Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

This Week in the ACC: 12/21-12/27

Just time for a quick rundown of the week

Monday
    [21]Clemson (-23) hosts [303]Morehead State (12:00, ACCN)
    [24]Florida State (-19) hosts [224]Gardner-Webb (7:00, ACCNX)
    [37]Virginia Tech (-23) hosts [317]Longwood (8:00, ACCN)

Tuesday
    [103]Boston College (-21) hosts [347]Maine (12:00)
    [18]Virginia hosts [282]William & Mary (2:00, ACCN)
    [71]Pittsburgh (1-0) (+3) hosts [33]Louisville (7:00, ACCNX)
    [30]Syracuse (1-0) (-9) hosts [83]Notre Dame (0-1) (7:00, ACCN)
    [41]NC State (-1) hosts [22]North Carolina (9:00, ACCN)

Wednesday
    [76]Georgia Tech (+1) at [97]UAB (7:00, CBSSN)

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday
    [33]Louisville (-4) hosts [50]Kentucky (12:00, ESPN2)
    [18]Virginia (+7) vs. [2]Gonzaga in Ft. Worth (4:00, CBSSN)

Sunday is dark\

ACC Non-Conference Record: 53-21
    ACC vs. Power 6: 16-14
    AAC: 1-1
    America East: 1-0
    Atlantic Sun: 6-1
    Atlantic 10: 1-1
    Big XII: 0-1
    Big East: 2-2
    Big South: 5-0
    B1G: 7-10
    Colonial: 3-0
    CUSA: 1-0
    Horizon: 1-0
    MAAC: 2-0
    MAC: 3-0
    MEAC: 7-0
    MVC: 1-0
    MWC: 1-0
    NEC: 2-1
    Pac-12: 1-0
    SEC: 6-1
    Southern: 1-1
    Sun Belt: 0-1
    SWAC: 1-0
    WCC: 0-1
    Last edited by pfrduke; 12-23-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I hope NCSU gets back Cam Hayes (freshman, looking-like-a-star point guard) and DJ Funderburk before the UNC game. It'd be so like State to have a team that's possibly/probably better than UNC this year, but just before playing UNC, their stabilizing PG and a talented big man that can help battle UNC's brutes inside go missing.

PackMan, what's the status on those two?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Gotta say, I'm a bit concerned about our conference this year.
    You know who else is saying the same thing, though?

The SEC, the Big East, the Pac-12.

This year is shaping up to be a year of two dominant super-conferences in the Big 12 and the Big 10. As of the time of this post, those two conferences combined make up 8 of kenpom's top 11 teams and 12 of kenpom's top-20 teams. Very strong, and very deep conferences.

*But*, I would make the case that the ACC is the nation's #3 conference, which isn't too shabby a place to be, imo. Our closest competitor for #3 is probably the Big East, and we have a nice scalp of them in the form of our 7th-best team or so in VaTech having a win over Villanova, their best team.

We're #3! We're #3! It's not too bad a place to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

If you're not the lead dog, your view never changes.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I hope NCSU gets back Cam Hayes (freshman, looking-like-a-star point guard) and DJ Funderburk before the UNC game. It'd be so like State to have a team that's possibly/probably better than UNC this year, but just before playing UNC, their stabilizing PG and a talented big man that can help battle UNC's brutes inside go missing.

PackMan, what's the status on those two?
    Won't matter. State's bigs will foul out and the heels will kill them inside.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

On paper, NC State presents an interesting challenge for UNC. The Wolfpack are very good at shooting the ball and their guards generate a ton of turnovers. Those are two huge weaknesses for this Carolina team. Not only can't UNC shoot, they are not particularly good at defending the 3, either. They also cough the ball up all the time. But when it comes to UNC and NC State, you can throw all that out the door.

You know who else is saying the same thing, though?

The SEC, the Big East, the Pac-12.

This year is shaping up to be a year of two dominant super-conferences in the Big 12 and the Big 10. As of the time of this post, those two conferences combined make up 8 of kenpom's top 11 teams and 12 of kenpom's top-20 teams. Very strong, and very deep conferences.

