Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Degenerate Gamblers: 2020 Pre-Conference picking contest

Hurry up and sign up, the first games are this week.

For folks who are not familiar, this is a contest where you pick college basketball games against the spread or the over/under. You make wagers in the amount of 100-500 units on each game and we keep track to see who is the best picker. This contest will include games played between now and Dec 31, which is mostly the pre-conference portion of the schedule.

Important rule: Though the website will display games that do not involve ACC teams, YOU CAN ONLY PICKS GAMES INVOLVING AT LEAST 1 ACC TEAM. If you pick, for example, the Kentucky-Kansas game, then (regardless of whether your pick is right or wrong) you will pay a penalty of being forced to make an incorrect pick in some other game to balance out your improper pick. It really is easier if we do not go there so just remember to ONLY PICK GAMES INVOLVING AN ACC TEAM!

One more important rule-- it is possible to be such a loser that you are eliminated from the contest. As in years past, if you find yourself 5000 units in the hole, you are out and may not make any more picks. Now, if you are -4900 you can still make a bunch of picks that day in the hope of catching up, but the moment you get to -5000, you are done picking.

If you have any other questions feel free to post it here and I can answer. For now, follow the instructions below and get started!

Contest Name: DBR 2020 Pre-season contest
    Access Password: GoDuke
    Commissioner: JasonEvans
    Start Date: Nov 23 2020
    End Date: Jan 4 2021
    How To Join: Click on to the following link --> https://contests.covers.com/officepo...e-ac7c00e76b04

-Jason "when this contest ends, we will have one for the ACC regular season race" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Thanks, Jason! And remember:

YOU CAN ONLY PICKS GAMES INVOLVING AT LEAST 1 ACC TEAM

(Someone always messes it up, and it's a tough fix...)

-jk

I am registered. Looking forward to the contest.
    Bob Green

Thanks, Jason!

I'll be going for my fourth title. I think only me and NYBri (two titles) have more than one. Everyone else is at zero or one.

Fun, fun, fun! Can't wait for tomorrow.

Not sure why I do this to myself. I really suck at betting on anything.

But, here goes.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Not sure why I do this to myself. I really suck at betting on anything.

But, here goes.
    Likewise, I'm sure. On both counts.

Wheeeeeeeeeee!

Some of the lines are up already.

Remember, from past experience, when an ACC team plays a high or mid-major, the lines will pop up around this time every evening. But if they're playing a low-major, the lines might not show up until tomorrow morning.

Only 7 degenerates signed up so far? I know there are way more degenerates on DBR than that!

I promise to take it easy on you guys. I will not run away with this competition on Day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Only 7 degenerates signed up so far? I know there are way more degenerates on DBR than that!

I promise to take it easy on you guys. I will not run away with this competition on Day 1.

Well, I am 0-1 so far, and mid way thru the first half of my next 2 picks, looking well on my way to an 0-3 start. Oh, well.

Troublemaker off to a fast start... folks are allowed to join in any time they want, so if you have not joined yet, it is not too late.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I placed my first bet earlier today taking Clemson.
    Bob Green

It is nice to start the season with a win:

1-0 +500

Thank you, Clemson.
    Bob Green

Don't anybody dare get discouraged.

There is lots to play for even if first place seems out of reach. Try for second place, for example, or a positive-money season. Think of me as the "final boss" in a kung-fu movie or video game. One day you'll be able to knock me off -- that's your ultimate goal -- but for now, you need to focus on improving and progressing to the point where you can even meet me in battle.

And for anyone not signed up yet, please do. You make one bet and win it, and you're all of a sudden in 3rd place!

Don't anybody dare get discouraged.

There is lots to play for even if first place seems out of reach.
    First place is not out of reach. I’m in the black and will continue to bet.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    First place is not out of reach. I’m in the black and will continue to bet.
    That's the spirit, Bob! And old Navy vet like you should never back down. (Heck, a part of me is rooting for you to beat me!)

I deserved that 0-3 day yesterday after all my smack talk, haha.

Game on!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Commissioner: JasonEvans
    Start Date: Nov 23 2020
    End Date: Jan 4 2021
    How To Join: Click on to the following link --> https://contests.covers.com/officepo...e-ac7c00e76b04

-Jason "when this contest ends, we will have one for the ACC regular season race" Evans

Commish, requesting an exception to bet the other Champions Classic game between Kentucky and Kansas. All us Dukies are already going to bet Duke-MSU. Why not bet the nightcap as well?

What say you, commish?

Commish, requesting an exception to bet the other Champions Classic game between Kentucky and Kansas. All us Dukies are already going to bet Duke-MSU. Why not bet the nightcap as well?

What say you, commish?
    Exception granted!! You may wager on the Kentucky-Kansas game!!

Thanks for granting the exception, Jason.

A bittersweet night for me, for sure. I went 4-1 but my 1 was the Duke loss. I'd almost rather reverse the results and go 1-4.

A bittersweet night for me, for sure. I went 4-1 but my 1 was the Duke loss. I'd almost rather reverse the results and go 1-4.
    Almost?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Almost?!?!?!?!
    I'm not just using my talents to bet fake money...