
    yup, we may not see that point spread vs FSU ever again, but who knows? The Miami game, though, just seems like gratuitous pain and suffering.