Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 121 to 135 of 135
  1. #121
    Prince?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    OPK, I must've seen Dash Rip Rock four or five times, mostly at Jimmy's. I used to gig there with my own band.
    Claims to fame of my own band... on the marquee at Jimmy's and in the paper as opening for X (sadly it never happened).
    Gigged Tipitina's once (the place that a started Professor Longhair and Dr. John and The Meters and The Neville brothers, among others). A truly iconic New Orleans venue. Believe me when I tell you that it is not easy to get your band on that stage.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colfax, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    OPK, I must've seen Dash Rip Rock four or five times, mostly at Jimmy's. I used to gig there with my own band.
    Claims to fame of my own band... on the marquee at Jimmy's and in the paper as opening for X (sadly it never happened).
    Gigged Tipitina's once (the place that a started Professor Longhair and Dr. John and The Meters and The Neville brothers, among others). A truly iconic New Orleans venue. Believe me when I tell you that it is not easy to get your band on that stage.

    Speaking of Tipitinas, saw the Radiators there many times in the mid 80s. Saw them in the early 90s in Chicago and late 90s in Tampa. Awesome shows every time.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Bands I’ve seen (way incomplete)

    The Who (multiple)
    The Rolling Stones (multiple)
    Pink Floyd (multiple — no Roger Waters)
    B.B. King (multiple)
    James Brown (multiple)
    Grateful Dead (many multiple — stopped counting at show #50) (and post-Jerry spin-offs including with John Mayer)
    Jerry Garcia (acoustic and electric on Broadway)
    Jorma/Hot Tuna (multiple)
    John Prine (multiple)
    Little Feat (multiple but not with Lowell George)
    Todd Snider (multiple)
    Jonathan Richman (multiple)
    Michael Hedges (multiple)
    Allman Bros. (multiple)
    Dylan (multiple)
    R.E.M. (multiple)
    Phish (multiple, small clubs)
    Robert Earl Keene (multiple)
    Lyle Lovett (multiple)
    Santana (multiple)
    John Hammond (multiple)
    Camper Van Beethoven (multiple)
    Col. Bruce Hampton and ARU (many multiple)
    Johnny Lee Hooker
    The Clash
    Elvis Costello
    Living Colour
    Neville Bros.
    John Hiatt
    Roy Bookbinder
    Atlanta Rhythm Section
    Al Dimeola
    Shadowfax
    Blue Öyster Cult (@Radio City Music Hall of all places)
    Steely Dan
    Rick Danko
    Drive-By Truckers
    David Byrne (Broadway)
    Avett Brothers
    Alison Krauss and Union Station
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Dead Kennedys
    Black Flag
    Arlo Guthrie
    Gaelic Storm
    The Tams
    Willie Nelson
    Leo Kottke
    Eric Clapton
    Joan Jett
    Marshall Tucker Band
    Barrence Whitfield and the Savages
    Marshall Crenshaw
    Psychedelic Furs
    Billy Idol
    Cindi Lauper and the Bangles
    Blues Travelers
    Clarence Gatemouth Brown
    Matt Guitar Murphy
    Taj Mahal
    Delbert McClinton
    Traffic
    Bruce Hornsby
    Bruce Springsteen (Acoustic)
    CSN
    Pat Benatar
    Styx
    Def Leppard and Billy Squier
    Village People
    Adam Ant
    The Police
    Yes
    Moody Blues
    Dr. John
    Albert King
    Ben E. King
    Bobby Blue Bland
    Ray Charles
    John Mayall
    U2 with Public Enemy as opener
    Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets
    So many but I have to single out The Clash. Wow. Somehow I missed them when they played at Barbarellas, Birmingham Uk in 1976 when so many of my mates got to see them. I love Joe Strummer. If you get to see the documentary The Future is Unwritten watch it. Well worth it.
    If it happens again I’m leaving.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0lAf-IssD0

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Gigged Tipitina's once (the place that a started Professor Longhair and Dr. John and The Meters and The Neville brothers, among others). A truly iconic New Orleans venue. Believe me when I tell you that it is not easy to get your band on that stage.
    Wow, EXTREMELY cool. And just saw that Dr. John would have turned 81 yesterday. The Night Tripper is much loved and much missed. (He apparently was a hell of a guitar player when he was young, but had his left ring jacked up in a shooting incident when he was 19 making it difficult to barre chords. So he concentrated on piano — and the rest is history.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    So many but I have to single out The Clash. Wow. Somehow I missed them when they played at Barbarellas, Birmingham Uk in 1976 when so many of my mates got to see them. I love Joe Strummer. If you get to see the documentary The Future is Unwritten watch it. Well worth it.
    I also recommend The Rise And The Fall Of The Clash. Teaser: https://youtu.be/yjOu4vTmMO0 .