*But*, I would make the case that the ACC is the nation's #3 conference, which isn't too shabby a place to be, imo. Our closest competitor for #3 is probably the Big East, and we have a nice scalp of them in the form of our 7th-best team or so in VaTech having a win over Villanova, their best team.

It’s true re: the B12 and B1G but I’d take even odds that the can’t-close reputation of both conferences (1 championship apiece in the past 30 years while the ACC and Big East have taken the last 5) will be extended at the hand of a lesser conference. In other words, I think there’s only one truly elite team out of those 2 conferences (Baylor) and so I’d take a combination of Gonzaga, Villanova and the collective ACC over the likelihood that a B1G or B12 team wins.

Honestly though I’d probably take the Zags and Nova over the field at this point.

Cursory search, but Roy is either undefeated or X-1 in Raleigh. We all go to NCSU on Tuesday night, but that reminds me of the definition of insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    It’s true re: the B12 and B1G but I’d take even odds that the can’t-close reputation of both conferences (1 championship apiece in the past 30 years while the ACC and Big East have taken the last 5) will be extended at the hand of a lesser conference. In other words, I think there’s only one truly elite team out of those 2 conferences (Baylor) and so I’d take a combination of Gonzaga, Villanova and the collective ACC over the likelihood that a B1G or B12 team wins.

Honestly though I’d probably take the Zags and Nova over the field at this point.
    Yeah, with Gonzaga not being part of either conference, I would definitely agree with you in taking the field over either the B12 or B10 winning the title.

We part ways on taking the Zags and Nova over the field, though. I'm a field guy, usually. Even if you swapped Nova with Baylor, I'd take the field over those two dominant teams (Zags and Baylor), I think. (I'd have to mull over whether a bubble situation in Indianapolis helps or hurts the favorites [or is neutral], but plenty of time to do that in Feb/March).

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Cursory search, but Roy is either undefeated or X-1 in Raleigh. We all go to NCSU on Tuesday night, but that reminds me of the definition of insanity.
    Less cursory search tells me that Roy is 15-2 against NCSU in Raleigh.

I share your basic allegiance and sentiment, but not the insanity. If I don't hold a torch for the Pack, I can't get burned.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post

I am not sold on Villanova. They are not a good defensive team. They're slightly better than Iowa, but not much. They look a lot like Creighton, to be honest. There are great guards that can really shoot it but no rim protection and no forced turnovers. Those are both teams begging for an upset if they have an off shooting night. Keve Alluma of Virginia Tech could do no wrong against Nova. I am really curious to see Nova take on Marquette and their frontcourt of Dawson Garcia and Theo John this week. I have a hunch that Nova is going to get exposed a little. Fortunately for the Wildcats, they don't play in a conference with many bigs that can punish them inside.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Won't matter. State's bigs will foul out and the heels will kill them inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I dunno. I guess I'm a little loco but if Cam Hayes is announced as playing, I think I lean State tonight in Degenerates / real-life. But I hope it gets announced soon because I'm not gonna check the wire all day for it. (I hate game-time decisions).

Very curious to see how Virginia looks against Gonzaga.

This Gonzaga team looks like an absolute powerhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilStop View Post
    Very curious to see how Virginia looks against Gonzaga.

This Gonzaga team looks like an absolute powerhouse.
    Agreed. That is an excellent late addition to the season.

Never seen a team play so incredibly stupidly down the stretch. Looked like all the Wolfpack players had large bets on UNC, but NC State managed to win despite its best efforts to throw the game.

the pack tried to do their thing and nearly blew a 13 point lead down the stretch on missed free throws, but ultimately the heels did their thing and lost.

Guess roy is not gonna be in the dadgum christmas spirit this year

(aacidently posted in the wrong thread at first...)
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Never seen a team play so incredibly stupidly down the stretch. Looked like all the Wolfpack players had large bets on UNC, but NC State managed to win despite its best efforts to throw the game.
    Just horrible end game management. Putrid. Lucky to win. But I’ll take any Cheater loss.

By the way, do the cheats have any outside shooting at all?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Heels looked good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Just horrible end game management. Putrid. Lucky to win. But I’ll take any Cheater loss.

By the way, do the cheats have any outside shooting at all?
    2-6 from the line in the last minute
    April 1

Yikes, I thought we were a poor shooting team. And then I watched UNC.