Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I thought this contest was an average of all games, not just non-blowouts. In that case, you're predicting between 116 and 144 minutes at PF for Wendell over the course of the season (assuming none of our games are covid-canceled). That sounds like a lot to me.
    It is -- sorry for the confusion. Yes, I'm (implicitly) giving Wendell 4mpg at PF as an average across all games. (I probably should've been explicit like the way DukieTiger did it above.)

These are always a mess due to injuries, and I'm guessing COVID isn't going to help. But with that said, here goes:

Johnson: 30
    Moore: 32
    Roach: 29
    Hurt: 26
    Goldwire: 26
    Steward: 23
    Baker: 11
    Tape: 10
    Coleman: 8
    Williams: 4
    Brakefield: 1
    Buckmire*: 0.5

* Buckmire's minutes push slightly over 200, but they are a function of rounding to the nearest whole number for everyone else above.

My not-so-Sage minutes entry. Probably underestimating minutes at 201 -- this team could play overtime in a bunch of games.

30 Matthew Hurt
    30 Wendell Moore
    25 Jeremy Roach
    20 Jordan Goldwire
    20 Jalen Johnson
    15 Joey Baker
    15 DJ Steward
    15 Mark Williams
    15 Patrick Tape
    10 Henry Coleman
    5 Jaemym Brakefield
    1 Mike Buckmire
    0 Others
    201 Total

I like this teams because there are so many potential contributors. It does make the "minutes contest" a bit of an adventure.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

ESPN+: Kihei Clark of UVa Is Better than Anyone on the Duke Roster

ESPN+ has come up with its top 25 preseason list for college basketball players. This is proprietary so I won't reprint, but highest ranking ACC player is Garrison Brooks of UNC. Same Hauser and Kihei Clark of Virginia and Carlik Jones of Louisville are on the list.

No one from Duke on the list. Looks like bulletin board material to me.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

My prediction is Goldwire leads team in minutes. He will be the only player over 30 mpg.

Moore 31
    Johnson 30
    Roach 29
    Hurt 28
    Goldwire 25
    Steward 21
    Baker 13
    Coleman 9
    Williams 8
    Tape 4
    Brakefield ~1
    Others ~1

With Wednesday's postponement, the entry deadline is now extended to before the tip of Saturday's Coppin State game.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Moore: 31
    Goldwire: 30
    Johnson: 27
    Hurt: 26
    Steward: 22
    Baker: 11
    Brakefield: 2

Seems kind of backcourt heavy but I guess that is where our strength lies.

Ross Homan 2021 NBA Draft Preview

Despite the title, I think this fits best when talking about the roster. Ross Homan, writer for The Stepien, has a long and very interesting breakdown of prospects for the 2021 NBA Draft. This features many Blue Devils, including Jalen Johnson, Henry Coleman (!), Jeremy Roach, and DJ Steward. He lists Matthew Hurt and Wendell Moore as late 1st round/early 2nd round propects.

I don't think Henry Coleman is going to be a one-and-done and Homan suggests as much. Still, he has a number of very interesting points to make about him. If you are starved for basketball and want to watch a few clips of the players in action, it is well worth the read. It's also a good scouting report of some other players that will be prominently featured during the college basketball season.

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/11/2...eason-preview/

33 Jordan Goldwire
    31 Wendell Moore
    27 Matthew Hurt
    26 Jeremy Roach
    24 Jalen Johnson
    18 Joey Baker
    14 Henry Coleman
    13 DJ Steward
    6 Patrick Tape
    5 Mark Williams
    3 Jaemym Brakefield
    1 Mike Buckmire

Wendell Moore 32
    Jalen Johnson 29
    Matthew Hurt 28
    Jordan Goldwire 26
    Jeremy Roach 22
    DJ Steward 21
    Joey Baker 16
    Mark Williams 11
    Henry Coleman 7
    Patrick Tape 5
    Jaemyn Brakefield 3

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Despite the title, I think this fits best when talking about the roster. Ross Homan, writer for The Stepien, has a long and very interesting breakdown of prospects for the 2021 NBA Draft. This features many Blue Devils, including Jalen Johnson, Henry Coleman (!), Jeremy Roach, and DJ Steward. He lists Matthew Hurt and Wendell Moore as late 1st round/early 2nd round propects.

