Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    The Great Southeast Music Hall. I saw a basically unknown Tom Waits there opening for an up and coming comedian that looked like he had an arrow through his head. Like 1974 or 1975.
    Very, very famous small venue that a lot of famous musicians have played in.

ricks
    As far as unknowns, I saw Phish open twice for Col. Bruce Hampton in 1990 or so. Could hot have been more than a few dozen people at one of them.

Bigger scale, I saw a new college band R.E.M. open for The Police. Radio Free Europe was just hitting the college airwaves. And — they were awful.

Not many but high quality

Elvis in 1956 just before the Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel release

Bo Diddley at Duke

Dylan with The Band in LA in 1974 0r 75

Same venue for Joan Baez

Stones at Duke in 2005

Jerry Jeff Walker a whole bunch of times in DC

Not counting oldie recycles for the Everlys or Dion at Wolftrap
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Some of my more memorable shows...
    1st show was Jefferson Starship/Night Ranger. I was way too small to be on the front railing. A bouncer noticed me getting crushed and pulled me over. Let me hang right in front of the stage for a song or two before another chased me out.

Tool puts on a hell of a show. I've seen them several times and loved each one. Definitely faves.

G'n'F'n'R saw them a few times. Axle's a -hole but they put on a great show.

Cracker is always fun, a midnight show with only about 40-50 people was great.

The Dead before Jerry passed, what more need be said.

Was enjoying a Tori Amos show when Maynard from Tool came out and did a couple songs with her. That was awesome.

DMB at a little bar at VT. Had no idea who they were. They were interrupting our usual beer drinking!

Other fun ones - Cowboy Junkies, Van Halen, Violent Femmes, MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice, Live, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, Dylan, Johnny Lang, K.D. Lang, Kix, Squirrel Nut Zippers/Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    As far as unknowns, I saw Phish open twice for Col. Bruce Hampton in 1990 or so. Could hot have been more than a few dozen people at one of them.

Bigger scale, I saw a new college band R.E.M. open for The Police. Radio Free Europe was just hitting the college airwaves. And — they were awful.

I saw Hampton Grease Band once back in the 70's, but didn't know what to think. However, he (and they) grew on me.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I saw Hampton Grease Band once back in the 70's, but didn't know what to think. However, he (and they) grew on me.
    Hampton Grease Band’s Music to Eat was Columbia Record’s all-time second worst selling album.

First was a yoga instructional album.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Jerry Jeff Walker a whole bunch of times in DC
    Great choice! One of my favorite music events was Jerry Jeff’s birthday bash at Gruene Hall with Leon Russell. Perfect spot for their music.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    One of my favorite music events was Jerry Jeff’s birthday bash at Gruene Hall with Leon Russell. Perfect spot for their music.
    yep. Gonna miss him. And guy Clark.. and a lot of those who have passed on.

I do get to see Ray Benson/Asleep at the Wheel every year or so when they come thru the Rockies
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post

Other fun ones - Cowboy Junkies, Van Halen, Violent Femmes, MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice, Live, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, Dylan, Johnny Lang, K.D. Lang, Kix, Squirrel Nut Zippers/Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats.
    What surprised me about K.D. Lang was how good a voice she had -- she was in George Jones territory.

Also, at our summer concerts we cycle through a bunch of old performers -- there are a lot of retirees here who'll go. Some ain't so hot any more. But one old guy who definitely still had it was Peter Frampton. He rocked the pavilion.
    Sage Grouse

Hampton Grease Band’s Music to Eat was Columbia Record’s all-time second worst selling album.

First was a yoga instructional album.
    Haha. Yea. But Hampton was a legend in Georgia, and especially Atlanta.
    ~rthomas

Haha. Yea. But Hampton was a legend in Georgia, and especially Atlanta.
    I saw him with Aquarium Rescue Unit almost weekly or my three years in ATL. What a sick band.

Otiel Burbridge went on to play bass for the Allman Bros., and now Dead & Co.
    Jimmy Herring plays with Widespread Panic, and played with several big jam bands.
    Jeff Sipe went on to join Leftover Salmon and others.
    Matt Mundy, Jeff Mosier, and Count Mbutu were all fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    DMB actually played it in Cameron on 4.7.95. The song that became #41 debuted that night. One of my biggest regrets is not knowing to attend. (I was in my 2L year at Duke Law at the time.)

The 1994 show at Wait Chapel (mentioned above) was just Dave + Tim Reynolds. It was on 11.11.94, the night my oldest son was born.

And @ClemmonsDevil: Five shows? My next will be (wait for it) #41.
    Ha! I have been to dozens. I used to go to Ziggy's in Winston-Salem and Cats Cradle in Carrboro. Saw Dave at Ziggys. Hootie at both Ziggy's and Cats Cradle. And dozens more. I sandbagged.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    The Great Southeast Music Hall. I saw a basically unknown Tom Waits there opening for an up and coming comedian that looked like he had an arrow through his head. Like 1974 or 1975.
    Very, very famous small venue that a lot of famous musicians have played in.

ricks
    Wow. That's quite a cool scenario.

Mine is Neil Young. Missed him a few times, afraid I’ve missed my chance.

