Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 81, Coppin State 71 Post Game Thread

Discuss the season opener here.
    Bob Green

Not going to win many games turning the ball over 22 times.

We'll just say that was first game jitters. Cut the turnovers down in half and that's a 20+ point win. Saw a lot of good things today. Let's see how they improve game to game.

Johnson is a real one, Steward is a bucket, I am sticking with the positives. So fun to see Duke play again!!!

Sloppy Game

Quick thoughts, but tempering the concern after just one game:
    1. Too many turnovers. Maybe freshman jitters, but those skip pass TOs were ridiculous.
    2. Need our veterans to play smart and not foul.
    3. Jalen Johnson is really good.
    4. DJ is not going to have his way like today against bigger and faster foes, but he has game.

Positives: Jalen Johnson is the prototype Duke wing—a do-it-all guy. DJ Steward showed energy, strong shooting ability, and a willingness to play aggressive man defense. Hurt emerged as being more aggressive in looking for his shot.

Negatives: upperclassmen do not appear to have improved all that much in the offseason. Need to see a lot more from Goldwire, Moore, and Baker. 22 turnovers is something we need to fix, and fast.

Uh, since this is our first game since beating UNC in the regular season finale, can we say "survive and advance?"

Lots to improve on before MSU.

thank god that's over.

* second half start
    * turnovers
    * johnson and steward promising
    * despite the mantra that the upperclassmen were awful, hurt and moore played decently. I mean, not exceptional, but serviceable.
    * baker and goldwire were mega disappointments. 5 ast, 5 TO, 5 PF, 4 TP

if we play anything like that next week, we will get obliterated.
    April 1

Ugh, just ugh. Yes, we won, but that was NOT the way to start a season.

Jaylen & DJ came to play. Most everyone else, not so much.

I don’t even mind Jaylen’s 7 TOs since he put up 19 & 19 in his college debut!

JJ and DJ are one and done.

Moore and Hurt aren't getting drafted. Moore because he doesn't have a perimeter shot. Hurt because his defence is still bad.

Goldwire and Baker were terrible. Need to step it up big time otherwise I can see them buried on the bench.

22 TOs and mostly from Goldwire, Baker and Moore. Some of them soul crushingly bad, like straight out of a timeout.

I would like to see more of Mark Williams, Brakefield and Coleman. They look like players. More so than Baker, Goldwire and Moore.

We need to improve our defence. We need to hit more 3's. Otherwise its going to be a long season outside the top 10.

Still, its great to see two superstars in the making with DJ and JJ. Now can Hurt and Moore step up to be the 3rd and 4th options?

Love having Duke Basketball back!

But just so damn sad seeing Cameron like that.

Where was Tapé
    Last edited by -jk; 11-28-2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: put an apostrophe after tape to autocorrect to Tapé

5 thoughts:

1. Losing an opener to Coppin State would have been embarrassing. I was thinking that they might make a run, and they were looking good until Steward hit that 3. No SFA this time.
    2. Is Johnson really this good? 19/19/5/4???? It’s very early… but be still, my heart. Steward also impressed me.
    3. 22 turnovers? Many of them totally unforced. And it looks like Johnson had 7 of them. OK, maybe I’m coming back down to earth.
    4. What, no Tape? Injury?
    5. Hurt looked better, but I can’t say he took a huge step forward yet. Again, it’s early.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Moore and Hurt aren't getting drafted. Moore because he doesn't have a perimeter shot. Hurt because his defence is still bad.
    That's a bit of a statement after a single very poorly played team game. Moore played alright once he got his legs under him, and has much better numbers if he doesn't get in foul trouble. It may turn out he still isn't good enough to go, but those two didn't have awful games. Hurt was a couple boards from a double double.

22 TOs and mostly from Goldwire, Baker and Moore.
    uhhhh johnson had almost as many as the 3 of them combined...
    April 1

I do recall Tre Jones having a poor start to the season last year. So I’m going to reserve judgement on Moore’s lack of impact.

Based on the scrimmage videos it seemed apparent that Steward has some real skills. He did not disappoint.

Hurt was pretty much what I thought and realistically hoped he would be. He was a positive overall.

Jalen is the obvious stud of the group.

I am kicking myself for thinking Baker would get double digit minutes this season. The game is still just way too fast for him. I don’t think he is a player for this level.

Nobody should be surprised that K went with 4 guards and a big to close out the game. Sure, Hurt got his 4th with over 5 minutes left but K was going to go that way regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Negatives: upperclassmen do not appear to have improved all that much in the offseason. Need to see a lot more from Goldwire, Moore, and Baker.
    I do wonder if this was a typical off-season for the now upperclassmen? This one year decision may turn in to a two year decision.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    5 thoughts:

1. Losing an opener to Coppin State would have been embarrassing. I was thinking that they might make a run, and they were looking good until Steward hit that 3. No SFA this time.
    2. Is Johnson really this good? 19/19/5/4???? It’s very early… but be still, my heart. Steward also impressed me.
    3. 22 turnovers? Many of them totally unforced. And it looks like Johnson had 7 of them. OK, maybe I’m coming back down to earth.
    4. What, no Tape? Injury?
    5. Hurt looked better, but I can’t say he took a huge step forward yet. Again, it’s early.

9F
    Tape- yes what happened there? I thought Duke did not do much to get easy buckets- either by forcing turnovers and breaking or getting it to players down low. Hard to win without that. Turnovers may reduce with more playing time, but that was the main reason CS stayed in this. A pretty uneven performance overall. Steward played well throughout. He has a lot of offensive skills.

Based on the scrimmage footage and one game, Jalen looks to be the real deal. He, DJ and Roach will be fun to watch. Wish we could have seen more of Williams and any of Tape. Goldwire starting as a Duke PG has always been a scary thought. Moore and especially Joey always seem a little over their heads. Hurt is so slow. He really looks like he’s in slow motion.

It should be a fun season.

I'm not going to read too much into one sloppily played game other than Jalen Johnson is a great talent.

Unlike a lot of our amazing talented OADs, Johnson is already a great passer and does not appear to force shots. He should be a lot of fun to watch this year and, once he cuts down on the turnovers, should make everyone around him a better player.

I'm sure the focus now will be on taking care of the ball. Plenty of work to do before Michigan State. This is a young team that I expect will improve a great deal as the season goes along.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Writing up my detailed thoughts for my first piece since March... no matter what, it's great to have Duke basketball back!

The long story short:
    —Jalen Johnson is going to dictate our ceiling this season.
    —Jordan Goldwire plays better off the ball than on it, which means this team at its best likely needs either Roach or Steward to step up and compliment him as a ball handler.
    —No Tape, and minimal Mark Williams, could be a function of the competition, or it could be indicative of K committing to a small ball approach. I wouldn't rule on that until after we play Illinois, a team with true bruisers in the paint.
    —We shouldn't read too much into anything... after all, this was essentially the equivalent of our first preseason game under normal circumstances.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!