Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    I saw Tommy Emmanuel in person in a small theatre here in Atlanta which was absolutely incredible. As far as large arena concerts, my all time favorite was Kiss. AC/DC came through Atlanta about 15 years ago and one of my biggest regrets was not going to seem them live.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I saw Tommy Emmanuel in person in a small theatre here in Atlanta which was absolutely incredible.
    I had tickets to see him at the Carolina Theater, but after I had bought the tickets, my son's choir scheduled a performance for the same night and I had to sell. I have no idea when or even if he might be back "in range".

Rush. As Dave Grohl said, they have the most loyal following in rock after the Grateful Dead. Geddy Lee described themselves as the world's biggest cult band. The atmosphere at a Rush concert compared to other arena shows was like comparing Cameron to other basketball stadiums. Plus, I've never seen another drummer come close to what Neil Peart would do for 3 hours. I've only seen Victor Wooten rival Geddy's bass freak show, and Geddy sometimes played bass, keyboards, and sang at the same time.

Paul Simon. The Rhythm of the Saints tour. Amazing collection of African and South American musicians along with the likes of Michael Brecker and Steve Gadd.

Jason Isbell, front row seats. His wife, Amanda Shires, opened, with Jason in her backing band. Close enough that we could read the set list on a piece of paper on the ground for Jason before the show started.

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, with Jerry Douglas and Buddy Miller among the band. Their album was great, and the concert was better, adding more edge and a little more rock to the songs. The pairing of the kooky but demure Krauss with Plant, who seemed barely to restrain himself from twirling the mic stand around at any moment, was terrific. They played 4 or 5 Zep covers, and when Plant wanted to sing in his old style and hit the big notes, he still had the full pipes to nail it.

Buddy Guy, several clubs. Buddy would walk through the crowd during solos and could make his guitar to sound like Hendrix, BB, Clapton, whoever he wanted.

Jason & the Scorchers. Cult but influential punkabilly band. Wild energy from singer Jason Ringenberg and guitarist Warner Hodges.

David Byrne, Broadway. Someone else mentioned this one. For a Talking Heads fan who never got to see the Talking Heads, very entertaining.

Victor Wooten, Dennis Chambers, and Bob Franceschini, small venue. Wooten is a freak show. Got to meet him and Chambers.

Steve Earle, small venue, 30th anniversary concert of Copperhead Road.

Itzhak Perlman playing Vivaldi's The Four Seasons.

BB King. Natural showman. Broke a string on Lucille, turned around and changed it while the band jammed on and then joined back right on time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    If classical concerts count, I'm somewhere in the hundreds. I've seen an average of about 10 classical performances per year for the last 40 years, with the exception of this year. For more popular acts, my tally is much, much more limited. Maybe 30? I won't even try to post a comprehensive list.

I went to my first stadium rock concert when I was in high school. My parents took the family to the top of Queen Anne back in the late '70s for some reason, and while we were admiring the view, we could hear a rock concert playing in the Seattle Center Arena. My brother became obsessed with going to that show, so the next night, we found some tickets and went to see Heart from upper level seats. I lived a pretty sheltered life and remember being vaguely amused as we watched the arena fill from the top down with pot smoke. I remember seeing someone carted out on a stretcher - presumably from drinking/drug use - from the floor before the opening band even started. It was memorable.

My taste runs the gamut of styles, from Peter, Paul, and Mary, to The Eagles, to Rush (bucket list to see Neil Peart live), to Maynard Ferguson. I tend to prefer small venue acts these days, and too late I learned that I should always, always bring earplugs to an amplified show. It was Peter, Paul, and Mary that really drove that home, oddly enough.
    I saw Joshua Bell at the St. Louis Symphony when he was still a teenager. What really stuck with me was the fact that after the intermission (he had played a concerto just before intermission), he took a seat with the second violins for the rest of the program.

I had tickets to see him at the Carolina Theater, but after I had bought the tickets, my son's choir scheduled a performance for the same night and I had to sell. I have no idea when or even if he might be back "in range".
    I've seen Tommy Emmanuel twice at the Carolina Theater. Both were amazing experiences and if he comes back, Ill be there again.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Rush. As Dave Grohl said, they have the most loyal following in rock after the Grateful Dead. Geddy Lee described themselves as the world's biggest cult band. The atmosphere at a Rush concert compared to other arena shows was like comparing Cameron to other basketball stadiums. Plus, I've never seen another drummer come close to what Neil Peart would do for 3 hours. I've only seen Victor Wooten rival Geddy's bass freak show, and Geddy sometimes played bass, keyboards, and sang at the same time.

Paul Simon. The Rhythm of the Saints tour. Amazing collection of African and South American musicians along with the likes of Michael Brecker and Steve Gadd.

Jason Isbell, front row seats. His wife, Amanda Shires, opened, with Jason in her backing band. Close enough that we could read the set list on a piece of paper on the ground for Jason before the show started.

