Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I saw a triple bill of Kasey Chambers, Richard Thompson, and Lucinda Williams at Wolf Trap. It was quite a show. I think it was shortly after Lucinda released Essence.
    Very jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    NWA, James Taylor, George Strait, Guns N Roses with Metallica, Dave Matthews band × 5. Best ever was George Strait. 4 hours of music and only number one hits. He is the GOAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    DMB at Cats Cradle before they got big was pretty rad.
    Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    with you on this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I saw DMB at a frat party on west campus in fall, 1993 and a few other small venues (The Ritz in Raleigh, Wait Chapel at Wake) in 1994 before they hit it big. I saw them at a small venue in London in 1996 after they were big in the US but not abroad. Cat's Cradle is a great venue where I saw several acts in the mid-90s, though blanking on who.

Ben Folds Five in a small venue in ATL around 1997-1998. One of my favorite bands - so much energy and talent. I might have seen them at Cats Cradle.

Grateful Dead four times shortly before Jerry died.

John Legend at a tiny club in Philly with about 50 other people in 2001-2002 before when he was still John Stephens. A few of my friends had worked with him as a consultant at BCG so we saw him when he was in Philly and we hung out briefly after the show.

Mandela Day at Radio City in 2009 - Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys, Josh Groban and various others.

These are the most notable. I used to go to a lot of concerts but marriage, work, kids, etc. have gotten in the way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    Very jealous.
    DMB actually played it in Cameron on 4.7.95. The song that became #41 debuted that night. One of my biggest regrets is not knowing to attend. (I was in my 2L year at Duke Law at the time.)

The 1994 show at Wait Chapel (mentioned above) was just Dave + Tim Reynolds. It was on 11.11.94, the night my oldest son was born.

And @ClemmonsDevil: Five shows? My next will be (wait for it) #41.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    NWA, James Taylor, George Strait, Guns N Roses with Metallica, Dave Matthews band × 5. Best ever was George Strait. 4 hours of music and only number one hits. He is the GOAT.
    1999 George Strait Country Musical Festival in Texas Stadium (old Cowboys digs) featuring Strait, Tim McGraw, the then Dixie Chicks (now Chicks), Kenny Chesney, JoDee Messina, Alan Jackson (IIRC), and others.

First concert I ever went to was Jimmy Buffett. I was in high school and my parents didn't really drink in front of me so, yeah, I got an education.

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    https://covercharge.bandcamp.com/alb...it-cats-cradle

Seen Lambchop three times at the Cradle, Built To Spill once, Ben Folds, Buddy and Julie Miller, Don Dixon, and a bunch more that escape me off the top of my head. Hope to be able to return some day as it has now been probably close to ten years.

The link above is a terrific fundraiser release by local bands to benefit the Cat's Cradle. I highly recommend it.
    Last band I saw there was The Psychedelic Furs in 2018.

Have seen the Furs at the Cradle about three times. Link below is to a 2013 concert there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaOmtb-HbIg

Not sure if anyone likes New Order. They split up but their bass player Peter Hook has played at the Cradle about 3 times. Absolutely brilliant. He played New Order sets and Joy Division.

I have also seen the English Beat at the Cats cradle. Excellent show..
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Too many to list. Way too many to list. Going back to Three Dog Night and the Carpenters (back when Steve Martin was opening for them!) all the way through to Oingo Boingo, The Smiths, REM, Hoodoo Gurus, Wall of Voodoo, The Pixies, 10,000 Maniacs, Tool, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Babes in Toyland, L7, etc., etc., etc. Can’t remember them all. Guess that explains why my ears ring 24/7/365.

Most memorable and/or best?

Nirvana at the Cow Palace in San Francisco on their In Utero tour was a pretty amazing experience. I was probably the oldest person in the mosh pit, which, frankly, got a bit scary at times.

Tool as part of Lollapalooza. Unbelievable talent. Amazing precision.

The Smiths on The Queen is Dead tour. They were my favorite band.

REM on the Life’s Rich Pageant tour. Got to hear Swan Swan H and several other songs before they had been released.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    DMB actually played it in Cameron on 4.7.95. The song that became #41 debuted that night. One of my biggest regrets is not knowing to attend. (I was in my 2L year at Duke Law at the time.)

The 1994 show at Wait Chapel (mentioned above) was just Dave + Tim Reynolds. It was on 11.11.94, the night my oldest son was born.

And @ClemmonsDevil: Five shows? My next will be (wait for it) #41.
    I was at the 1995 show in Cameron. Cameron is really not a great venue for concerts but seeing arguably my favorite band in my favorite place on earth was still really cool. And it was a nice pick-me-up after a lousy basketball season.

I'm fairly sure the Wait show was DMB and not Dave and Tim - just looked it up and the interwebs confirms that. I vaguely recall Rusted Root opening, but I can't find any proof of that.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I was at the 1995 show in Cameron. Cameron is really not a great venue for concerts but seeing arguably my favorite band in my favorite place on earth was still really cool. And it was a nice pick-me-up after a lousy basketball season.

I'm fairly sure the Wait show was DMB and not Dave and Tim - just looked it up and the interwebs confirms that. I vaguely recall Rusted Root opening, but I can't find any proof of that.
    You’re right, and I’m wrong 2.9.99 was D&T @Wait.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

The Smiths on The Queen is Dead tour. They were my favorite band.
    Wow. I love the Smiths but somehow have never got round to seeing them.