I don't think Henry Coleman is going to be a one-and-done and Homan suggests as much. Still, he has a number of very interesting points to make about him. If you are starved for basketball and want to watch a few clips of the players in action, it is well worth the read. It's also a good scouting report of some other players that will be prominently featured during the college basketball season.

The section on Coleman was particularly interesting. According to RSCI, Coleman was the #49 ranked player in the class. Duke rarely, if ever, gets 1st round talent that isn't ranked in the top 20, not to mention the top 50. Is this kid considered a steal? Hope so. Anywho, it's making me reconsider the minutes challenge...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

My minuites

Jalen Johnson 33
    Wendell Moore 31
    Jordan Goldwire 29
    Matthew Hurt 27
    Jeremy Roach 21
    DJ Steward 17
    Joey Baker 13
    Henry Coleman 11
    Patrick Tape 8
    Mark Williams 7
    Jaemyn Brakefield 3
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    The section on Coleman was particularly interesting. According to RSCI, Coleman was the #49 ranked player in the class. Duke rarely, if ever, gets 1st round talent that isn't ranked in the top 20, not to mention the top 50. Is this kid considered a steal? Hope so. Anywho, it's making me reconsider the minutes challenge...
    Yes, it was incredibly positive. If Henry is really as good as this guy says, it changes the outlook on this Duke team. It would also take three players who I think might be really good (Tapé, Williams, Brakefield) and relegates them to mop-up minutes. That said, I'm not sold yet.

It's a shame the pre-season is going to be so short this year. That would have been the time when all 11 players could show us what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I think I’ve said this in another thread but I wonder if there’s going to be greater variance in the RSCI this year than in years past in terms of how well the rankings correlate to the actual best players. These guys missed portions of their senior years, plus the all star circuit and I wonder if that’s going to cause certain guys to be underrated.

I’m thinking not only of Coleman here, but even Jalen Johnson, whose stock dropped due to a choppy senior year.

For Coleman, we’ve now got a couple of data points that suggest he’s being undervalued- low level scouts and the team narratives. Still hard to predict his minutes since there’s a lot of competition at his position.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Yes, it was incredibly positive. If Henry is really as good as this guy says, it changes the outlook on this Duke team. It would also take three players who I think might be really good (Tapé, Williams, Brakefield) and relegates them to mop-up minutes. That said, I'm not sold yet.

It's a shame the pre-season is going to be so short this year. That would have been the time when all 11 players could show us what they have.
    Worth noting that Ross is also relatively high on Brakefield. There’s gonna be a lot of competition for minutes if those guys are legit NBA prospects in the near term (1-2 years).

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

Homan mentioned the "short roll" role for Jalen that I had previously talked about and how Jalen would do really well there (Homan says Jalen would "dominate out of the short roll"). I hope we see it starting Saturday!

Minutes predictions are always a WAG for me but this year is going to be extra special WAG-gy.

Jalen Johnson 30
    Wendell Moore 30
    Jordan Goldwire 20
    Matthew Hurt 28
    Jeremy Roach 25
    DJ Steward 25
    Joey Baker 10
    Henry Coleman 10
    Patrick Tape 10
    Mark Williams 10
    Jaemyn Brakefield 2

I think the top 6 are going to play a bunch with the bottom 5 filling in the 7th and 8th spots in the rotation in an as needed basis. I am probably way low on JGold but I think Roach and Steward are going to be tough to keep on the bench. Probably low on Tape as well since I can't imagine Duke's first grad transfer playing so few minutes.

Read em and weep (for me):

Johnson: 29
    Moore: 29
    Hurt: 29
    Goldwire: 20
    Steward: 20
    Baker: 20
    Brakefield: 1
    other: 1

I'm doubting that much of a season happens. I'm sure to be wrong about the minutes, and hope I'm wrong about the season.

My picks

Johnson: 33
    Moore: 31
    Roach: 31
    Goldwire: 29
    Hurt: 22
    Steward: 17
    Coleman: 16
    Baker: 8
    Williams: 7
    Tape: 3
    Brakefield: 2
    Others: 1

As in most years, I can't see K giving more than 7 players 10 min/game. Every year, we appear deep, and every year, the bench is short.