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    near the Thrillerdome in ATL

    I may be old but I saw all the good bands

    I graduated HS in 72 and matriculated Duke that fall in time to see Stevie Wonder, The Eagles and Yes. The Yes concert recording 11/11/72 at the Indoor Stadium is available on you tube.

    Summer 72 I saw the Rolling Stones in Chicago at the International Amphitheatre, the first bigtime concert for me. My ears rang all the way home, a 2 hour drive.

    Missed Crosby and Nash at Cameron in 73-74 studying for an organic exam the nest day but the great reception at the concert paved the way for Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark tour the next year with Tom Scott and the LA Express...still the best show I've ever seen in 53 years of concert attendance IMHO of course.

    Obtained tickets via lottery to the 1974 Bob Dylan and the Band tour opening show at the Chicago Stadium Jan 3, 1974. Dylans first live performance in 8 years following is 1966 motorcycle accident.

    Other great shows seen at Duke: The Dead, Allman Brothers, Joni again, Dave Mason, Herbie Hancock

    Bands missed thru the years: Elvis, The Beatles, Led Zep, Hendrix, Joplin (check out her Monterrey set on You Tube) Velvet Underground, Tull, Talking Heads, Bowie.

    Other favorites: Bruce 78 Darkness Tour Uptown Theatre Chicago.. a close second to Joni's concert at Duke.
    The Who
    Elton multiple times
    McCartney, Eagles at Piedmont Park in ATL
    Allmans at the Fox ATL
    Stones ditto
    Linda Ronstadt with the Eagles 1975 outdoors in Chicago
    Neil Young Live Rust tour (Neil was Rolling Stone Magazine's artist of the 70's decade)
    Lou Reed at the Fox
    Aretha

    Allison Krause, Lucinda Williams, Todd Rundgren, Richard Thompson(Fairport Convention) Leo Kottke, Radney Foster (a college classmate of my wife), Warren Zevon, Steve Goodman, John Prine, Jewel, Nora Jones and multiple acts at the Station Inn, Bluebird Cafe, Third and Lindsley in my wife's hometown of Nashville and oh so many blues artists (here's to you KokoTaylor and Buddy Guy) at Chicago's Legends, Kingston Mines, Wise Fools Pub and B.L.U.E.S.

    Hoping to see:
    A Kinks Reunion
    Tull. (for you Bowman A)
    Paul Simon


    Now off to spin a few records while cleaning up starting with "Shoot Out the Lights"

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    Hoping to see:
    A Kinks Reunion
    Ray Davies is criminally underrated as a songwriter and performer. I wish his feud with his brother wasn’t so deep.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    So many but I have to single out The Clash. Wow. Somehow I missed them when they played at Barbarellas, Birmingham Uk in 1976 when so many of my mates got to see them. I love Joe Strummer. If you get to see the documentary The Future is Unwritten watch it. Well worth it.
    Never got to see The Clash, but I did see Big Audio Dynamite in New Orleans. Apparently the safety people were concerned about how many people were crowding up against the stage, so they instructed the band to ask people to back up a little. Strummer got up there to the mike and with his heavy cockney accent said something very close to this: 'i know it's difficult because i'm so attractive, but the staff has requested that you back off a bit.'
    It was pretty humorous.

  9. #129

    Most memorable day-Springsteen-February 28, 1981

    Duke basketball reference associated with a concert. Attended the Duke/UNC game at Cameron when Banks tied the game at the buzzer and then Duke won in overtime. Then went over to Greensboro for a Springsteen concert at night.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by drhbre View Post
    Duke basketball reference associated with a concert. Attended the Duke/UNC game at Cameron when Banks tied the game at the buzzer and then Duke won in overtime. Then went over to Greensboro for a Springsteen concert at night.
    Wow, you had energy back then. I would have been happy to bask in the glory of a Duke win over UNC with out any desire for further entertainment that night.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    I graduated HS in 72 and matriculated Duke that fall in time to see Stevie Wonder, The Eagles and Yes. The Yes concert recording 11/11/72 at the Indoor Stadium is available on you tube.

    Summer 72 I saw the Rolling Stones in Chicago at the International Amphitheatre, the first bigtime concert for me. My ears rang all the way home, a 2 hour drive.

    Missed Crosby and Nash at Cameron in 73-74 studying for an organic exam the nest day but the great reception at the concert paved the way for Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark tour the next year with Tom Scott and the LA Express...still the best show I've ever seen in 53 years of concert attendance IMHO of course.

    Obtained tickets via lottery to the 1974 Bob Dylan and the Band tour opening show at the Chicago Stadium Jan 3, 1974. Dylans first live performance in 8 years following is 1966 motorcycle accident.

