Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    That's a bummer but I guess we better just expect most games to be cancelled/rescheduled this year. Now just got to wait until Saturday.

Our season opener is now scheduled for this Saturday vs. Coppin State in Cameron (2 PM ET, ACC Network Extra).
    OK, how do we access ACC Network Extra? Is that computer only? Do smart TV's (or Amazon Firesticks) have access to "Extra" by downloading the app and signing in somehow?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    OK, how do we access ACC Network Extra? Is that computer only? Do smart TV's (or Amazon Firesticks) have access to "Extra" by downloading the app and signing in somehow?
    Apparently, it comes as part of the Hulu Live TV package (per the internet, which never lies).

If you hear screaming coming from the direction of Rhode Island on Saturday, it would suggest the contrary...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Streaming only channel. Will be on the ESPN app as long as it’s included in your tv package.

So far, the women's game against Longwood is still happening at noon on Wednesday, so if you were set on a Wednesday season opening, you can still have it.

Damn. Postponed.

I was worried that the test might be a DUKE covid case. But it wasn't. I would have been mildly surprised if it WAS, to be honest... we've been SO good, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    So far, the women's game against Longwood is still happening at noon on Wednesday, so if you were set on a Wednesday season opening, you can still have it.
    i'm "game"
    1200. DDMF.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see a real season happening. I have trouble getting excited about every third game maybe getting played. Why not put it off until April so at least Coach K can be vaccinated. If I can live without hugging my grandchildren over Thanksgiving, I can well wait a few months for college basketball. Maybe others can convince me that trying to return to normalcy makes sense in the heart of the worst of the whole damn pandemic.

Keep in mind that Bellarmine has already cancelled its first three games and is now scheduled to open their season against us on 12/4. If I were Duke, that game would scare the heck out of me from a virus transmission standpoint. The ACC should have gone conference only. Duke as a university has done an amazing job controlling the virus, they are a model across the country for the protocols they have implemented. For the basketball team, they must feel like they're taking an enormous risk by playing an opponent from a smaller school who doesn't take the same precautions. (And to be fair, I wholly understand that Gardner Webb or Bellarmine simply doesn't have the same resources available to them as Duke.)

So Tennessee is reporting that they have positive cases in their program, including head coach Rick Barnes. Tennessee was scheduled to host VCU and another team for a multi-team event this week. That leaves VCU without games and it's a short drive to Durham from Richmond. What this season really needs it a last-minute rescheduling czar to help make these matches work out. Bring VCU down to Durham for a game if everyone tests negative today.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    So Tennessee is reporting that they have positive cases in their program, including head coach Rick Barnes. Tennessee was scheduled to host VCU and another team for a multi-team event this week. That leaves VCU without games and it's a short drive to Durham from Richmond. What this season really needs it a last-minute rescheduling czar to help make these matches work out. Bring VCU down to Durham for a game if everyone tests negative today.
    I actually like that idea. It would be like playing pick up at the gym, just get five guys together and call next. Logically there are obviously road blocks but it would be nice if we could find a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I actually like that idea. It would be like playing pick up at the gym, just get five guys together and call next. Logically there are obviously road blocks but it would be nice if we could find a replacement.
    Ole Miss was due to play Central Ark and Jackson St this week but Ole Miss just put their program on paus due to Covid. There are plenty of potential opponents who are seeing games cancelled because the opponent has Covid. Baylor and Az. St just cancelled what would have been a huge game because Baylor coach Scott Drew tested positive.

That said, I suspect Coach K does not want to play anyone on such short noting with no time to prepare or game plan. He will wait until Saturday for our season opener.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see a real season happening. I have trouble getting excited about every third game maybe getting played. Why not put it off until April so at least Coach K can be vaccinated. If I can live without hugging my grandchildren over Thanksgiving, I can well wait a few months for college basketball. Maybe others can convince me that trying to return to normalcy makes sense in the heart of the worst of the whole damn pandemic.
    Not to make light of this virus (because it's deadly serious), but I often refer to it as the "damndemic".

It's going to be an interesting season to say the least...especially when you consider that we haven't seen the worst of this pandemic yet (if you put much credence in what the epidemiologists are saying - and I do).

Well, I guess that takes care of that! We'll see if a game can happen on Sat.

For everybody in this thread complaining about having Comcast and the games being on the ACCN, what you should do is cancel your stupid Comcast and get going with streaming. The sooner you do it, the better, IMO. Cable is just not worth it anymore. Cut the cable, get on to streaming, and enjoy however many games the virus will allow the team to play this year.

Just do it. Sooner is better. Even if you have a “dumb TV,” you can just buy a Roku plug-in and you are good-to-go.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    especially when you consider that we haven't seen the worst of this pandemic yet (if you put much credence in what the epidemiologists are saying - and I do).
    Yeah, with airports packed with damndemic (I like that term, thanks for offering it, peloton!) travelers who are saying "screw it!" and throwing caution and common sense to the wind, so to speak, the post Thanksgiving outbreaks are going to be massive.

We are staying home this week, which wasn't our plan last week. But my momma didn't raise no dummy. She raised a Duke graduate.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

If... and I doubt it... if Duke wants to find a replacement team, East Carolina's game against Indiana State has been postponed after an outbreak on the ISU team. The game was going to be played as part of a multi-team event in Florida, but ECU now says they ain't going to Florida right now.

Would they instead be interested in taking a 1 hour bus ride to Durham? I dunno, but this would seem to be a very logical replacement if Duke wanted to consider one.

-Jason "ECU is not a great team, #123 on KenPom, but is significantly better than Gardner-Webb, #248 on KenPom" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I am so sad about this postponement that I had to post this picture to remind me that there is still a lot of beauty in the world

McBob.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If... and I doubt it... if Duke wants to find a replacement team, East Carolina's game against Indiana State has been postponed after an outbreak on the ISU team. The game was going to be played as part of a multi-team event in Florida, but ECU now says they ain't going to Florida right now.

Would they instead be interested in taking a 1 hour bus ride to Durham? I dunno, but this would seem to be a very logical replacement if Duke wanted to consider one.

-Jason "ECU is not a great team, #123 on KenPom, but is significantly better than Gardner-Webb, #248 on KenPom" Evans
    Scheduling games on the fly doesn’t seem like a very Duke thing to me. K likes his routine. Also seems like a poor idea from a COVID perspective. You want to know the other team’s protocol well in advance of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Would they [ECU] instead be interested in taking a 1 hour bus ride to Durham? I dunno, but this would seem to be a very logical replacement if Duke wanted to consider one.
    A couple months ago we all speculated that Duke might try to fill their non-conference schedule with local teams like Elon, Davidson, NCCU, App State, UNC-G, etc. It makes perfectly logical sense to me for everybody to be playing a more local schedule.

I guess the question right now would be whether ECU or any other opponent could a.) arrange the travel on short notice, and b.) prove to Duke that they are adhering to safety protocols that meet Duke's requirements, which would presumably include a certain number of negative tests over a time period leading up to the game.