Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    I knew Bonner played at UVa, but did not realize until just looking it up that he coached their women’s team for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    SUNDAY, MARCH 28

Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel, Jamie Erdahl (Hinkle Fieldhouse)
    #1 Gonzaga vs #5 Creighton – 2:10 PM, CBS

Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill, Tracy Wolfson (Bankers Life Fieldhouse)
    #1 Michigan vs #4 Florida State – 5:00 PM, CBS
    This is dumb. Why create an hourlong gap between two games in separate arenas?

Agree. And as a result, the late game starts at 9:45 ET on a Sunday night, so they will be losing a lot of east coast fans. I also don't understand why on both days, the winner of the earliest game plays the winner of the latest game - with only one day off in between games, they extra eight hours does make a difference. Gonzaga can now go rest up while their opponent won't be finishing until midnight local time.

I don't understand anything about the scheduling this year. Why the delay between games? Why have games Saturday-Tuesday when no one is traveling from last weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Why have games Saturday-Tuesday when no one is traveling from last weekend?
    I suspect this has something to do with CBS' prime time schedule. They would rather pre-empt Mondays than Thursdays.

I'm not as sure about Tuesdays vs. Fridays, though I wouldn't mind seeing NCIS fans and Blue Bloods fans in a street fight. It's moot anyway, as Tuesday's Elite Eight games are on TBS.

Well, between 3 minutes TOs and a 20 minute halftime, it's not an hour gap. Unless they game goes at a really fast clip!

Does seem excessive. Our TV overlords are quite practiced at having games run into each other!

More time for ads?

-jk

Kenny Smith at the half yapping about how his UNC teams could make Johnny Dawkins look bad. UGH...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Kenny Smith at the half yapping about how his UNC teams could make Johnny Dawkins look bad. UGH...
    Yeah, he was insulting Johnny Dawkins in order to compliment Charles Barkley as a player. Who knew you still needed insurance from bus injuries 35 years after graduation?

It sounds like Spanarkle is doing the Bama/UCLA game (which I now see in this thread). While googling to see if it was him, I saw that Spanarkle is no longer doing Nets games as of this year. It's a shame he was let go after so many years right when the Nets appear to be on the verge of reaching new heights (in the NBA at least). I also didn't realize that Spanarkle once lead the Mavericks in scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Well, between 3 minutes TOs and a 20 minute halftime, it's not an hour gap. Unless they game goes at a really fast clip!

Does seem excessive. Our TV overlords are quite practiced at having games run into each other!

More time for ads?

-jk
    Yep, as evidenced by the UCLA-Bama game going into the Oregon-USC game. Long reviews, FTs and OT will do that. Although shouldn't really matter because I think everyone who has TBS also has TNT...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Kenneth is a sore loser since the cheats got BOuncED.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    It sounds like Spanarkle is doing the Bama/UCLA game (which I now see in this thread). While googling to see if it was him, I saw that Spanarkle is no longer doing Nets games as of this year. It's a shame he was let go after so many years right when the Nets appear to be on the verge of reaching new heights (in the NBA at least). I also didn't realize that Spanarkle once lead the Mavericks in scoring.
    Spanarkel was out last week due to COVID reasons. The network didn't elaborate on it. GHill took his spot with Ian Eagle. Very glad to see him back today. He had a funny comment about the length of his shorts versus what players wear now - a replay showed a ball went off the loose fabric of a Bama player's shorts. If he had worn the Daisy Dukes of Spanarkel's day, Bama would have kept the ball!

I've said this many times - Spanarkel's number should be up in the rafters at Cameron.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

I suspect this has something to do with CBS' prime time schedule. They would rather pre-empt Mondays than Thursdays.