    Other great shows seen at Duke: The Dead, Allman Brothers, Joni again, Dave Mason, Herbie Hancock

    Bands missed thru the years: Elvis, The Beatles, Led Zep, Hendrix, Joplin (check out her Monterrey set on You Tube) Velvet Underground, Tull, Talking Heads, Bowie.

    Other favorites: Bruce 78 Darkness Tour Uptown Theatre Chicago.. a close second to Joni's concert at Duke.
    The Who
    Elton multiple times
    McCartney, Eagles at Piedmont Park in ATL
    Allmans at the Fox ATL
    Stones ditto
    Linda Ronstadt with the Eagles 1975 outdoors in Chicago
    Neil Young Live Rust tour (Neil was Rolling Stone Magazine's artist of the 70's decade)
    Lou Reed at the Fox
    Aretha

    Allison Krause, Lucinda Williams, Todd Rundgren, Richard Thompson(Fairport Convention) Leo Kottke, Radney Foster (a college classmate of my wife), Warren Zevon, Steve Goodman, John Prine, Jewel, Nora Jones and multiple acts at the Station Inn, Bluebird Cafe, Third and Lindsley in my wife's hometown of Nashville and oh so many blues artists (here's to you KokoTaylor and Buddy Guy) at Chicago's Legends, Kingston Mines, Wise Fools Pub and B.L.U.E.S.

    Hoping to see:
    A Kinks Reunion
    Tull. (for you Bowman A)
    Paul Simon


    Now off to spin a few records while cleaning up starting with "Shoot Out the Lights"
    Wow, just WOW!! A jaw-dropping list of many of the greatest solo artists and bands in the history of popular music. I am just in awe. You’ve got about 15 of my 25 all-time favorite artists on there. Amazing.

    I’m really enjoying listening to that Yes concert at CIS. Thanks for the heads-up on that one 👍. I especially enjoyed that version of “And You and I” — a beloved song of mine — as well as “Mood For A Day”, which my son (who is a teenager) has performed live quite a few times.

    By the way, after your reminder next up is Richard and Linda Thompson’s classic album “Shoot Out the Lights”. What a special album, don’t you think?

    Anyway, thanks for sharing. 😊

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post

    Other favorites: Bruce 78 Darkness Tour Uptown Theatre Chicago.. a close second to Joni's concert at Duke. "
    Ditto the Darkness Tour shows. First Bruce concert for me and an all time great. Born in the USA was too big. Tunnel of Love shows I liked better, especially the “horns of love” backup horn section.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Derm
    No way I can compete volume-wise. My concert going "experience" peaked during Bruce's Darkness tour when I spent the summer going up and down the east coast to a bunch of shows, trading tickets like draft picks to try to get into the first ~20 rows. After that I was not much for the big arenas. Shows often disappoint me when production overshadows performance. Bowie and the Stones didn't do it for me live. A couple of NC bands that deliver (IMO) are Ben Folds and The Avett Brothers. Cowboy Junkies were also surprisingly good. Still haven't seen Marcus King and he's sounding more and more produced. Some others that got away but I'd roll the dice on (no idea about their live shows) are Cracker and Eels.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Reading through the previous posts/lists I know some of you will think ‘what’? when you see this...Anyway...

    David Bowie
    Psychedelic Furs
    UB40
    Ultravox
    The English Beat
    The Style Council
    Talking Heads
    Big Audio Dynamite
    U2
    Siouxsie and the Banshees
    Gary Numan
    New Order
    Joy Division
    The Higsons
    Magazine
    Bauhaus
    The Human League
    Howard Devoto
    John Foxx
    The Style Council
    Pink Floyd
    Roger Waters
    Killing Joke
    Peter Hook and the Light
    Spear of Destiny
    Coldplay
    Everything But The Girl
    Vampire Weekend
    Elvis Costello
    Spandau Ballet
    The Cure
    Lloyd Cole
    Duran Duran
    Soft Cell
    Altered Images
    Wasted Youth
    Modern English
    Nick Cave and the Cavemen
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    Young Marble Giants
    Thompson Twins
    Simply Red
    A Certain Ratio
    Charlie Watts Quintet.
    Last edited by Furniture; 11-22-2020 at 10:49 PM.
    If it happens again I’m leaving.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0lAf-IssD0

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Phish in a friend's back yard some decades ago was a good one.

Similar Threads

  1. Concerts in Cameron
    By duketaylor in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 12-03-2015, 12:29 PM
  2. Really? Nothing on the Fare Thee Well Concerts
    By Dukehky in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-20-2015, 10:18 AM
  3. Old Awesome Concerts
    By Udaman in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 09-30-2011, 06:55 PM
  4. Duke concerts
    By House G in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 05:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •