Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Concerts you have seen

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Such an underrated band. Glamour Boys applies too.
    I saw them open for The Stones (featuring Mick and Keith, a/k/a “the Glamour Twins”) at Grant Field in ‘91 +/-.

I was more of a Who fan than the Stones and had seen The Who a few times previously. First Stones show, the first few tunes were fine. Then Keith either came up from the fog or down from the clouds and HIT IT from then on out. That’s when I realized why they’re called The Greatest Rock Band In The World.

Pure Craic.

And Living Colour was one of the top three openers I’ve seen, along with The Clash (open for The Who) and Def Leppard (open for Billy Squier). Add the Nevilles for the Dead, Tom Petty and Dylan for the Dead (several shows), also Leo Kottke for Michael Hedges . . . .
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 11-15-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I saw them open for The Stones (featuring Mick and Keith, a/k/a “the Glamour Twins”) at Grant Field in ‘91 +/-.

I was more of a Who fan than the Stones and had seen The Who a few times previously. First Stones show, the first few tunes were fine. Then Keith either came up from the fog or down from the clouds and HIT IT from then on out. That’s when I realized why they’re called The Greatest Rock Band In The World.

Pure Craic.

And Living Colour was one of the top three openers I’ve seen, along with The Clash (open for The Who) and Def Leppard (open for Billy Squier). Add the Nevilles for the Dead, Tom Petty and Dylan for the Dead (several shows), also Leo Kottke for Michael Hedges . . . .
    I am jealous. I have a couple bands/artists left on my bucket list and they are two of them. Every time with the Stones something comes up. Missing the Wally Wade show was a (Heartbreaker).

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I am jealous. I have a couple bands/artists left on my bucket list and they are two of them. Every time with the Stones something comes up. Missing the Wally Wade show was a (Heartbreaker).
    Mine is Neil Young. Missed him a few times, afraid I’ve missed my chance.

Had a chance to see David Byrne on Broadway (Weezie IIRC was part of the motivation to not miss my chance) — the Talking Heads are the one band where everyone is still living and I’d fly anywhere to see a show if they reformed. Been lucky to see most others, more or less, that I want.

Byrne’s show is available on HBO+ — filmed by Spike Lee — highly recommend. And got an email that they are planning to revive the show on Broadway in the fall if possible. Just. Do. It.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Mine is Neil Young. Missed him a few times, afraid I’ve missed my chance.

Had a chance to see David Byrne on Broadway (Weezie IIRC was part of the motivation to not miss my chance) — the Talking Heads are the one band where everyone is still living and I’d fly anywhere to see a show if they reformed. Been lucky to see most others, more or less, that I want.

Byrne’s show is available on HBO+ — filmed by Spike Lee — highly recommend. And got an email that they are planning to revive the show on Broadway in the fall if possible. Just. Do. It.
    I am not much of a concert goer. Never have been really. The bands that I've seen live are quite limited and I've always much preferred seeing bands in clubs. BUT, two of the rather small number of musical acts that I've seen live are Neil Young (in Cameron) and Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense Tour (in Carmichael). If I could, I'd go back and give you my ticket to the Neil Young concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I am not much of a concert goer. Never have been really. The bands that I've seen live are quite limited and I've always much preferred seeing bands in clubs. BUT, two of the rather small number of musical acts that I've seen live are Neil Young (in Cameron) and Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense Tour (in Carmichael). If I could, I'd go back and give you my ticket to the Neil Young concert.
    I visited Duke the day after that concert as a high school senior touring colleges. I probably still have a copy of the Chronicle review. I had a bootleg tape of that concert that was a favorite for years. I’m sure I listened to it dozens of times!

Best concerts I saw at Duke:

Clapton in Cameron
    R.E.M. in Page
    Jorma in Page
    Cindi Lauper/ Bangles at Cameron (ushered, went for the Bangles)
    Psychedelic Furs in Page
    Marshall Tucker on West Quad
    Barrence Whitfield and the Savages at the bar underneath Gilbert Adams
    Billy Idol at Cameron (don’t judge)

And — the many incredible bands we had in the Phi Kap section at kegs most Wednesday nights. Some of the best musicians I have ever met.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 11-15-2020 at 10:49 AM.

And — the many incredible bands we had in the Phi Kap section at kegs most Wednesday nights. Some of the best musicians I have ever met.
    Who were you playing with?

-jk

I visited Duke the day after that concert as a high school senior touring colleges. I probably still have a copy of the Chronicle review. I had a bootleg tape of that concert that was a favorite for years. I’m sure I listened to it dozens of times!

