Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

The "I'm Not Going To Jinx It Thread" 2021 Edition

Somewhere, Bill Russel is smiling right now...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Nah, he’s probably frowning cause you spelled his name wrong.

Jay Huff contested threes is definitely how you get back in the game... or not!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Nah, he’s probably frowning cause you spelled his name wrong.
    Ooops! I meant to say Bil Russel

-Jason "dude won so much, he gets fewer Ls" Evans

Whew, feels like every 50-50 call has gone Virginia's way this game. Refs have not been kind.

Whew, feels like every 50-50 call has gone Virginia's way this game. Refs have not been kind.
    i feel so bad for UVA /s

didn't end up with a super great look on that last play...yeah it was a good shooter, but didn't have time to really get set for that shot.

At least it wasn't the classic dribble-dribble-dribble-jack a 3.
    1200. DDMF.

Ooops! I meant to say Bil Russel

-Jason "dude won so much, he gets fewer Ls" Evans
    You must spread some Comments around before commenting on JasonEvans again.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i feel so bad for UVA /s

didn't end up with a super great look on that last play...yeah it was a good shooter, but didn't have time to really get set for that shot.

At least it wasn't the classic dribble-dribble-dribble-jack a 3.
    Really bad coaching. Down one you don't settle for an on-the-move three. you take it strong to the basket. LOL, San Fran two days ago lost by eight to
    UMass Lowell
    Last edited by chrishoke; 11-27-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

The "I'm Not Going To Jinx It Thread" 2020 Edition

So, since JasonEvans jumped the gun on the "Don't Jinx It" thread, it's time to get this thing rolling. I hesitated to post the thread at all since it's 2020 and the biggest upset might be having an NCAA season at all. So, for every team that takes the floor, I'm granting them a win in an upset. As for the other team on the floor, well, they have some work to do.
    Hard to believe that this thread started in 2014. I've posted the original thread below. The rules are simple. One change from last year - folks asked to have the network for the game included which I think is a great idea.
    LGD!

Any time we see an upset brewing, say Bobby Hurley's Buffalo squad taking on some Wildcats, we talk about field hockey, or beer, or gardening.

Of course, the observer effect suggests that simply one's awareness is enough to jinx the whole dang enterprise.

Bill Russell is 86 YO and lives on Mercer Island, Washington -- as he has for over 40 years.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Really bad coaching. Down one you don't settle for an on-the-move three. you take it strong to the basket.
    Especially with the refs eager to give you a foul call for the win.

Worst call in sports is the instant replay on the ball going out of bounds. With 11 seconds left, a Virginia defender just plowed over a San Fran player (looked worse than Wendell Moore on Andrew Platek in the UNC game last season). The ref, as they often do, decided not to call a foul and just award the out of bounds to San Fran. No problem, refs have been doing that for ages. But then they have to go to the videotape to see if it was really out of bounds on the Virginia defender. Luckily, it did not reverse the call, but it certainly could have. Given a choice between give-the-ball-to-Virginia or call-a-foul, the ref would have certainly called a foul. But, instant replay takes that out of the ref's hands. It is a terrible application of replay and I hate it. It will cost teams games this season, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Really bad coaching. Down one you don't settle for an on-the-move three. you take it strong to the basket. LOL, San Fran two days ago lost by eight to
    UMass Lowell
    If you saw the way UVA struggled to finish through contact at the rim today, you would have prayed for a jumper at the last shot. And that play got thrown off by Huff being a split second late with the pass. If that pass comes like 1/2 second sooner Hauser can catch, square, and go straight up without a hand in his face.

I was EXTREMELY impressed with SF today. I don't know if that game will be an outlier w/r/t their effort and execution, but if NOT, they will be right there with St. Mary's and a fringe top 25 team and a legit upset threat to Zags if they play a little too loose/sloppy as UVA did today. SF played I believe 5 guys 6'8 or over in their 8 man rotation and 7 of the top 8 were VERY comfortable/good looking 3pt shooters. UVA prob got the benefit overall of 4-5 calls (prob 6-7 bad calls for UVA and 2-3 for SF) and SF still won. Their discipline was just awesome - I'm usually really upset if UVA loses to an unranked team, but SF was just fantastic to watch. I don't see any real weakness from them except that they don't have any top tier athletes among the bigger guys. Still, if they're coached that well and execute at that level consistently, I'm telling you they'll be *really* good compared to expectations.

