Page 35 of 74 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    There are a number of counter-arguments to this. Is it fair for a semifinal game to match a team playing its third game against a team playing its second game? Is a game between rivals like Miami and Florida State or UNC and NC State ever really meaningless?

But most importantly, many of these teams need a win to burnish their NCAA credentials. It might be to get off the bubble and into the tournament or move from a three seed to a two seed or a two seed to a one seed. But the RPI doesn't consider these games to be meaningless exhibition games and the NCAA Selection Committee certainly doesn't.
    You sucked me back in...

Everything you mentioned above would still be true if the game between the two lower seeds in each pool was last rather than first. While I'd still dislike the format, at least every game would potentially be meaningful (to at least one of the two teams) with respect to the tournament championship at the time that it took place, except when the top team had already defeated both other teams in its pool.

There are a number of counter-arguments to this. Is it fair for a semifinal game to match a team playing its third game against a team playing its second game? Is a game between rivals like Miami and Florida State or UNC and NC State ever really meaningless?

But most importantly, many of these teams need a win to burnish their NCAA credentials. It might be to get off the bubble and into the tournament or move from a three seed to a two seed or a two seed to a one seed. But the RPI doesn't consider these games to be meaningless exhibition games and the NCAA Selection Committee certainly doesn't.
    When the NCAA Tourney is next week and its at a neutral site and the game doesn't mean anything for tourney hopes, yes I do think those teams will treat the ostensible rivalry games as meaningless. Also remember that whether you get those meaningless games, where you might face weaker opponents' lineups that will boost your RPIs nevertheless, depends upon a fluke of scheduling, whether you play your first two games before the third team or not for example.

And if you had a double elimination pool play, you'd have more games anyhow to boost your RPI, even if every team would have to try hard in each of them. So that's not really helping.

Whatever, Duke is through, no need to worry about it now.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

So how are college baseball pitchers typically managed for fatigue?

Would J Carey be available for Sunday?
    Are we assuming Stinson will pitch Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Somebody over in Orange County mislabeled the pool of teams as class of teams, so they didn’t show up.
    Post of the week! Zpork worthy, but alas, I can’t. Someone please cover for me! LGD GTHcGTH!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    So how are college baseball pitchers typically managed for fatigue?

Would J Carey be available for Sunday?
    Are we assuming Stinson will pitch Saturday?
    Stinson is up on the rotation, last pitching on the 21st, but he seems to be having control issues and his ERA is now 5.87 over 53 innings.
    Occasional starter Luke Fox is also available, having last pitched on the 22nd against Clemson. He has Duke's lowest ERA at 2.80 over 45 innings total.
    Marcus Johnson seems to be our most reliable reliever having pitched three scoreless innings against Miami and 1 against FSU. He'll be available for long relief.
    Jimmy Loper also pitched four scoreless innings against FSU. I think they'll need to go with the hottest pitchers from here on out.

Virginia has taken the early 5-0 lead in the 2nd against ND in the contest to see who plays Duke tomorrow. Three home runs.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quite a barage of homers by Virginia! If they go on and win, this will get it out of their system for the next game.

Given the huge number of posts on this thread, I'm not sure what to conclude...but are folks feeling that Duke is pretty much into the NCAAs at this point? Or are more wins required?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Given the huge number of posts on this thread, I'm not sure what to conclude...but are folks feeling that Duke is pretty much into the NCAAs at this point? Or are more wins required?
    Duke is in. A win this weekend likely moves Duke from a three seed to a two seed. They may already be at a two seed.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    On the hottest winning streak in the country, including two conference sweeps and back to back wins over ranked teams to reach the semis of the ACC tourney, with a top 25 RPI, Duke is in.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    On the hottest winning streak in the country, including two conference sweeps and back to back wins over ranked teams to reach the semis of the ACC tourney, with a top 25 RPI, Duke is in.
    great, that's what I figured, but the NCAA can be inscrutable at times...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    great, that's what I figured, but the NCAA can be inscrutable at times...
    What Duke has done after the exam break is a minor miracle. The last thought on my mind at that time was the NCAAs, much less even being in the ACC tourney. They've become a totally different team. Whatever Pollard spiked their drinks with when they came back, I hope he has more of it stashed away.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    What Duke has done after the exam break is a minor miracle. The last thought on my mind at that time was the NCAAs, much less even being in the ACC tourney. They've become a totally different team. Whatever Pollard spiked their drinks with when they came back, I hope he has more of it stashed away.
    He made them bus back to Durham from Louisville. You would be motivated to hit HRs and pitch perfect games too. I've driven much of it many times.

Duke is in. A win this weekend likely moves Duke from a three seed to a two seed. They may already be at a two seed.
    While there's no guarantee, the better resume also gives us a greater chance of staying closer to home. UVA, NCSU, and Duke would all love to be placed in the Carolinas for the first two rounds. The SEC spots are a little less desirable.

Brackets at noon on Monday.

Virginia now 9-0 in the 5th.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Virginia now 9-0 in the 5th.
    Setting up an interesting final 4. Two high seeds and two from the middle of the pack. (2, 3, 8, 9)

UVA is decimating ND. Now 10-0 in the 9th.

Piling it on. 14-0

Assuming that ND does not score 14 runs in their last at bats, that's a pretty impressive dismantling of the #1 seed. I bet our guys have been paying attention. Hopefully UVA wore their arms out today hitting all those runs.

we're lucky we're not playing a hedge fund, those guys can carry forward runs to the next game I'm pretty sure.

we're lucky we're not playing a hedge fund, those guys can carry forward runs to the next game I'm pretty sure.
    If that were the case, Duke could carry forward a few runs from the FSU game. It will be an interesting game. Two hot teams!