Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Wojo fired at Marquette

According to Jeff Goodman

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...64871566950407

-Jason "I really thought Wojo would have another year or two... pity" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

But he beat Roy!

Too bad. I hope he catches on somewhere else.

Losing the Hauser brothers didn't help. I never heard or figured out what happened there.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Too bad. I hope he catches on somewhere else.

Losing the Hauser brothers didn't help. I never heard or figured out what happened there.
    They weren't huge fans of "stand there and watch Markus go to work and be ready to catch and shoot". Didn't feel there was much chance to develop or showcase skills beyond catch-and-shoot. Right or wrong, you can mostly hang your hat on that.

FYI, this isn't pure speculation.

Edited to add: No surprise they ended up with Izzo and Bennett - guys with a penchant/rep for player development AND coaching guys up on the defensive end as well. The bros wanted to become guided/molded toward being more complete players.

Marquette's two leading scorers this season were a freshman and a soph. He had a couple other nice pieces who are young. But, in 7 seasons he only made 2 NCAA tourneys and never made it out of the R64. Marquette may not be the power it was when Al was coaching there, but they still expect to be a tourney team fairly often and it is hard to say that Wojo wasn't given a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    They weren't huge fans of "stand there and watch Markus go to work and be ready to catch and shoot". Didn't feel there was much chance to develop or showcase skills beyond catch-and-shoot. Right or wrong, you can mostly hang your hat on that.

FYI, this isn't pure speculation.

That was certainly my impression too. Iirc, as soon as Markus announced he was coming back instead of going pro that year, the brothers immediately announced they were transferring.

Sad about Wojo.

Gotta say, I am flabbergasted that a Coach as great as K (prob the GOAT) hasn't had one singe REALLY good/borderline great coach to come out of his tree. Snyder seems solid. Even Brey has been rather meh excepting longevity and a 2 year run of elite 8s a few seasons ago. I don't believe he's ever made it past the sweet 16 besides those 2 years. I don't think there's a single coach in the tree who would garner even a nomination to the HoF, much less have a chance to get it.

Just surprising to me knowing the depth/breadth of his skill and ability to teach, as well as the longevity and therefore volume of sample w/r/t number of guys who have had HC opportunities. I wonder if it gives ANYONE in the fanbase extreme pause/worry at the idea that K will almost certainly be replaced by someone from within "the family".

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Marquette's two leading scorers this season were a freshman and a soph. He had a couple other nice pieces who are young. But, in 7 seasons he only made 2 NCAA tourneys and never made it out of the R64. Marquette may not be the power it was when Al was coaching there, but they still expect to be a tourney team fairly often and it is hard to say that Wojo wasn't given a chance.
    Slight nitpick but should either be 2 out of 6 since no one played in the tournament last year or 3 of 7 since bracketologists seemed to think Marquette would make it in.

https://watchstadium.com/top-bracket...et-03-19-2020/

I wonder if it gives ANYONE in the fanbase extreme pause/worry at the idea that K will almost certainly be replaced by someone from within "the family".
    raises hand

He blew his chance for some job security in 2019. His 5-seed lost by about 20 to the 12-seed, and that 12 was no cinderella...they lost their next game by about 30.

I don't follow other teams close enough to know if there was a significant injury responsible for the flop, but that was his best chance.

Gotta say, I am flabbergasted that a Coach as great as K (prob the GOAT) hasn't had one singe REALLY good/borderline great coach to come out of his tree. Snyder seems solid. Even Brey has been rather meh excepting longevity and a 2 year run of elite 8s a few seasons ago. I don't believe he's ever made it past the sweet 16 besides those 2 years. I don't think there's a single coach in the tree who would garner even a nomination to the HoF, much less have a chance to get it.

Just surprising to me knowing the depth/breadth of his skill and ability to teach, as well as the longevity and therefore volume of sample w/r/t number of guys who have had HC opportunities. I wonder if it gives ANYONE in the fanbase extreme pause/worry at the idea that K will almost certainly be replaced by someone from within "the family".
    Everything about Coach retiring gives me extreme pause/worry.

Yeah, we have been talking about that very concern for about 15 years now. Several guys have had moments (Collins breaking the glass ceiling at NU; Snyder with some good Mizzou teams; Dawkins at Stanford; Amaker at Harvard; Capel at VCU and then Oklahoma). But nobody has stuck. It remains a concern that only grows as Coach K approaches the finish line.

Hopefully he has at least 5 more years so somebody can stick. Otherwise, hopefully we are willing to go outside the Duke tree.

Regardless, whoever comes next is all but certainly gonna be a step down, so hopefully Coach K coaches forever!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, we have been talking about that very concern for about 15 years now. Several guys have had moments (Collins breaking the glass ceiling at NU; Snyder with some good Mizzou teams; Dawkins at Stanford; Amaker at Harvard; Capel at VCU and then Oklahoma). But nobody has stuck. It remains a concern that only grows as Coach K approaches the finish line.

Hopefully he has at least 5 more years so somebody can stick. Otherwise, hopefully we are willing to go outside the Duke tree.

Regardless, whoever comes next is all but certainly gonna be a step down, so hopefully Coach K coaches forever!
    Dawkins also started off really well at UCF (including the near upset of Duke) though he has tailed off a bit since then.

I think others might have mentioned it, but this general lack of success might hurt current Duke assistants if they are looking for head coaching jobs.

According to Jeff Goodman

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...64871566950407

-Jason "I really thought Wojo would have another year or two... pity" Evans
    I did as well Jason.

This is a weird way to measure the strength of a coaching tree. John Wooden's coaching tree (pyramid?) had only one former assistant, Denny Crum, become a Hall of Famer as a head coach. When all is said and done, Rick Pitino could pass Wooden by that standard.

Coach K has had a solid coaching tree in which several former assistants have made careers for themselves as head coaches. His own longevity and excellence cuts both ways: it has the advantage of creating more head coaching opportunities for more assistants, but also the disadvantage of creating more separation between him and any potential successor.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

Don't sleep on Bobby Hurley, I think he has the best shot. He was building pretty well at ASU but, like Duke, didn't handle the COVID year well.

Who is/was the best generator of HOF or NCAA Champion coaches in the last 40 years?

Snyder is Solid

I think Snyder is one of the top coaches in the NBA. Easily top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Who is/was the best generator of HOF or NCAA Champion coaches in the last 40 years?
    Coach K’s parents.

/thread