Honestly, I thought my Hoos were only SLIGHTLY lackadaisical mentally today. Some issues with chemistry too here and there breaking in so many new pieces. We prob played like a top 20-25ish team, but so did SF and they won a tight one. I think Wednesday's insane shooting day vs a smaller team that couldn't contest well (Towson) prob gave UVA a slight unconscious overconfidence. Actually probably better for the team long term to lose that one than to steal it at the buzzer. Will make it easier for Bennett to ingrain into the minds of the guys that we're not talented enough to overlook anyone, and no matter what our rank or opponent rank, we better "bring it". If we'd stolen that one at the buzzer, I'd be happier, since a win is better than a loss. But the loss is probably way more helpful long term.

Worst call in sports is the instant replay on the ball going out of bounds. With 11 seconds left, a Virginia defender just plowed over a San Fran player (looked worse than Wendell Moore on Andrew Platek in the UNC game last season). The ref, as they often do, decided not to call a foul and just award the out of bounds to San Fran. No problem, refs have been doing that for ages. But then they have to go to the videotape to see if it was really out of bounds on the Virginia defender. Luckily, it did not reverse the call, but it certainly could have. Given a choice between give-the-ball-to-Virginia or call-a-foul, the ref would have certainly called a foul. But, instant replay takes that out of the ref's hands. It is a terrible application of replay and I hate it. It will cost teams games this season, for sure.
    I'm actually with you on this one. If they're going to review those plays, an independent replay official should get ONE look at each available camera angle in succession. IF there isn't a CLEAR overturn without frame-by-frame analysis, it stands.

Edited to add - and though UVA got the overall benefit of the calls in the game CERTAINLY, the biggest (non) call of the game was absolutely not calling the (pretty clear) foul on our bucket to cut it to one with 32 sec left. That said, SF deserved the win 1,000,000 times more than UVA did so I can't be too upset with the final result.
    Last edited by Wahoo2000; 11-27-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Great point. I was watching the game with my son and trying to explain that to him. If the replay had reversed the call, then in an ideal world the refs would have gone back and called a foul. Replay has its value but it has totally taken discretion and game management by the refs out of play. Luckily it was a non-issue in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    I'm actually with you on this one. If they're going to review those plays, an independent replay official should get ONE look at each available camera angle in succession. IF there isn't a CLEAR overturn without frame-by-frame analysis, it stands.

Edited to add - and though UVA got the overall benefit of the calls in the game CERTAINLY, the biggest (non) call of the game was absolutely not calling the (pretty clear) foul on our bucket to cut it to one with 32 sec left. That said, SF deserved the win 1,000,000 times more than UVA did so I can't be too upset with the final result.
    Personally I think refs should be allowed to review the entire play - including calling or reversing a foul, but they only have 3 minutes otherwise original call stands

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Every game matters, this year more than ever... while on one hand a loss like this could make the ACC look weaker, on the other it could prove to be a differentiator between us and Virginia if we have similar resumes come March (assuming the tourney still is in March!). FWIW San Francisco is not a horrible team (indeed, over the past few years it's seemed like the Gonzaga spotlight has brought up much of the WCC competition... a rising tide raises all boats, etc. etc.), and it's a neutral site loss, so it isn't debilitating. But I've got a sneaky suspicion K will use this to get the attention of his young team assuming we are able to play tomorrow.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

This might be a very busy thread this year. (B1G)
    Teams scratching, clawing, fighting to the top

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Every game matters, this year more than ever... while on one hand a loss like this could make the ACC look weaker, on the other it could prove to be a differentiator between us and Virginia if we have similar resumes come March (assuming the tourney still is in March!). FWIW San Francisco is not a horrible team (indeed, over the past few years it's seemed like the Gonzaga spotlight has brought up much of the WCC competition... a rising tide raises all boats, etc. etc.), and it's a neutral site loss, so it isn't debilitating. But I've got a sneaky suspicion K will use this to get the attention of his young team assuming we are able to play tomorrow.
    Wouldn't it be more pertinent for K to mention SFA last year (on Nov 27) at Cameron?

The ghost of Kobe hates Oranges apparently (ACCN).

Duke only up by six on Coppin State. ACCNX