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, with Jerry Douglas and Buddy Miller among the band. Their album was great, and the concert was better, adding more edge and a little more rock to the songs. The pairing of the kooky but demure Krauss with Plant, who seemed barely to restrain himself from twirling the mic stand around at any moment, was terrific. They played 4 or 5 Zep covers, and when Plant wanted to sing in his old style and hit the big notes, he still had the full pipes to nail it.

Buddy Guy, several clubs. Buddy would walk through the crowd during solos and could make his guitar to sound like Hendrix, BB, Clapton, whoever he wanted.

Jason & the Scorchers. Cult but influential punkabilly band. Wild energy from singer Jason Ringenberg and guitarist Warner Hodges.

David Byrne, Broadway. Someone else mentioned this one. For a Talking Heads fan who never got to see the Talking Heads, very entertaining.

Victor Wooten, Dennis Chambers, and Bob Franceschini, small venue. Wooten is a freak show. Got to meet him and Chambers.

BB King. Natural showman. Broke a string on Lucille, turned around and changed it while the band jammed on and then joined back right on time.

Saw the Allison Krause / Robert Plant show in raleigh, those 2 individuals together seemed a little weird to me ...I really like Buddy Miller.

Here's one for the ages (and can't believe I almost forgot about this): Elvis Presley, Greensboro 74-75?? I was all of 12 years old; my mother was the fan (surprise, surprise) and she ended up with some extra tickets after complaining to the Greensboro Colloseum box-office, ... have to say I was probably too young to understand the "legend" of it all ... but impressed me enough to get into his early recordings and of a slightly latter era, the Beatles.

And oh yes, Paul McCartney - Carter Findley 94-95?? ... was the tour where he decided to start playing some Beatle stuff !!

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I saw Joshua Bell at the St. Louis Symphony when he was still a teenager. What really stuck with me was the fact that after the intermission (he had played a concerto just before intermission), he took a seat with the second violins for the rest of the program.
    I saw the same guy at the same venue, but likely a few years later (right around 1990). He was still very young then, but he didn't sit in with the seconds when my wife and I saw him, sadly.

Other notable classical soloists I've had the pleasure to hear live:
    Itzhak Perlman
    Isaac Stern
    Nadia Solerno-Sonnenberg
    Hillary Hahn
    Sarah Chang
    Alicia De Larrocha
    Vladimir Ashkenazy (also as conductor)
    Murray Perriah
    Wynton Marsalis
    Gerard Schwartz (also as conductor)
    Rolf Smedvig
    Jon Kimura Parker
    Yo-Yo Ma
    Emmanuel Ax

I actually got to have dinner with Emmanuel Ax, thanks to Duke connections. Amazing man. Humble, personable, witty, and absolutely disciplined in the service of his craft. I'm lucky to have had the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post

I saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones twice, which was awesome, but my claim to fame was that I saw Victor Wooten trying out the basses at a little music store in Nashville at the same time I was there to buy some new strings for my bass. So I got to hear him playing around on several basses he pulled off the wall. The guy is AMAZING.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

If classical concerts count, I'm somewhere in the hundreds. I've seen an average of about 10 classical performances per year for the last 40 years, with the exception of this year. For more popular acts, my tally is much, much more limited. Maybe 30? I won't even try to post a comprehensive list.

I went to my first stadium rock concert when I was in high school. My parents took the family to the top of Queen Anne back in the late '70s for some reason, and while we were admiring the view, we could hear a rock concert playing in the Seattle Center Arena. My brother became obsessed with going to that show, so the next night, we found some tickets and went to see Heart from upper level seats. I lived a pretty sheltered life and remember being vaguely amused as we watched the arena fill from the top down with pot smoke. I remember seeing someone carted out on a stretcher - presumably from drinking/drug use - from the floor before the opening band even started. It was memorable.

My taste runs the gamut of styles, from Peter, Paul, and Mary, to The Eagles, to Rush (bucket list to see Neil Peart live), to Maynard Ferguson. I tend to prefer small venue acts these days, and too late I learned that I should always, always bring earplugs to an amplified show. It was Peter, Paul, and Mary that really drove that home, oddly enough.
    Sure, classical counts. I saw Pianist André Watts perform Brahms' Piano Concerto No. 2 in 2012. Sat close stage right so I could see his hands. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones twice, which was awesome, but my claim to fame was that I saw Victor Wooten trying out the basses at a little music store in Nashville at the same time I was there to buy some new strings for my bass. So I got to hear him playing around on several basses he pulled off the wall. The guy is AMAZING.
    Saw Bela Fleck and loved the show. Futureman is awesome!

Well, I'd have a long list of shows seen...if I could remember, but many are lost to the fog of time. So I will simply list two bands you've never heard of

Plain Folks - hard rock cover band I saw perform many times.
    Taboo - all female band doing pop covers and original tunes of the 70's. Only saw them a couple times as their main venue was a women-only nightclub.

Yes, these were Mrs. Neals bands. I was her groupie. No, my hearing is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/sketchy_j...06514341859329

Amazing really...

Sorry to interrupt the Talking Heads talk. Saw them in Birmingham (UK) 1979. I also saw David Byrne on his Rei Mono tour in Curitiba Brazil in 1990.

