Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for the link - I can't believe that they didn't give me a heads-up that I'd be making an appearance! 😀

(In the Dockery clip...)

When they introduced the players one by one, they should have shown at least a few seconds of them, you know, actually playing basketball. That would have been nice.

Kind of a swing and a miss.
    I did laugh at JJ having no comment on K's tiktok favs.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Kind of a swing and a miss.
    I did laugh at JJ having no comment on K's tiktok favs.
    I agree with alvroadstr (underwhelming) and weezie. I admit I'm an older guy, but for me the cartoon parts were the real entertainment (and should have been secondary). I expected something more professional.

I think this team does have good charisma and seem to like each other. Go DUKE!

If it were a dance team instead of a basketball team then it would have been pretty good.

It was nice to see the players having fun and to get a sense of who they are. As others have noted, a little basketball would have been nice. I am far removed from my student days but I think the dancing is a bit of a tradition, but it is different when it is coming before a basketball game rather than just in isolation. I'm really surprised that they couldn't get Zion and/or RJ (or Cam or Tatum or Kyrie) for the final brotherhood segment - it would have been a lot more impactful with them, particularly to what I think is the target audience.

I don't mean to be Mr. No Fun. And I'm not saying they shouldn't have done this, as it is nice to have fun diversions like this at a difficult time and projects like this help with recruiting and to sell merchandise. But it does strike me as somewhat bad optics to have the basketball players gallivanting around town for photo shoots and showing off their posh Wash Duke rooms while the rest of the student body just finished doing a tremendous job of living monk-like existences all semester.

Scrimmage recap:

https://goduke.com/news/2020/11/20/m...scrimmage.aspx

Wendell Moore was leading scorer with 37 points. Goldwire scored 26 and Hurt 22.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Scrimmage recap:

Wendell Moore was leading scorer with 37 points. Goldwire scored 26 and Hurt 22.
    Interesting that in the recap description - Moore and Hurt were reset to Freshman. Wow Duke is young!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    It was nice to see the players having fun and to get a sense of who they are. As others have noted, a little basketball would have been nice. I am far removed from my student days but I think the dancing is a bit of a tradition, but it is different when it is coming before a basketball game rather than just in isolation. I'm really surprised that they couldn't get Zion and/or RJ (or Cam or Tatum or Kyrie) for the final brotherhood segment - it would have been a lot more impactful with them, particularly to what I think is the target audience.

I don't mean to be Mr. No Fun. And I'm not saying they shouldn't have done this, as it is nice to have fun diversions like this at a difficult time and projects like this help with recruiting and to sell merchandise. But it does strike me as somewhat bad optics to have the basketball players gallivanting around town for photo shoots and showing off their posh Wash Duke rooms while the rest of the student body just finished doing a tremendous job of living monk-like existences all semester.
    Not quite monk-like for all - some were living in some pretty nice apartments in Downtown Durham - but yes the optics are not great.

Keeping in mind that the video was targeted at the students, 18-22 year-olds who live on TikTok, I think it was fun. The Comic Book poster is really cool. I thought the players doing the play-by-play and color for vintage Duke hoops clips was pretty funny. The music video sequence to the Drake song where sequences were punctuated with "Baby" is a viral video trend going around the country. How do I know this? I watched it with my 15 year old son who translated everything for me. As for the optics, this video was supposed to be a fun diversion from the drudgery of the COVID life. Hopefully the real diversion, in the form of actual games, will actually happen starting Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Scrimmage recap:

Disappointed there was no video in the link, but it was a nice write up. LGD GTHcGTH! 9F!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Keeping in mind that the video was targeted at the students, 18-22 year-olds who live on TikTok, I think it was fun. The Comic Book poster is really cool. I thought the players doing the play-by-play and color for vintage Duke hoops clips was pretty funny. The music video sequence to the Drake song where sequences were punctuated with "Baby" is a viral video trend going around the country. How do I know this? I watched it with my 15 year old son who translated everything for me. As for the optics, this video was supposed to be a fun diversion from the drudgery of the COVID life. Hopefully the real diversion, in the form of actual games, will actually happen starting Wednesday.
    Yeah, I didn't mind the Tik Tok stuff - I know I'm not the targeted audience for that. Will say though, as someone who was in that target demographic (18-22) when DBP first launched, they definitely succeeded in making me feel old with this -lol.

The play by play stuff was awesome. You really got a feel for the personalities - this team actually does have a decent number of guys who seem to be "talkers" which I think bodes well if several of them stick around for a while.

The poster is indeed cool - they did a great job on it. I was surprised they were able to get away with certain hero names that were a bit on-the-nose... Iceman? I am also somewhat surprised that they couldn't figure out a way to get a photo shoot done, given that these guys are kinda living in their own bubble anyway. Maybe I don't understand the added risk. Even though the poster turned out great, I just feel for this team a bit since their faces won't show up on a Duke poster. Just another thing taken away from them, thanks to this pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Disappointed there was no video in the link, but it was a nice write up. LGD GTHcGTH! 9F!
    Here ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NEPn8RQK3k

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    a marketing person who probably doesn't know what "uncut" actually means, and by extension that it doesn't apply to their videos. I would also be unsurprised if said marketing person had never seen or handled film anything.
    As Lionel Hutz would say, “This is the clearest case of false advertising since my lawsuit against the movie ‘The Never-ending Story.’”

Exceedingly lame. Would have liked to see some actual basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I wonder if we'll find out how Cameron will look this season. I've read that the seats won't be tarped and that there won't be cardboard cutouts but that there will be something else. Would they follow the NBA lead and surround the court with huge LED screens? That sounds expensive. Is there some other option? 3D projections?

Update: Just after I posted this, I found out that they're actually doing some modified version of tarping but not calling it that.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CH1K9yuJVKg/

It's tarps...AND cardboard cutouts
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    As Lionel Hutz would say, “This is the clearest case of false advertising since my lawsuit against the movie ‘The Never-ending Story.’”
    Which brings up the question, has Lionel Hutz ever sued Dr. Nick Riviera?