Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see a real season happening. I have trouble getting excited about every third game maybe getting played. Why not put it off until April so at least Coach K can be vaccinated. If I can live without hugging my grandchildren over Thanksgiving, I can well wait a few months for college basketball. Maybe others can convince me that trying to return to normalcy makes sense in the heart of the worst of the whole damn pandemic.
    I don't understand why they aren't doing mini-bubbles. In other words, have Gardner Webb and Coppin State come to campus one or two weeks ago to get fully on Duke's Covid protocols. They can practice at Duke's facilities and use whatever education facilities they needed to do their remote learning, and they could play an additional game against each other. Michigan State is playing Notre Dame on Saturday. Seems like it would have been logical to do a bubble of Duke, Michigan State, and Notre Dame in Durham so that we could get the Champions Classic in and knock out our scheduled ACC home game with Notre Dame.

I understand it's probably way more complicated than that but if they were going to do a shortened season anyways might as well just figure out how to do mini-bubbles that rotate every 2-4 weeks. I realize that's the idea behind these multi-team events like the Mako Duke Classic, etc, so clearly it can be done, it just needed to be done more. But that would require teams to go way outside their normal scheduling practices, maybe even require teams to not play so many garbage games against mid and low majors, and all working together and compromising.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    For everybody in this thread complaining about having Comcast and the games being on the ACCN, what you should do is cancel your stupid Comcast and get going with streaming. The sooner you do it, the better, IMO. Cable is just not worth it anymore. Cut the cable, get on to streaming, and enjoy however many games the virus will allow the team to play this year.

Just do it. Sooner is better. Even if you have a “dumb TV,” you can just buy a Roku plug-in and you are good-to-go.
    I agree! I canceled Comcast a year ago because I was so very tired of their price games. YouTubeTV has worked very well and saved me $$$. Then YouTubeTV raised its price, so it’s not much real savings anymore, but there’s a principle here.

Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    I don't understand why they aren't doing mini-bubbles. In other words, have Gardner Webb and Coppin State come to campus one or two weeks ago to get fully on Duke's Covid protocols. They can practice at Duke's facilities and use whatever education facilities they needed to do their remote learning, and they could play an additional game against each other. Michigan State is playing Notre Dame on Saturday. Seems like it would have been logical to do a bubble of Duke, Michigan State, and Notre Dame in Durham so that we could get the Champions Classic in and knock out our scheduled ACC home game with Notre Dame.

I understand it's probably way more complicated than that but if they were going to do a shortened season anyways might as well just figure out how to do mini-bubbles that rotate every 2-4 weeks. I realize that's the idea behind these multi-team events like the Mako Duke Classic, etc, so clearly it can be done, it just needed to be done more. But that would require teams to go way outside their normal scheduling practices, maybe even require teams to not play so many garbage games against mid and low majors, and all working together and compromising.
    That would have only been functional (and I'm using that term loosely) for the opening weekend. After that, teams' schedules deviate too much to make a bubble work. Especially not with a 1-2 week lead-in time for bubbling.

Unless you drastically cut down on the number of games (both in and out of conference), it's just not feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see a real season happening. I have trouble getting excited about every third game maybe getting played. Why not put it off until April so at least Coach K can be vaccinated. If I can live without hugging my grandchildren over Thanksgiving, I can well wait a few months for college basketball. Maybe others can convince me that trying to return to normalcy makes sense in the heart of the worst of the whole damn pandemic.
    Yea, I hate to be pessimistic but I agree with you here. Assuming the virus continues to spread widely and aggressively throughout almost the entire country for the next four to eight weeks (or longer), we'll see (at best) a very disjointed college basketball season. I think it is almost inevitable that there will be positive Covid tests on almost every college team (and let's hope Duke can avoid that!) and that with most college and team protocols in place, games will have to be cancelled or postponed right and left. I really don't see any way that a "normal" season occurs. It would not surprise me in the least to see many schools just cancel the entire season (like the Ivy League) and maybe this is the wisest course of action (from the standpoint of the health of the players, coaches, staff, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I agree! I canceled Comcast a year ago because I was so very tired of their price games. YouTubeTV has worked very well and saved me $$$. Then YouTubeTV raised its price, so it’s not much real savings anymore, but there’s a principle here.
    I did the same thing...cancelled my DISH Network satellite contract last year when we finally got high speed fiber optic installed in our small town and switched over to streaming YouTube TV, when it was $40 per month (compared to about $125 per month for DISH); then YouTube raised the price to $49/month and now up to $65/month and I expect it will go higher). But even with YouTube TV, there are a lot of channels I never watch and don't want to pay for (like cable TV). When are we going to have a true "menu of choices" of channels from which we can pick and choose which stations we want and then pay for that skinny bundle?

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Yea, I hate to be pessimistic but I agree with you here. Assuming the virus continues to spread widely and aggressively throughout almost the entire country for the next four to eight weeks (or longer), we'll see (at best) a very disjointed college basketball season. I think it is almost inevitable that there will be positive Covid tests on almost every college team (and let's hope Duke can avoid that!) and that with most college and team protocols in place, games will have to be cancelled or postponed right and left. I really don't see any way that a "normal" season occurs. It would not surprise me in the least to see many schools just cancel the entire season (like the Ivy League) and maybe this is the wisest course of action (from the standpoint of the health of the players, coaches, staff, etc.).
    The most sensible approach would have been to make it full-on "Spring" sport: delaying the start until March, playing conference-only, and then having the tournament in May.

As is, I too have trouble seeing any realistic way we get through the season. Games are very likely to get postponed/cancelled left and right, especially in January as folks come back from break.

For everybody in this thread complaining about having Comcast and the games being on the ACCN, what you should do is cancel your stupid Comcast and get going with streaming. The sooner you do it, the better, IMO. Cable is just not worth it anymore. Cut the cable, get on to streaming, and enjoy however many games the virus will allow the team to play this year.

