Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Our OL is not good.
    I'm afraid I have to agree.

lol, what part of our team is good?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    No smiley face needed...oh, that's right - you're being serious!

Our tackling is just atrocious. And our linebackers are routinely out of position or just outplayed.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Punting?

Duke has a few really good players, just not enough.

As you may have heard, Cut's comments w/the reporter coming out from halftime included him mentioning the 2nd half would be the best one they've played all season. Oh, well.

4 untouched TD runs of 20 or more yards tonight. Just no way to put a positive spin on that.

We are down 23 in a game where we were favored by 2, presumably reflecting an objective Vegas view of the relative talent and experience of the two teams.

And how many times have we been out scored materially in the second half this year?

What if our ceiling...

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    As you may have heard, Cut's comments w/the reporter coming out from halftime included him mentioning the 2nd half would be the best one they've played all season. Oh, well.
    Looks like our football ceiling is the Roof.

[apologies if this has been said before...perhaps many times]
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Duke has a few really good players, just not enough.
    Ladies & gentlemen, we have a winner. That's always been and will probably always be the case, let's be honest. Although a really good QB and good receivers (see Ben Bennett, Clarkston Hines, etc) can make a huge difference...could be the Macallan talking though.

This is the first game where I feel really bad for th team. That was embarrassing.

Noah Gray is a great receiver, only one we got.

I told myself I wouldn’t watch us play after the UVA game. I failed.
    If Stanford (or even UVA) can do it, we can. We are an embarrassment to football.
    Thanks Coach Cut but we need better, a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by triple duke View Post
    I told myself I wouldn’t watch us play after the UVA game. I failed.
    If Stanford (or even UVA) can do it, we can. We are an embarrassment to football.
    Thanks Coach Cut but we need better, a lot better.
    Cut is ruining his legacy by staying on. Have some dignity coach, please.
    The Coastal has moved on. VT, UNC, GT, Wake, UVA have all upgraded coaching and left us in the dust.
    Don't leave us worse than where you found us.
    Duke 5 - UNC 4*

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Noah Gray is a great receiver, only one we got.
    He's very good, no doubt. I think Bobo has shown though that he has more than good hands (although there's more than that to being a good receiver of course).

I do not post here often because you guys usually cover all the important points and there is no reason to reiterate your good points. In this case though I think it is too important a point on time for Duke football to not comment.

First, and most importantly, I don't remember seeing a worse-coached Cut team. I love Cut - he is a super classy guy and has been a savior for Duke football - but this team is a complete disaster. And I don't think the talent is at an all time low - we could debate how it measures up against other Cut rosters, but it is not awful. The coaching by comparison has been awful, and I don't think it is debatable. In this game and many others, but particularly the UNC game, we have regularly been incorrectly lined up and our play calling and adjustments at the line are just plain bone headed. In the UNC game you could see us regularly outflanked and we made no adjustments. There was a short and goal situation where UNC could have scored against is - our DE was inside the TE and our LB was too far inside to cover any outside action. I am talking about basic high school level unbalanced line situations. It is really embarrassing.

Second, I don't understand the total, blind commitment to Brice. I will make the obligatory statement that I am sure he is a great kid and I appreciate that. With that out of the way, I will say what we are all thinking - are Gunnar and Luca really that bad? If they are, our problems are even worse than I think. My guess is they are deserving of a shot,but aren't getting opportunities because Cut - God bless him - is showing his Achilles heel, his loyalty.

Cut really was the best choice for us to rescue Duke football, but this team really has to have some different at this time. I would hope that would be a new OC, but I am not sure about that as the defense also seems to be a disaster.

This is a bit of a disjointed ending, but Gray, Pancol, Bobo and Durant seem like the real deal on offense. I know the OL could be better, but I wonder out loud why those four guys don't get 90% of the offensive touches.

Sorry for the serial post, but in reading the comments, I thought I needed to add a "me too" on the LB play. I watched them specifically in the second half and couldn't believe how regularly they were out of position as demonstrated by the numerous long runs with the GT RBs and QB
    untouched 10 yards or more down the field.

My Takle

I don't follow Duke football as closely as some of you.

I doubt if we can get an upgrade on Cut. Getting rid of Cut would be difficult given all he has done for Duke. Finding a better replacement will be much harder.

He needs to do something with his staff starting with the coach of the linebackers.

I don't understand how a player can pick up the ball on his own 1 yard line and stand there. How does the special teams coach send out a player who evidently does not know the basic rules?

Receivers gotta catch the ball.

For Duke football to be good it needs an elite QB and a season with very few injuries.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I don't understand how a player can pick up the ball on his own 1 yard line and stand there. How does the special teams coach send out a player who evidently does not know the basic rules?
    he signalled for fair catch before picking it up...unfortunately the "catch" part is pretty integral to it. Either way, didn't know the rules, and that's not excusable for a kick returner.

Not sure whether that is better or worse than trying to take advantage of the rules and miserably failing, like the GT kick returner did just before. I suppose it's "too clever" vs "not clever enough" in this case.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by barely View Post
    I do not post here often because you guys usually cover all the important points and there is no reason to reiterate your good points. In this case though I think it is too important a point on time for Duke football to not comment.

First, and most importantly, I don't remember seeing a worse-coached Cut team. I love Cut - he is a super classy guy and has been a savior for Duke football - but this team is a complete disaster. And I don't think the talent is at an all time low - we could debate how it measures up against other Cut rosters, but it is not awful. The coaching by comparison has been awful, and I don't think it is debatable. In this game and many others, but particularly the UNC game, we have regularly been incorrectly lined up and our play calling and adjustments at the line are just plain bone headed. In the UNC game you could see us regularly outflanked and we made no adjustments. There was a short and goal situation where UNC could have scored against is - our DE was inside the TE and our LB was too far inside to cover any outside action. I am talking about basic high school level unbalanced line situations. It is really embarrassing.

Second, I don't understand the total, blind commitment to Brice. I will make the obligatory statement that I am sure he is a great kid and I appreciate that. With that out of the way, I will say what we are all thinking - are Gunnar and Luca really that bad? If they are, our problems are even worse than I think. My guess is they are deserving of a shot,but aren't getting opportunities because Cut - God bless him - is showing his Achilles heel, his loyalty.

Cut really was the best choice for us to rescue Duke football, but this team really has to have some different at this time. I would hope that would be a new OC, but I am not sure about that as the defense also seems to be a disaster.

This is a bit of a disjointed ending, but Gray, Pancol, Bobo and Durant seem like the real deal on offense. I know the OL could be better, but I wonder out loud why those four guys don't get 90% of the offensive touches.
    You seem to sum up our football team. I think Coach Cut showed his biggest flaw in his half-time comments. I don't know if he was trying to convince his team or himself that all of sudden they would play their best half of the season. Most coaches would be reading the riot act to a team that has given up on the season. Not all of the team but enough of them to make Duke football look like a midget team playing a high school team. His loyalty to his coaches and his players has put the team back to where it was when he arrived. I agree we do have some good players. Durant is a heck-of-a-player and on a team with better OL and coaches would be first team ACC. He's showed me more than Jackson. There are too many poor players on this team. Our OL sucks, our receivers look like they are anticipating contact and not catching passes they should make. Brice looks bad but I know a lot of that comes from a bad OL and bad receivers. It's been a long time since I've been this down on a Duke Football team.

GoDuke!