Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Not sure if everyone is aware of the success Coastal Carolina baseball has had?

Just since 2000, the Chanticleers have 16 NCAA Tournament appearances, including 3 Regional championships, and the 2016 NCAA College World Series championship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coasta...leers_baseball

A series win at their place is a nice achievement

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Just since 2000, the Chanticleers have 16 NCAA Tournament appearances, including 3 Regional championships, and the 2016 NCAA College World Series championship

I thought they had a high quality baseball program but didn't realize it was this good. Thanks, roywhite!!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Saturday's game was the first opener that they've lost at home in their new stadium, which from the TV looked very nice. (So they are now 6-1) I'm guessing that the weekend made it their first opening series loss, too.
    They are a great program and this was a great win for Duke. Next up is ECU on Tuesday in Greenville, which is another team with solid history. Weather is looking nice for that one.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

All in all, CCU is probably a 2 seed, possibly a low 1/host, by May. Winning a road series really helps, particularly with 6-8 teams near us that have preseason aspirations to host. The NCAA isn't going to concentrate that many teams together--think rain and Monday doubleheaders.

From what I can tell on radio, we have some pitching issues outside Cooper Stinson to figure out. While I am frustrated with how we lost the 2nd game, I can understand why he gambled and lost trying to squeeze a 1/2 inning out of Marcus Johnson. I probably would have used one of the Game 3 relievers to save the W.

Bats seem to be good, but I've heard CCU's stadium is a bit of a launching pad.

I hope CCU returns the favor next year with a series in Durham. Hoping we get quality win #3 from one of those 6-8 teams on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    All in all, CCU is probably a 2 seed, possibly a low 1/host, by May. Winning a road series really helps, particularly with 6-8 teams near us that have preseason aspirations to host. The NCAA isn't going to concentrate that many teams together--think rain and Monday doubleheaders.

From what I can tell on radio, we have some pitching issues outside Cooper Stinson to figure out. While I am frustrated with how we lost the 2nd game, I can understand why he gambled and lost trying to squeeze a 1/2 inning out of Marcus Johnson. I probably would have used one of the Game 3 relievers to save the W.

Bats seem to be good, but I've heard CCU's stadium is a bit of a launching pad.

I hope CCU returns the favor next year with a series in Durham. Hoping we get quality win #3 from one of those 6-8 teams on Tuesday.
    Ehhhh let's not get carried away. In the poll cited by Duke itself (I can't seem to figure out which poll that is), Duke was 17 and Coastal was 23 coming in to today, and just looking at the 5 polls on the NCAA website, both Duke and Coastal were only ranked by two of the polls. They're historically a very good program, and we will not DROP in any polls for taking a series on the road against them.

But they're not a likely regionals host this year.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke moves up to 11 in the rankings while their next opponent (ECU) is at 24.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rank...seball-top-25/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Good News

While Duke's move to number 11 is great news, the truth is that if we could have held a 7-3 lead in the ninth inning of game two, we would have swept CCU. Many of their pitchers are new this year (twelve new recruits/transfers) so there is no knowledge about how good they are or will be. This Duke team has a chance to be really good! Go Duke! GTHC!

Quote Originally Posted by revmel53 View Post
    While Duke's move to number 11 is great news, the truth is that if we could have held a 7-3 lead in the ninth inning of game two, we would have swept CCU. Many of their pitchers are new this year (twelve new recruits/transfers) so there is no knowledge about how good they are or will be. This Duke team has a chance to be really good! Go Duke! GTHC!
    Let’s hope that the relief pitchers get better with some coaching and game experience as
    the season moves on. Sunday was brutal to listen to in the late innings. LGD GTHcGTH!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Radio broadcast link:

https://tunein.com/radio/Duke-Baseball-s308233/

ECU up 1-0.
    Bob Green

2-1 ECU, bottom 5. Nifong’s given up two runs and been whiffing no one through four but he’s being very efficient and not walking guys, which is what you want for your midweek guy. Need the offense to pick up

Dockman comes in and gets 2 easy fly outs to end the 5th w/ a runner on 2nd.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Dockman comes in and gets 2 easy fly outs to end the 5th w/ a runner on 2nd.
    Was dockman not available for some reason this weekend? Cuz I thought- control issues aside - he was one of our better relievers last year and I didn’t see him

Well dockman loads the bases in the sixth with to outs sooooo sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Was dockman not available for some reason this weekend? Cuz I thought- control issues aside - he was one of our better relievers last year and I didn’t see him
    Don't know. But Dockman gave up 2 two-out singles and a walk but then struck out the HR hitter from earlier in the game.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

ECU plates 4 in the 7th. 6-1.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

ECU plates 4 in the 7th. 6-1.
    Ouch

Today’s ACC Opener against Boston College at 3 pm will be broadcast on ACCN.
    Bob Green

2-2 with BC in the 4th.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Chad Knight puts one in orbit over the left field fence for a 2 run homer - Duke up 4-2 in the 4th. Stinson on the mound for the Devils.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Chad Knight puts one in orbit over the left field fence for a 2 run homer
    Knight hit that home run immediately after the broadcast showed a flashback to him hitting a home run in the LLWS.
    Bob Green