By coincidence I saw this yesterday.

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/202...dancer-stream/

David Bowie and Morrissey’s live cover of T. Rex’s ‘Cosmic Dancer’ gets official release.

Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

The best concerts I've seen are:

1. Prince at Philips Arena Atlanta, 2004:

2. The Rolling Stones at Wallace Wade, 2005: I was pleasantly surprised at just how good they were.
    3. Brandi Carlile at the Georgia Theatre, 2018
    4. Wilco at the Alabama Theater, 2017
    5. Tie between a lot of stuff: Willie Nelson, Brittany Howard, Florence & the Machine, Bone Thugs & Harmony, Bjork, etc.
    Last edited by wilson; 11-15-2020 at 08:16 PM.

I’d guess I’ve seen 600-900 concerts. The groups I’ve seen more than a dozen times:

Allman Brothers
    Bob Dylan
    CSN
    Jerry Garcia Band
    Grateful Dead
    Little Feat
    Tom Petty
    Warren Zevon

Groups I’ve seen a few times but should have seen many more...

Bruce Springsteen
    Jeff Beck
    Jethro Tull
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Van Morrison

Favorite venues:

Red Rocks
    Greek Theatre (Berkeley)
    Hampton Coliseum
    Gruene Hall
    The Barns of Wolf Trap

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I’d guess I’ve seen 600-900 concerts. The groups I’ve seen more than a dozen times:

Allman Brothers
    Bob Dylan
    CSN
    Jerry Garcia Band
    Grateful Dead
    Little Feat
    Tom Petty
    Warren Zevon

Bruce Springsteen
    Jeff Beck
    Jethro Tull
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Van Morrison

Favorite venues:

Red Rocks
    Greek Theatre (Berkeley)
    Hampton Coliseum
    Gruene Hall
    The Barns of Wolf Trap
    Kind of a little bit jealous that you got to see Warren Zevon.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I only saw Zevon once, on his solo acoustic tour in the early 1990's. The album "Learning to Flinch" is from that tour, excellent recording.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Kind of a little bit jealous that you got to see Warren Zevon.
    IMO, Warren was a highly underrated songwriter. I saw Zevon about 20 times, mostly in bars. Every tour was unique and Warren always reinvented his work (kind of like Dylan). My favorite were his solo shows. I saw about half a dozen of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    I also ushered at the Lauper/B's concert, and was much more impressed with Lauper than I expected to be. Also at (working or via a paid ticket) the Clapton, REM, and Furs shows, as well as UB40, Neil Young, and (best of the mainstream shows) Stevie Ray V. Probably had the most fun at two Duke Coffeehouse shows in 1987 - the Connells and Southern Culture on the Skids (both later to become local legends) - and shows at the Hideaway when I had friends in the band.
    Ah, Duke Coffeehouse shows. I personally know at least 1,000 people who were in the Coffeehouse when Beck performed.
    Carolina delenda est

Not a long list but there were some quality shows.

Eric Clapton with Poco as an opening act in Greensboro
    The Doobie Brothers in Greensboro
    The Smithereens at Cat's Cradle
    Tears for Fears in Richmond
    Toe Fungus in Seattle, Water Head was the opening act

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I only saw Zevon once, on his solo acoustic tour in the early 1990's. The album "Learning to Flinch" is from that tour, excellent recording.
    IIRC, that was ‘92. IMO, a very good time to see Warren. IMO, it’s great you saw a solo show.

In the 80’s and 90’s he played a lot of shows between D.C. and N.Y.C. For example, I must have seen him at The Bayou, in D.C., at least half a dozen times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post

Allman Brothers
    Bob Dylan
    CSN
    Jerry Garcia Band
    Grateful Dead
    Little Feat
    Tom Petty
    Warren Zevon

Bruce Springsteen
    Jeff Beck
    Jethro Tull
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Van Morrison

Favorite venues:

Red Rocks
    Greek Theatre (Berkeley)
    Hampton Coliseum
    Gruene Hall
    The Barns of Wolf Trap
    600 to 900 rock concerts? Damn How is your hearing these days??

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    600 to 900 rock concerts? Damn How is your hearing these days??
    It’s perfect... I’m married.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Ah, Duke Coffeehouse shows. I personally know at least 1,000 people who were in the Coffeehouse when Beck performed.
    I very clearly remember that show. But I did not go, even though I was living nearby on East. Looking at the calendar, that show (March 26, 1994) was also the night Duke beat Glenn Robinson and Purdue in the Elite Eight - we went to west to burn some benches. It was also Passover.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I'm a small venue, emerging artist guy. Probably started in 1973 or 1974, can't remember the exact date. I was stationed at Fort Benning, GA and had read in Rolling Stone about this guy Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

A bunch of us went to Atlanta to hear him. I can't remember the name of the venue but it was very small, not more than 100 seats, in a strip mall. Bruce and the band blew me away. They played two sets. Between sets the people at the table next to us invited Bruce over for a beer. He was a skinny, awkward dude in those days. He was sitting 10 feet away from us and I have forever regretted that I didn't ask him if he would pose for a a picture with me. Of course, I didn't have a camera and cellphones were not yet invented.

Great, great show.

The Great Southeast Music Hall. I saw a basically unknown Tom Waits there opening for an up and coming comedian that looked like he had an arrow through his head. Like 1974 or 1975.
    Very, very famous small venue that a lot of famous musicians have played in.

ricks