I'm not as sure about Tuesdays vs. Fridays, though I wouldn't mind seeing NCIS fans and Blue Bloods fans in a street fight. It's moot anyway, as Tuesday's Elite Eight games are on TBS.
    Someone told me that several of the courts that they are using were already booked for Thurs/Friday last week. What I was thinking was that they wanted to give as much time between the 2nd round and S16 due to potential COVID protocols. Not sure if it's either.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

NCAA (and not Awful Announcing) has the people calling the Elite Eight:

MONDAY, MARCH 29

Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel, Jamie Erdahl (Lucas Oil Stadium North)
    (12) Oregon State vs. (2) Houston, 7:15 p.m. CBS

Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill, Tracy Wolfson (Lucas Oil Stadium South)
    (3) Arkansas vs. (1) Baylor, 9:57 p.m. CBS

TUESDAY, MARCH 30

Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner, Dana Jacobson (Lucas Oil Stadium North)
    (6) USC vs. (1) Gonzaga, 7:15 p.m. TBS

Brian Anderson, Jim Jackson, Allie LaForce (Lucas Oil Stadium South)
    (11) UCLA vs. (1) Michigan, 9:57 p.m. TBS

Awful Announcing does an annual poll of NCAA Tournament broadcaster rankings (based on 16,000 votes after the first two rounds).

10. Lisa Byington and Steve Smith
    9. Carter Blackburn and Debbie Antonelli
    8. Tom McCarthy and Avery Johnson
    7. Spero Dedes and Brendan Haywood
    6. Andrew Catalon and Steve Lappas
    5. Brian Anderson and Jim Jackson
    4. Brad Nessler and Steve Lavin
    3. Jim Nantz and Bill Raftery
    2. Kevin Harlan and Dan Bonner
    1. Ian Eagle and Grant Hill

Reminder that the #3 team on this list is calling the Final Four, with some help from the #1 analyst. The announcing schedule:

SATURDAY, APRIL 3

Pregame

"At The Final Four" – 2 PM, CBS
    Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley, Clark Kellogg, Kenny Smith, Seth Davis, Candace Parker

"The Final Four Show" – 3 PM, CBS
    Ernie Johnson, Greg Gumbel, Charles Barkley, Clark Kellogg, Kenny Smith, Seth Davis, Candace Parker

Final Four

#1 Baylor vs #2 Houston – 5:14 PM
    CBS television: Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill, Tracy Wolfson
    Westwood One: Kevin Kugler, PJ Carlesimo, Jim Jackson

#1 Gonzaga vs #11 UCLA – 8:34 PM
    Westwood One radio: Kevin Kugler, PJ Carlesimo, Jim Jackson

MONDAY, APRIL 5

Pregame

"Prelude to a Championship" – 8:30 PM, CBS
    Greg Gumbel, Charles Barkley, Clark Kellogg, Kenny Smith

National Championship

Baylor/Houston vs Gonzaga/UCLA – 9:20 PM
    Westwood One radio: Kevin Kugler, PJ Carlesimo, Jim Jackson

One Shining Moment

Around 2:30 AM
    Starring Hep Cronin, Sister Jean, Jalen Rose, and Drew Timme's handlebar mustache

Count me as a critic of Bill Raftery. His cliche laden remarks are Cringeworthy. Hoping he will get the boot soon like CBS did with Billy Packer."The Kiss" off the glass.Can't stand him.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Count me as a critic of Bill Raftery. His cliche laden remarks are Cringeworthy. Hoping he will get the boot soon like CBS did with Billy Packer."The Kiss" off the glass.Can't stand him.
    This post aged pretty well. Twitter is still scratching their collective heads over Bill Raftery's "lingerie on the deck, call the janitor" line in the national championship game.

Completely unrelated news. Deadline: ESPN & Paul Pierce Part Ways After His Wild Instagram Live

Antics on social media appear to have claimed another victim. ESPN and its NBA analyst Paul Pierce have parted ways in the wake of his wild Instagram Live that included pot smoking and scantily clad exotic dancers.
    Maybe this is what Raftery was talking about?

Dan Dakich is telling Sports Media Watch that he expects that ESPN will drop him.

Thank goodness. I never want to hear that jerk's voice again.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Dan Dakich is telling Sports Media Watch that he expects that ESPN will drop him.

oh no. anyway...
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post

If he is in fact dropped, I will consider that to be evidence of the existence of a higher being.