Had a chance to see David Byrne on Broadway (Weezie IIRC was part of the motivation to not miss my chance) — the Talking Heads are the one band where everyone is still living and I’d fly anywhere to see a show if they reformed. Been lucky to see most others, more or less, that I want.

Byrne’s show is available on HBO+ — filmed by Spike Lee — highly recommend. And got an email that they are planning to revive the show on Broadway in the fall if possible. Just. Do. It.
    Have seen/saw Neil Young a few times; oddly (or maybe not) the best was when he had Booker T/MGs as his backing band. Have seen the Stones 3 times, twice at Carter Findley and once at Wally Wade ... those are not just concerts, those are EVENTS.

IMHO, maybe the most consistently great/satisfying was Tom Petty and the HBs (well maybe other than the Stones) ... what a "live" band, although i liked them better when Stan Lynch was the drummer.

Favorite "not so big act" would be the Jayhawks ... never forget seeing them in Raleigh (the Switch I think) after "Tomorrow The Green Grass" was released, there were no more than 8 people in the place ... felt bad for them, but to their credit, they did a great show (felt kind of personal ).

Most disappointing, Bob Dylan at the Dean Dome early 90's, never spoke a word to the audience, songs were blared the point of being almost unrecognizable ... highlight was guitarist GE Smith.

Jayhawks were criminally underrated, and that sentence has nothing to do with Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by bludev View Post
    Most disappointing, Bob Dylan at the Dean Dome early 90's, never spoke a word to the audience, songs were blared the point of being almost unrecognizable ... highlight was guitarist GE Smith.
    I’ve seen Dylan a bunch. His various backing bands included Tom Petty and the HB; the Grateful Dead; GESmith; and a few other random bands.

Some of the best, and absolute worst, shows I’ve seen. You never know what you’ll get.

(I have since passed on him a few times).

Yes in Cameron
    Bob Dylan and The Band
    Eric Clapton w/Pete Townsend and Keith Moon
    The Who
    Jackson Brown opened for America at Greensboro War Mem. Aud.
    Radiohead St. Triphon Switzerland in an ancient quarry. They were
    touring historic venues. Must admit it was the most unique venue I've been too
    and I was at Love Valley!
    Dexter Gordon in a rehearsal hall in Sarasota. Fewer than 50 in attendance.
    Many jazz artist in small venues in Fla. Jaco Pastorius, Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin among others.
    Tierra Verde small island in Tampa Bay had a great lounge with artist like Ramsey Lewis, Nicolette Larson,
    Quincy Jones. Very intimate.
    Led Zeppelin
    James Cotton Blues Band NYC Bottom Line
    Tony Bennett Venetian Room Mark Hopkins San Fran
    Probably the strangest was at Park Center Charlotte: Dr John, Flash, Ike and Tine Turner and the Ikettes, Mahavishu Orchestra
    Stephen Stills Symphony Woods, Columbia, Md.
    Marvin Gaye at Beach Club Ocean Drive. Chatted outside between shows.
    Hard to draw the line but this should keep your interest and not reach the level of boredom.
    Final note. My wife's first concert was Jimi Hendrix.

I’ve seen Dylan a bunch. His various backing bands included Tom Petty and the HB; the Grateful Dead; GESmith; and a few other random bands.

Some of the best, and absolute worst, shows I’ve seen. You never know what you’ll get.

(I have since passed on him a few times).
    As usual, spot on! I’ve also seen Dylan 20-30 times. IMO, The Grateful Dead shows were great, the GE Smith shows were bad. Definitely, the most unpredictable musician I saw many times.

I grew up in the 70's and I've seen a lot of concerts. One of the very best was Willie Nelson in Charlotte in 1978. With Emmylou Harris, early in her solo career. I actually went begrudgingly because country wasn't my thing, but left lifelong fans of both Willie and Emmylou.
    ~rthomas

I grew up in the 70's and I've seen a lot of concerts. One of the very best was Willie Nelson in Charlotte in 1978. With Emmylou Harris, early in her solo career. I actually went begrudgingly because country wasn't my thing, but left lifelong fans of both Willie and Emmylou.
    I think any true music lover would have a hard time not liking a great musician. Willie is a great musician.

If classical concerts count, I'm somewhere in the hundreds. I've seen an average of about 10 classical performances per year for the last 40 years, with the exception of this year. For more popular acts, my tally is much, much more limited. Maybe 30? I won't even try to post a comprehensive list.

I went to my first stadium rock concert when I was in high school. My parents took the family to the top of Queen Anne back in the late '70s for some reason, and while we were admiring the view, we could hear a rock concert playing in the Seattle Center Arena. My brother became obsessed with going to that show, so the next night, we found some tickets and went to see Heart from upper level seats. I lived a pretty sheltered life and remember being vaguely amused as we watched the arena fill from the top down with pot smoke. I remember seeing someone carted out on a stretcher - presumably from drinking/drug use - from the floor before the opening band even started. It was memorable.

My taste runs the gamut of styles, from Peter, Paul, and Mary, to The Eagles, to Rush (bucket list to see Neil Peart live), to Maynard Ferguson. I tend to prefer small venue acts these days, and too late I learned that I should always, always bring earplugs to an amplified show. It was Peter, Paul, and Mary that really drove that home, oddly enough.