If you haven’t heard Rei Mono check this out ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp1J...n-6veNPSpCBylT

Furn-I thought OPK and I were the only Talking Heads Fans on the board -ture.
    umm...no....huge TH and DB fan here...have seen them/him many times
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I've seen Winton Marsalis just sit int he horns section during performances.

Joshua Bell played here a few years ago. Learned that he considered becoming a tennis professional -- and he couldn't wait to get on our golf course.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Zevon

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Kind of a little bit jealous that you got to see Warren Zevon.
    I saw Zevon with full band (perhaps Waddy Wachtel on guitar) in Raleigh, shortly after Excitable Boy (including Werewolves of London) came out. Lots of howling from us in the audience.

I saw him again solo in DC at the Bayou in the 1980s.

I saw the same guy at the same venue, but likely a few years later (right around 1990). He was still very young then, but he didn't sit in with the seconds when my wife and I saw him, sadly.

Other notable classical soloists I've had the pleasure to hear live:
    Itzhak Perlman
    Isaac Stern
    Nadia Solerno-Sonnenberg
    Hillary Hahn
    Sarah Chang
    Alicia De Larrocha
    Vladimir Ashkenazy (also as conductor)
    Murray Perriah
    Wynton Marsalis
    Gerard Schwartz (also as conductor)
    Rolf Smedvig
    Jon Kimura Parker
    Yo-Yo Ma
    Emmanuel Ax

I actually got to have dinner with Emmanuel Ax, thanks to Duke connections. Amazing man. Humble, personable, witty, and absolutely disciplined in the service of his craft. I'm lucky to have had the opportunity.
    You have very eclectic tastes. I've never heard of any of these rock bands.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I saw Zevon with full band (perhaps Waddy Wachtel on guitar) in Raleigh, shortly after Excitable Boy (including Werewolves of London) came out. Lots of howling from us in the audience.

I saw him again solo in DC at the Bayou in the 1980s.
    Dunno, but I suspect Warren played at the Bayou more than a dozen times. IIRC, I saw him play there about half a dozen times. Great vantage points upstairs.

Amazing how many great people played there. I saw Stills play incredibly well there in ‘85 or ‘86. The midnight show was great. I still recall Treetop Flyer.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    You have very eclectic tastes. I've never heard of any of these rock bands.
    Now that you mention it, "Emmanuel's Ax" would be a great name for a rock band.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Not a long list but there were some quality shows.

Eric Clapton with Poco as an opening act in Greensboro
    The Doobie Brothers in Greensboro
    The Smithereens at Cat's Cradle
    Tears for Fears in Richmond
    Toe Fungus in Seattle, Water Head was the opening act
    I was at that Clapton and Poco show.
    Others:

Beatles, Atlanta 1965
    Paul McCartney 4 times
    Guess Who
    Led Zeppelin
    Queen
    Sugar Loaf ( with the Guess Who)
    Bo Didley
    Deon
    Stones
    Beach Boys
    REM
    Spinners
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    I was at that Clapton and Poco show.
    Others:

Beatles, Atlanta 1965
    Paul McCartney 4 times
    Guess Who
    Led Zeppelin
    Queen
    Sugar Loaf ( with the Guess Who)
    Bo Didley
    Deon
    Stones
    Beach Boys
    REM
    Spinners
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Grateful Dead
    The Beach Boys played a concert at my alma mater, Northern Illinois University, in 1972, my senior year. I had really liked the Beach Boys when I was younger but viewed this as nostalgia tour. I never thought they would continue to perform for many years thereafter. The crowd went nuts during California Girls when they talked about "northern girls and the way they kissed, they keep their boyfriends warm at night". They were good but not great in1972 and, I think, steadily declined thereafter.

I've always loved Los Lobos and am willing to consider them, rather than the Eagles, as the seminal Southern California band. I heard Los Lobos, with my very astute punk rock son and his musician buddies, at etown in Boulder, a 200 seat venue. I was concerned that they would just mail the performance in in and give a lackluster performance. They were great, they rocked, a great, great concert. My son and his cynical friends agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I saw Def Leppard open for Billy Squier too at the old, old Charlotte Coliseum on Independence Blvd. Must have been 83’ or 84’ as I was still HS. It was soon after the Pyromania album came out and Photograph was hit. They blew up soon after and I saw them again headlining later the same year. I liked Billy Squier but he fell way short of his opening band that night. Other good openers - Eddie Money for 38 Special, John Cougar (no Mellincamp yet) for Heart, Loverboy for Heart, Joe Walsh for Stevie Nicks, Lenny Kravitz for Tom Petty, Shawn Mullins for John Gorka, Reckless Kelly for the Flatlanders, Iris Dement for John Prine and Keb Mo for Bonnie Raitt. I also saw John Prine and Lyle Lovett open for Bonnie at different shows but they were both well established at the time so not really in the same vein.
    By the time the Billy Squier/Def Leppard show got to New Haven, CT, they had flipped the bill. Must have sucked for Mr. Squier.