Thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    ACC Champions.

Great late season run.

Thanks, guys!
    I second that.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

For those of you who don't read the front page.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...ville-regional

Winning an ACC title is still a great end to the season.

After scoring 0 runs against y'all in the championship game, State blasted their regional opponents scoring 30 total runs. Needless to say, we are on to the super regional. What I wouldn't give for those lively bats earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Winning an ACC title is still a great end to the season.

After scoring 0 runs against y'all in the championship game, State blasted their regional opponents scoring 30 total runs. Needless to say, we are on to the super regional. What I wouldn't give for those lively bats earlier.
    Would you trade the ACC title for advancing in the tournament? Serious question - seems about a fair trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Would you trade the ACC title for advancing in the tournament? Serious question - seems about a fair trade.
    Given that Started hadn't won an ACC title in football, basketball or baseball since 1989 or something crazy like that.. HECK YES, I'd make that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Given that Started hadn't won an ACC title in football, basketball or baseball since 1989 or something crazy like that.. HECK YES, I'd make that trade.
    Well I think depends on far State is going to go now personally... Can't get to Omaha and win a championship without getting to super regional first. With our Duke basketball glasses of the NCAA tournament being everything basically, I think most would trade an ACC championship for a deep run in basketball (i.e. Final Four) but perhaps the calculus is different for baseball or other teams' fanbases.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    In Duke's case, no. Maybe down the road if we make a habit of winning the conference, but that victory was historic.
    It's fun how both baseball and softball brought home those trophies for their first times.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Congratulations PackMan97! I'll be pulling for the Pack in the Super Regional and hopefully beyond. Best of luck.
    Last edited by chrishoke; 06-07-2021 at 09:58 AM.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Congratulations PackMan97! I'll be pulling for the Pack in the Super Regional and hopefully beyond. Best of luck.
    Agree! My son goes there so there's a lot of red in my house I couldn't really rib him about the ACC championship since he doesn't care about baseball, he's a soccer guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    15-4 is your final. Wait till next year.
    MLB Draft is scheduled for July 11-13. Impact on Duke?

Haven't seen any Duke players mentioned as first round prospects, though I expect some will be called over the course of 20 rounds. Any information as to whether any 2021 Duke Baseball recruits are prospects for a high draft choice?

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Agree! My son goes there so there's a lot of red in my house I couldn't really rib him about the ACC championship since he doesn't care about baseball, he's a soccer guy.
    In the "for what it's worth" department, State's baseball record is surpassingly strange: At home -- 13-12. On the road -- 15-3. The Pack mopped up the opposition in ACC road games. Wow!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

MLB Draft is scheduled for July 11-13. Impact on Duke?

Haven't seen any Duke players mentioned as first round prospects, though I expect some will be called over the course of 20 rounds. Any information as to whether any 2021 Duke Baseball recruits are prospects for a high draft choice?
    You don't have to be a first-rounder to leave after your junior year. Far from it. Losing Stinson is a foregone conclusion and I would expect to lose several other juniors to the draft.

Duke is going to have lots of quality arms next season but Pollard is going to have to rebuild the lineup. Look for lots of grad-student transfers.

You don't have to be a first-rounder to leave after your junior year. Far from it. Losing Stinson is a foregone conclusion and I would expect to lose several other juniors to the draft.

Duke is going to have lots of quality arms next season but Pollard is going to have to rebuild the lineup. Look for lots of grad-student transfers.
    I know you don't have to be a first-rounder to leave after your junior year and said that I expect some players to be taken.

I know you don't have to be a first-rounder to leave after your junior year and said that I expect some players to be taken.
    Correct. But the way you framed the question seemed to be a bit ambiguous.

The key is the number of juniors who get drafted and where; these guys have the leverage to come back and thus the leverage to potentially talk themselves into an above-slot salary.

Players who have used up their eligibility don't have that leverage.

The other variable is high-school draftees. Duke has taken some big hits in recent years, some sort of expected and some just out of the blue. But Duke potentially could have to replace its starting 1B, SS, 3B, LF, CF, RF, C and two weekend starters and I don't see how they do that without plundering the Ivies for some really-good grad-student options.

The high-school player to keep an eye on is Alex Mooney, from Minnesota. He was Duke's top signee and he's a real stud. He could end up at first base, shortstop or outfield. But some projections have him going as high as the second round and it might be difficult for Duke to keep him if that holds up.

To go back to Roy's original point, draft position doesn't matter if a player has used up his eligibility. Unless they are drafted so low they just decide to forget baseball and move on the next chapter.

But it does matter for juniors and it does matter for high-school players.

Duke lost two signees last year. Jordan Walker was picked 21st and Duke expected to lose him. But Texas drafted Evan Carter in the second round and that stunned not only Duke but every draft expert on the planet.

So, you just never know.

Which is one of things that gives college coaches heartburn and sleepless nights.

The high-school player to keep an eye on is Alex Mooney, from Minnesota. He was Duke's top signee and he's a real stud. He could end up at first base, shortstop or outfield. But some projections have him going as high as the second round and it might be difficult for Duke to keep him if that holds up.

To go back to Roy's original point, draft position doesn't matter if a player has used up his eligibility. Unless they are drafted so low they just decide to forget baseball and move on the next chapter.

But it does matter for juniors and it does matter for high-school players.

Duke lost two signees last year. Jordan Walker was picked 21st and Duke expected to lose him. But Texas drafted Evan Carter in the second round and that stunned not only Duke but every draft expert on the planet.

So, you just never know.

Which is one of things that gives college coaches heartburn and sleepless nights.
    Jordan Walker is the Cardinal's 6th rated prospect and his eta for the majors is 2024. His scout ratings are: Hit=45, Run= 45, Field= 45, Power= 60, Arm= 55, with an overall rating of 50. He was rated the top corner infield prospect in the high school class. The Cardinals signed Jordan for 2.9 million. He's expected to stay at the 3B position and if he can't stay there, he will fit in nicely in RF. Like you said it was not a surprise Duke lost him to the major league draft.

GoDuke!

Three ACC teams in the Super Regionals?

Virginia advances on a tenth-inning walk-off home run, joining Notre Dame and NC State in the Super Regionals:

State at Arkansas -- Fri. 6PM

Dallas Baptist vs. UVa in Columbia -- Sat. 12 PM

Notre Dame as Mississippi State -- Sat. 2 PM

All games on ESPN-U.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Virginia advances on a tenth-inning walk-off home run, joining Notre Dame and NC State in the Super Regionals:

State at Arkansas -- Fri. 6PM

Dallas Baptist vs. UVa in Columbia -- Sat. 12 PM

Notre Dame as Mississippi State -- Sat. 2 PM

All games on ESPN-U.
    Local team of interest ECU also in the sweet 16.

Next Game:
    at Vanderbilt

6/11/2021 | 12:00 P.M.

ESPN2
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Jordan Walker is the Cardinal's 6th rated prospect and his eta for the majors is 2024. His scout ratings are: Hit=45, Run= 45, Field= 45, Power= 60, Arm= 55, with an overall rating of 50. He was rated the top corner infield prospect in the high school class. The Cardinals signed Jordan for 2.9 million. He's expected to stay at the 3B position and if he can't stay there, he will fit in nicely in RF. Like you said it was not a surprise Duke lost him to the major league draft.

GoDuke!
    The previous year Duke lost Sammy Siani, an outfielder picked by Pittsburgh with the 37th pick. He had been a Duke commit for a long time and this one stung. There have been other guys.

It's the price of playing with the big boys. You have to sign guys could enough to compete at the highest levels but not so good that they never show up on campus.

And no, Pollard's predecessors did not often have this problem.