Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NBA Draft

MJ likes drafting Duke guys

Seth Curry is being traded to Philadelphia where he will now be coached by his father-in-law.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    No Duke players in the first round. First time since 2008? Hoping Tre, Cassius, and Vernon find good spots.
    2010. National championship year. Too bad we didn't get to see how 2020 season ended. (Of course that 2010 team had players drafted in the first round the next year...).

Carey to Charlotte? Sorry, but don't like that...

Pretty surprised that Tre and Cassius are still floating around... for very different reasons. Hope they land in a good spot and take advantage of their opportunity!

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    So what’s the knock on Vernon? He was a top 5 pick before the season then had a great season and misses the first round.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think he was ever a top 5 NBA pick. He WAS ranked in the top 5 out of high school, but that's not the same thing. It's always been known that his game was more suited to college than the NBA. To some extent the same was true of Matthew Hurt, who was ranked in the top 15 but not a projected first rounder.
    Yeah, I recall Vernon being projected around 20 or so in mock drafts when he was a HS Sr. Definitely not top 5 despite his HS rank.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Seth Curry is being traded to Philadelphia where he will now be coached by his father-in-law.
    I was thinking the Warriors might get him w Klay getting hurt

Vernon Carey similar to Carlos Boozer -- good college big man who slid to early 2nd round

I think Vernon has plenty of motivation and ability to have a good NBA career also

Tre to the Spurs!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Vernon Carey similar to Carlos Boozer -- good college big man who slid to early 2nd round

I think Vernon has plenty of motivation and ability to have a good NBA career also
    Carey plays a position that doesn’t really exist in the NBA anymore.

If Cassius was 19 instead of 21, he would have been a easy first rounder...IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Carey plays a position that doesn’t really exist in the NBA anymore.

Just a weird draft class for us. Tre, Vernon and Cassius did about as much as they possibly could in college in terms of showcasing their individual skills, yet they all hit a ceiling in how valuable they could be to the NBA.

Cassius to Indiana...54th pick.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    As it is, Cassius Stanley was the third Duke player (and second Cassius) to get drafted, at #54 to the Indiana Pacers.

Not to place any high expectations, but the Pacers have drafted a 21-year-old shooting guard who played high school ball in Southern California before. It turned out okay.

Is there going to be something similar to the summer league this year ?

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Is there going to be something similar to the summer league this year ?
    Nope, Free Agency starts this weekend and then players who are signed are supposed to head to their team markets at the end of the month. After quarantining and test, there is only time for a few preseason games.

Glad to see that Cassius had the people other than he and his parents wearing masks. A few other prospects did that, but there were plenty of cases where it was pretty obvious that there were people from multiple households mingling in one place.

If we're being brutally honest, its been a horrible draft for Duke players.

Vernon Carey was supposed to be a lottery pick but I guess he failed to showcase an outside game which led to him plummeting into the 2nd round. Sometimes I just don't understand the NBA and its obsession with 3 point shooting big men.

Tre and Cassius also failed to get picked in the first round but at least Tre ends up in an excellent organisation with the Spurs.

Cassius I feel did well to land with an NBA team as he was not really on anybody's radar before he came to Duke. Nobody expected him to be a one and done.

If the teams that selected Tre and Vernon actually spend time developing and allowing them to play, I think they will have two steals in this draft. Vernon especially can be a 20 and 10 guy in the right set up.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    [/B]

I bet MJ does not heed this advice.
    Why are you so sure Ball isn’t going to be a good NBA player? I hope it’s not about his father. Lots of good NBA players have had fathers with, umm, “issues”.

Other than his shooting form, the kid has a lot of positives about his game. He has great size for a PG. His handle, court vision, and passing ability are all excellent. He rebounds quite well. And he’s young and has a ton of upside. If he improves his shot selection and develops a decent jumpshot, particularly from 3, he will be a perennial All-Star.

I don't think any of them should have been first rounders. If I "had" to pick any of the 3 in the first round, it would have been Cassius. I think another year or two at Duke would have resulted in his draft stock going way higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Why are you so sure Ball isn’t going to be a good NBA player? I hope it’s not about his father. Lots of good NBA players have had fathers with, umm, “issues”.

Other than his shooting form, the kid has a lot of positives about his game. He has great size for a PG. His handle, court vision, and passing ability are all excellent. He rebounds quite well. And he’s young and has a ton of upside. If he improves his shot selection and develops a decent jumpshot, particularly from 3, he will be a perennial All-Star.
    Sure. There’s a reason he was picked and his size, passing ability, and maneuverability in the lane look good. His shooting form, like his brother’s, is weird. From what I’ve seen/read, he has both a will and form issue on defense.

The biggest thing is that he’s way more of a question mark than the consensus narrative, IMO. He’s had every situation essentially tailored to showcase him since Chino Hills. The Spire Academy, the Ball league, the stopovers in Lithuania and Australia. Who the heck has actually coached this kid in how to be a pro, part of a team, commitment to his craft.

I think if he gets in the right situation with the right coach and gets the 3+ years to mature out of the limelight and he is able to emotionally mature then he could be a good pro. Perennial all-star? I personally don’t think so. They said the same about Lonzo and plenty of other next big things but that’s a hard mountain to climb.

Also, there’s this: MJ is a bad owner who has whiffed on lots of picks. Therefore, my gut tells me Ball is in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Just a weird draft class for us. Tre, Vernon and Cassius did about as much as they possibly could in college in terms of showcasing their individual skills, yet they all hit a ceiling in how valuable they could be to the NBA.
    Seems possible that Matthew Hurt and Wendell Moore could end up with a higher draft position. Of course, that would mean excellent performance by them in the 2020-21 season, which is fine by me.

Yeah it's quite interesting that Coach K basically said Cassius had to go because of his age. I agree that his age caused him to drop in this draft certainly. But if he had a breakout great year his sophomore year he likely could have helped his draft status. There are seniors who do get picked high or at least first round in the draft. Of course hindsight and all that... Cassius may have been able to improve his stock more in a normal year this year if there were combines and the like too. I guess GMs don't care as much about a 44" vert coming from a 21-year old.