Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Walton Belt (2020-2021 edition)

We've tracked this in the past: https://forums.dukebasketballreport...19-20-edition)

This is a bit of an interesting year in walton belt tracking, as for the first time since bakeries were handing out fake titles, we don't have a national champion to hold the belt. So, by a stroke of luck, the walton national champion was

USC

Who took it from UCLA in the bill walton national title bout on march 7. Congrats guys for that title. I encourage you to hang a banner. I know bill is ate up about how close the bruins came to hanging another banner in pauley pavilion (if you didn't know, they ONLY hang banners for national championships).

In any case, it remained in the conference of champions through the entirety of the shutdown.

USC beat baptist a few days ago, so is still the rightful champs. The first real test will be BYU on 12/1.

With the awkwardness of this year, we have a very good chance of the unprecedented scenario where the belt spends the ENTIRE season in a single conference, especially if march madness ultimately doesn't happen.

Happy walton belt tracking!
    1200. DDMF.

Credit where credit's due: the late, great Al Featherston started the original Walton Belt thread!

I was watching the Cal-Stanford game last night (great win for Johnny D's kids) and Bill Walton was doing the game.

He said that Cal was No. 1 because they just beat No. 1 (Arizona) and that's the way "algebra" works -- to be No. 1 you have to beat No. 1 (don't get me started on his use of the word algebra).

Even if you concede his system, there was a flaw in his reasoning -- Arizona never beat No. 1 ... they were voted No. 1 by the pollsters.

So who should be No. 1 in the Walton Universe?

That depends on who starts as No. 1.

If you start with preseason No. 1 Kentucky, it goes from Kentucky to Michigan State to UNC to Texas to Michigan State again to Michigan and most recently to Indiana, which hasn't lost since beating Michigan.

But you could start with the defending national champ -- Louisville. In that case, it goes from Louisville to UNC to UAB to LSU to Rhode Island to St. Louis, which is still No. 1.

Which do you think has the better case? Indiana? Or St. Louis?
    -jk

The Trojans will try to put a wrap on the Cougars tomorrow night to hold on to the belt.

USC (kp#60) vs BYU (kp#79) in Uncasville, CT 2:30PM ESPN2

You could say they will put the belt "in Haarm's way" (actually, he was out the first two games with an ankle injury and came off the bench this weekend against UVST, played 12 mins)
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

i haven't been able to put it on due to work, but is the man himself still calling the maui tournament, despite it not being in maui?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i haven't been able to put it on due to work, but is the man himself still calling the maui tournament, despite it not being in maui?
    Yes, yes he is.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    They are remote, of course, watching from home...

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    bill walton's brain has been remote for many many years now.
    1200. DDMF.

Is it? I heard he was in Asheville

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Is it? I heard he was in Asheville
    I could be proven wrong on that! I know at the opening of the Indiana game, they were Zoom style with the other announcer clearly at home/in an office somewhere. Walton had a fake background behind him so no idea where he actually was. It was clear they were not courtside.

USC took BYU to church and showed them the way. They hold on to the belt another day.

Schedules have been rearranged due to COVID and Vandy pulling out of the Legends Classic tournament.

So now USC will take on UCONN (Go You Huskies!) tomorrow night in the Mohegan Sun Bubble Environment.

USC (kp#45) vs UCONN (kp#52) 7:00 on ESPN if interested.

Could the Belt head east??? Watch and see!

In this virtual age

USC took BYU to church and showed them the way. They hold on to the belt another day.

Schedules have been rearranged due to COVID and Vandy pulling out of the Legends Classic tournament.

So now USC will take on UCONN (Go You Huskies!) tomorrow night in the Mohegan Sun Bubble Environment.

They should have Walton announcing for all Walton belt games.

The Walton Belt is fundamentally stupid. So why do I find myself suddenly a bit interested in this game? One of life's little mysteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    The Walton Belt is fundamentally stupid. So why do I find myself suddenly a bit interested in this game? One of life's little mysteries.
    I agree 100%. It’s so dumb and yet also my favorite part of DBR.

I think it is stupid as well but here I am watching a national championship game. Hopefully these games are not the only national championship games this year

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

So, UConn bears USC, State beats UConn, and the belt stays in the ACC for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    So, UConn bears USC, State beats UConn, and the belt stays in the ACC for a while.
    tenor.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    If UNC finishes the season with it do they put up a banner?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    If UNC finishes the season with it do they put up a banner?
    Helms Trophy or Walton Belt — any baker will do.

Hang a banner in storrs!

If we can't hang the regular banners in storrs anymore, might as well hang a pair of bill walton's boxers!

Champs again
    1200. DDMF.