Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Perhaps that's feasible for people who are the only TV watchers in their home. Others of us may live with people who aren't willing to change their entire tv routine because their spouse wants to watch a Duke game.
    Yeah, it does get complicated. Folks I know who have cut the cord in favor of various streaming services have found their total expenditure creeping up into cable range as the streaming services raise prices.

And as you imply, there is no replacement for domestic tranquility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Perhaps that's feasible for people who are the only TV watchers in their home. Others of us may live with people who aren't willing to change their entire tv routine because their spouse wants to watch a Duke game.
    There are others out there? I'm not alone!! 😂

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    I'm not alone!!
    The rest of us are. that's why it's not an issue to upend the TV routine to watch duke games
    1200. DDMF.

Accnx

The Saturday game against Coppin State is supposed to be on ACCNX. I looked at the upcoming schedule found on the ESPN app and did not see the game listed. I am not sure how to watch the game. I do receive the ACCN on Spectrum. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The most sensible approach would have been to make it full-on "Spring" sport: delaying the start until March, playing conference-only, and then having the tournament in May.

As is, I too have trouble seeing any realistic way we get through the season. Games are very likely to get postponed/cancelled left and right, especially in January as folks come back from break.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by indy1duke View Post
    The Saturday game against Coppin State is supposed to be on ACCNX. I looked at the upcoming schedule found on the ESPN app and did not see the game listed. I am not sure how to watch the game. I do receive the ACCN on Spectrum. Any ideas?
    If you have Spectrum, you can get access to ACCNX. You need to download the ESPN app. You’ll have to enter your Spectrum account info. You’ll then be able to get the streaming video for any ACCNX broadcasts. You can cast it to your big TV assuming you have the proper device attached to your TV. I’m using an old Chromecast but I expect Roku and all the others work.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yeah, it does get complicated. Folks I know who have cut the cord in favor of various streaming services have found their total expenditure creeping up into cable range as the streaming services raise prices.

And as you imply, there is no replacement for domestic tranquility.
    Mrs. Lotus watches only CBS morning news, Netflix, HULU and Prime. I get Sling for college football and basketball season. After the tourney I drop Sling and add HBO Now to get caught up on the the HBO shows until basketball starts up again. You can’t do that with cable. Also I have a 2nd home so I can use the same streaming services at both.

Start a new subscription with Comcast, Dish, Direct TV, etc by using a new address. Ie move your residence from 101 Main St to 101 main St apartment 2. Get a new subscription at a much lower rate when these companies have promotions available. Saves $$$ with no interruption of service.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    I wish I could be more excited for this...I'm super excited to see these guys play, but with the pandemic raging and NC spiking it's highest number of new cases EVER yesterday (around 4,500), I just don't feel like this is going to go well. Both teams are in large cities in NC, and the governor has ordered a limit of 10 people or less in indoor spaces. So how do we have basketball games? I'm fully prepared for this game to be cancelled/postponed at some point before tipoff, but we shall see.
    Boiling Springs is home to about 5,000 citizens.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    Boiling Springs is home to about 5,000 citizens.
    yes, and they're all 8' tall. it's a *large* city
    1200. DDMF.

This thread for a postponed game seems like an awesome place to share anecdotes about streaming services and television viewing among households, etc. I'm all for that.

Perhaps in the future, for Duke basketball games, we could excise that discussion to its own thread (e.g., one thread for Duke vs Gardner Webb, a separate thread for grumbling about Comcast and ACCN and how to stream the game on your Roku and why you won't be watching the game because ACCN costs $5/mo and how your sports viewership has changed since the ACC expanded to 15 teams and the game isn't listed on the ESPN app six days in advance, etc.)? This discussion about watching the game and how the ACCN is inconvenient for cable subscribers happens every single time there's a game that isn't televised on an ESPN or basic cable channel. It's really enough, but for everyone who wants to commiserate, it seems reasonable to confine that skipping record to its own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    This thread for a postponed game seems like an awesome place to share anecdotes about streaming services and television viewing among households, etc. I'm all for that.

Perhaps in the future, for Duke basketball games, we could excise that discussion to its own thread (e.g., one thread for Duke vs Gardner Webb, a separate thread for grumbling about Comcast and ACCN and how to stream the game on your Roku and why you won't be watching the game because ACCN costs $5/mo and how your sports viewership has changed since the ACC expanded to 15 teams and the game isn't listed on the ESPN app six days in advance, etc.)? This discussion about watching the game and how the ACCN is inconvenient for cable subscribers happens every single time there's a game that isn't televised on an ESPN or basic cable channel. It's really enough, but for everyone who wants to commiserate, it seems reasonable to confine that skipping record to its own thread.
    I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. And a Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

AMEN and totally agree!

We typically have a separate thread to discuss streaming issues, but questions still arise in pregame threads and especially at the start of the season when people are revisiting their options.

I saw that Gardner Webb canceled their next game too, which was scheduled against Florida State this weekend. It stinks but it’s part of life nowadays.

Am I the only one that has a vague sense of ennui today, largely based upon the fact that I have been looking forward to seeing some Duke basketball since March, and had this game written in big letters with an exclamation mark after it on my calendar?

Covid sucks.

That is all.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Am I the only one that has a vague sense of ennui today, largely based upon the fact that I have been looking forward to seeing some Duke basketball since March, and had this game written in big letters with an exclamation mark after it on my calendar?

Covid sucks.

That is all.
    Nope, I'm with you on this.

Well, the grumbling is a natural progression on the board, downstream of the puns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    Well, the grumbling is a natural progression on the board, downstream of the puns.
    https://www.pisgahbrewing.com/

Their slogan?

"We all drink downstreamTM"
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    https://www.pisgahbrewing.com/

Their slogan?

"We all drink downstreamTM"
    That's a local on my chart.

Tasty brews. Don't sleep on the Greybeard IPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That's a local on my chart.

Tasty brews. Don't sleep on the Greybeard IPA.
    I've been very pleased with the half dozen or so Pisgah brews I've been fortunate enough to sample, including Greybeard but I'd guess that's been about 5 years, at least.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.