Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    With AOC’s three minutes off the bench, Creighton beats Providence on a dunk in the last second and retains the belt. Next up, covid willing, Seton Hall.
    you could tell they really wanted to hang on to that one. really had something to play for.
    April 1

With our boy AOC playing 13 minutes and scoring 6 points, Creighton holds on to the belt a little longer, beating Seton Hall 89-53.

The Blue Jays (Cyanocitta cristata) next take on the Red Storm of St. John's.

St. John's (KP #92) @ Creighton (KP #11) January 9th at 12PM

The only out-of-conference game I see left for the Big East is this Saturday Georgetown vs. Syracuse. So, unless I'm not seeing something, the Walton belt will spend the remainder of the season in the Big East.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Creighton

Alex O'Connell had a big game for Creighton, scoring 16 and adding 6 rebounds as Creighton rolled over St. Johns, 97-79. Butler will have the next chance to take the Walton Belt from Creighton, next Saturday, but with Alex on a roll, Creighton is looking strong.

Alex O'Connell had a big game for Creighton, scoring 16 and adding 6 rebounds as Creighton rolled over St. Johns, 97-79. Butler will have the next chance to take the Walton Belt from Creighton, next Saturday, but with Alex on a roll, Creighton is looking strong.
    And Butler takes the Belt! Took OT to get it but they did.

Butler will have the next chance to take the Walton Belt from Creighton, next Saturday, but with Alex on a roll, Creighton is looking strong.
    Final: Butler 70, Creighton 66 (OT). The Bluejays lose the belt, despite 29 points from Denzel Mahoney, who could be the star of a Training Day and Police Academy crossover. Alex O'Connell has only 2 points off the bench.

Butler's next scheduled game is at DePaul on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Final: Butler 70, Creighton 66 (OT). The Bluejays lose the belt, despite 29 points from Denzel Mahoney, who could be the star of a Training Day and Police Academy crossover. Alex O'Connell has only 2 points off the bench.

Butler's next scheduled game is at DePaul on Tuesday.
    If I'm not as high as Bill often is, I believe Uconn took the belt from butler tonight. I can't say I'm unhappy about this occurrence...I suppose if your team can't win real titles anymore, you take what you can get. (Though the huskies are pretty good this year...far better than they have been...and with their lottery pick out with injury...)
    April 1

Running away and ducking the competition?

After taking the belt last week, Uconn has cancelled their next two games!

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...sitive-referee

At what point do they vacate the title? We need answers.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

Perhaps a bit off-topic. What happens in Feb/early March when a team thinks it has enough wins to get into the NCAAs but is concerned that positive Covid tests may keep it out of the NCAAs?

Do they 1) cancel the rest of their season, 2) play only the deep bench and leave the core of their team and coaches in a safe place or 3) continue to play?

From the linked article:

UConn said it has postponed its next two men's basketball games, including Thursday's scheduled contest with No. 3 Villanova, after learning that an official who worked its Tuesday night win over Butler has tested positive for the coronavirus.
    So I clicked on "Tuesday night win" to get ESPN's game recap, which lists the referees as Pat Driscoll, Tony Chiazza, and Tommy Morrissey. I briefly wondered which ref it was, but then realized it kind of doesn't matter if they all quarantine for working together. (Are they quarantining?)

Then I wondered about Butler, the other team on the court. Their next game, originally scheduled for today, was postponed by the Big East... to tomorrow. (Should Butler even be playing this game? Should Xavier, their opponent? Or whoever gets assigned as referees?)

The selective reaction to this single incident -- more caution by one school, less caution by its own conference -- is head-scratching.

Oh, and no vacating the belt title. It would be fitting for the 2020-2021 Walton Belt to stay with a team that has to stop playing its games.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    From the linked article:

So I clicked on "Tuesday night win" to get ESPN's game recap, which lists the referees as Pat Driscoll, Tony Chiazza, and Tommy Morrissey. I briefly wondered which ref it was, but then realized it kind of doesn't matter if they all quarantine for working together. (Are they quarantining?)

Then I wondered about Butler, the other team on the court. Their next game, originally scheduled for today, was postponed by the Big East... to tomorrow. (Should Butler even be playing this game? Should Xavier, their opponent? Or whoever gets assigned as referees?)

The selective reaction to this single incident -- more caution by one school, less caution by its own conference -- is head-scratching.

Oh, and no vacating the belt title. It would be fitting for the 2020-2021 Walton Belt to stay with a team that has to stop playing its games.
    having already had to shut down both their mens and women's programs, some multiple times this year, I imagine uconn is on the overly cautious side right now.
    April 1

With a victory over UConn, I believe Seton Hall now holds The Belt. Marquette will have the next chance to take The Belt.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    With a victory over UConn, I believe Seton Hall now holds The Belt. Marquette will have the next chance to take The Belt.
    Yep. I knew that was the case, but I was too distraught to come on here and post about it. The Boneyard SURELY had an absolute meltdown about this title loss
    April 1

Time for updates on the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational -

Walton Belt!

When last we checked, Seton Hall had won the belt from Connecticut on 2/6

Seton Hall then defeated -
    Marquette on 2/14 and
    Depaul on 2/17

But then lost to Georgetown on 2/20, giving the belt to the Hoyas

Georgetown then quickly handed the belt back to Connecticut on 2/23

The Huskies have since defeated -
    Marquette on 2/27
    Seton Hall on 3/3
    and Georgetown on 3/6

Connecticut starts the Big East Tournament tonight as a #3 seed playing Depaul at 9:00 ET.

I'm sure we'll all be watching with bated breath to see who will take this coveted award into the NCAA tourney!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

This time of year, it's pretty easy to follow...

CONN took the belt into the Big East Tournament.

Georgetown wins the Big East Tournament (Surprisingly, as an 8 seed!) so they take the belt into the NCAA tournament.

The Hoyas play the Colorado Buffalo on Saturday at 12:15.

My only worry is that the team that happens to be holding the belt gets quarantined for COVID. Then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post

Georgetown wins the Big East Tournament (Surprisingly, as an 8 seed!) so they take the belt into the NCAA tournament.

My only worry is that the team that happens to be holding the belt gets quarantined for COVID. Then what?
    split title and reunification bout???!?!?
    April 1

The game will probably be considered uncontested, a la ACCT, rather than cancelled - so it should go to the opposing team that moves on.

Bigger question - what happens if both teams get quarantined?

The game will probably be considered uncontested, a la ACCT, rather than cancelled - so it should go to the opposing team that moves on.

i don't think you can claim the belt if you don't win. that's not very walton-esque.
    April 1

Then I guess it would then go to the next team that would have played the winner of that game, moving up the bracket...

i don't think you can claim the belt if you don't win. that's not very walton-esque.
    I think it should reside in quarantine until next season, as Walton would want.

-jk

Then

COVID holds the belt until we get to zero cases.