Just do it. Sooner is better. Even if you have a “dumb TV,” you can just buy a Roku plug-in and you are good-to-go.
    heavy +1. Every game is streamed...in one way or another.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The most sensible approach would have been to make it full-on "Spring" sport: delaying the start until March, playing conference-only, and then having the tournament in May.

As is, I too have trouble seeing any realistic way we get through the season. Games are very likely to get postponed/cancelled left and right, especially in January as folks come back from break.
    I think this is a better plan and theoretically more realistic to accomplish (but highly unlikely to happen). Plus, it would seem strange to be playing basketball in the Spring semester.

This is good advice up to the point where now Hulu live just jacked prices to be same cost as cable.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    This is good advice up to the point where now Hulu live just jacked prices to be same cost as cable.
    Even if YouTube tv ends up being the same price as my old cable tv with Cox, it’s still a much better service and I can switch or cancel at anytime.

On a side note, I’ve tried all of the streaming services and my favorite BY FAR is YouTube TV.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Even if YouTube tv ends up being the same price as my old cable tv with Cox, it’s still a much better service and I can switch or cancel at anytime.

On a side note, I’ve tried all of the streaming services and my favorite BY FAR is YouTube TV.
    I’ve actually found that since I need Comcast for Internet they will now tack on cable for real cheap. Way cheaper than YouTube Tv + high speed Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    I wish I could be more excited for this...I'm super excited to see these guys play, but with the pandemic raging and NC spiking it's highest number of new cases EVER yesterday (around 4,500), I just don't feel like this is going to go well. Both teams are in large cities in NC, and the governor has ordered a limit of 10 people or less in indoor spaces. So how do we have basketball games? I'm fully prepared for this game to be cancelled/postponed at some point before tipoff, but we shall see.
    Of course it's a moot point now, given the overall premise of this post and its obvious assumption coming to pass, but I just want to point out that Gardner Webb University is located in Boiling Springs, NC with a population under 5,000ppl. It is objectively NOT in a large city, even by NC's modest standard. Oddly, I was born there in the flagship hospital, which had about eight beds in the L&D "wing" of the facility.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

Seems like, wise or not, leagues are bending over backward to ensure that the start of the 2021 season is not impacted by this season. To that end, I wonder if they decided to live with however many games they could get in, create a bubble environment for the tourney to acquire the revenue, and then hope things get back to normal for 2021.

Delaying to spring - hey, no guarantee this thing won't be spreading then as well. March and April were um, not great this year, after all. Why not give yourself more time to accomplish the exact same thing? Can always add a delay later on down the road, yeah? (Just thinking from their perspective, not necessarily arguing in favor of anything).

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Seems like, wise or not, leagues are bending over backward to ensure that the start of the 2021 season is not impacted by this season. To that end, I wonder if they decided to live with however many games they could get in, create a bubble environment for the tourney to acquire the revenue, and then hope things get back to normal for 2021.

Delaying to spring - hey, no guarantee this thing won't be spreading then as well. March and April were um, not great this year, after all. Why not give yourself more time to accomplish the exact same thing? Can always add a delay later on down the road, yeah? (Just thinking from their perspective, not necessarily arguing in favor of anything).
    i imagine that despite "officially" only necessary workers will start getting vaccines in the middle of december...we'll find out that SOMEHOW the basketball team ended up high up on the list. Of course, that will never be official policy...sort of like how despite a scarcity of tests earlier in the year, somehow they were able to test athletes multiple times a week. Maybe not at duke, but I guarantee it will happen somewhere.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i imagine that despite "officially" only necessary workers will start getting vaccines in the middle of december...we'll find out that SOMEHOW the basketball team ended up high up on the list. Of course, that will never be official policy...sort of like how despite a scarcity of tests earlier in the year, somehow they were able to test athletes multiple times a week. Maybe not at duke, but I guarantee it will happen somewhere.
    Sure, but it's gotta happen everywhere in order to make a spring season more likely than a November - April season that still retains flexibility to get delay the tourney.

But yes, it's been interesting how much better the testing and tracing is for these athletes and how quickly they get their results back compared to the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Sure, but it's gotta happen everywhere in order to make a spring season more likely than a November - April season that still retains flexibility to get delay the tourney.

But yes, it's been interesting how much better the testing and tracing is for these athletes and how quickly they get their results back compared to the rest of us.
    to be fair, anyone at duke can get tests now...and duke HAS largely been on the forefront of test availability (mostly because they want the data for research)...and I think they know with how strict our protocols are, it seems the other teams have been far bigger risks...which has played out in both football and bball.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    to be fair, anyone at duke can get tests now...and duke HAS largely been on the forefront of test availability (mostly because they want the data for research)...and I think they know with how strict our protocols are, it seems the other teams have been far bigger risks...which has played out in both football and bball.
    Oh yeah, Duke's been a model for how to handle it. The NCAA's really up against it because, while some programs like Duke are keeping things really tight, there's a ton of variance across hundreds of D1 programs (for hoops). A decentralized body will find it hard to manage something like this across all its member teams. Hoping the ACC protocols will give a smaller, more common ground that could increase the likelihood for a successful season. We'll see.

I posted this on another thread but it also seems relevant here.

https://seminoles.com/florida-state-...ener-canceled/

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I posted this on another thread but it also seems relevant here.

https://seminoles.com/florida-state-...ener-canceled/
    Thanks for posting and, I'm afraid, a sign of what is to come in almost all NCAA winter sports. Ugh.

Perhaps that's feasible for people who are the only TV watchers in their home. Others of us may live with people who aren't willing to change their entire tv routine because their spouse wants to watch a Duke game.