Best concerts I saw at Duke:

Clapton in Cameron
    R.E.M. in Page
    Jorma in Page
    Cindi Lauper/ Bangles at Cameron (ushered, went for the Bangles)
    Psychedelic Furs in Page
    Marshall Tucker on West Quad
    Barrence Whitfield and the Savages at the bar underneath Gilbert Adams
    Billy Idol at Cameron (don’t judge)

I also ushered at the Lauper/B's concert, and was much more impressed with Lauper than I expected to be. Also at (working or via a paid ticket) the Clapton, REM, and Furs shows, as well as UB40, Neil Young, and (best of the mainstream shows) Stevie Ray V. Probably had the most fun at two Duke Coffeehouse shows in 1987 - the Connells and Southern Culture on the Skids (both later to become local legends) - and shows at the Hideaway when I had friends in the band.

I'm a small venue, emerging artist guy. Probably started in 1973 or 1974, can't remember the exact date. I was stationed at Fort Benning, GA and had read in Rolling Stone about this guy Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

A bunch of us went to Atlanta to hear him. I can't remember the name of the venue but it was very small, not more than 100 seats, in a strip mall. Bruce and the band blew me away. They played two sets. Between sets the people at the table next to us invited Bruce over for a beer. He was a skinny, awkward dude in those days. He was sitting 10 feet away from us and I have forever regretted that I didn't ask him if he would pose for a a picture with me. Of course, I didn't have a camera and cellphones were not yet invented.

Great, great show.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I'm a small venue, emerging artist guy. Probably started in 1973 or 1974, can't remember the exact date. I was stationed at Fort Benning, GA and had read in Rolling Stone about this guy Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

A bunch of us went to Atlanta to hear him. I can't remember the name of the venue but it was very small, not more than 100 seats, in a strip mall. Bruce and the band blew me away. They played two sets. Between sets the people at the table next to us invited Bruce over for a beer. He was a skinny, awkward dude in those days. He was sitting 10 feet away from us and I have forever regretted that I didn't ask him if he would pose for a a picture with me. Of course, I didn't have a camera and cellphones were not yet invented.

Great, great show.
    I also prefer small venues. Tops of the tiny venue concerts for me was probably Alejandro Escoveda in the late 90s with a few dozen people at a house concert in Chapel Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    I also prefer small venues. Tops of the tiny venue concerts for me was probably Alejandro Escoveda in the late 90s with a few dozen people at a house concert in Chapel Hill.
    I saw Alejandro Escovedo 3 or 4 years ago at etown in Boulder. 200 seat venue. He's very good. You probably know this but he got his start with a punk rock band, The Nuns, in San Francisco.

There are several guys in the Americana/Austin country branch that started as punk rockers.

Small Venues

Yes, I've only gone to small venues for the last 10 years or so. Some of the best shows I've seen in small venues were at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, including Richard Thompson (solo), Lucinda Williams, a few months before she released Car Wheels, Steve Earle with Buddy and Julie Miller, and Steve Earle with the Del McCoury Band.

Bruce Cockburn at one of the smaller stages at Wolf Trap, in Vienna, VA.

And then there are the shows by lesser known artists at really small venues, like 50 or so people on a busy night, and 10 on other nights. For example, Gurf Morlix, Amelia White, and Mary Battiata and Little Pink, all at Hill Country BBQ in downtown DC.

Will be great when we can go to live music again.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Yes, I've only gone to small venues for the last 10 years or so. Some of the best shows I've seen in small venues were at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, including Richard Thompson (solo), Lucinda Williams, a few months before she released Car Wheels, Steve Earle with Buddy and Julie Miller, and Steve Earle with the Del McCoury Band.

Bruce Cockburn at one of the smaller stages at Wolf Trap, in Vienna, VA.

And then there are the shows by lesser known artists at really small venues, like 50 or so people on a busy night, and 10 on other nights. For example, Gurf Morlix, Amelia White, and Mary Battiata and Little Pink, all at Hill Country BBQ in downtown DC.

Will be great when we can go to live music again.
    Richard Thompson is my favorite musician. Have seen him more than a half dozen times in a variety of settings, with and without a band, and he always delivers. Also enjoyed seeing Earl and Williams a couple of times each. Bbq and good music must be hard to beat.

Richard Thompson is my favorite musician. Have seen him more than a half dozen times in a variety of settings, with and without a band, and he always delivers. Also enjoyed seeing Earl and Williams a couple of times each. Bbq and good music must be hard to beat.
    I saw a triple bill of Kasey Chambers, Richard Thompson, and Lucinda Williams at Wolf Trap. It was quite a show. I think it was shortly after Lucinda released Essence.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I saw a triple bill of Kasey Chambers, Richard Thompson, and Lucinda Williams at Wolf Trap. It was quite a show. I think it was shortly after Lucinda released Essence.
    Very jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    NWA, James Taylor, George Strait, Guns N Roses with Metallica, Dave Matthews band × 5. Best ever was George Strait. 4 hours of music and only number one hits. He is the GOAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    DMB at Cats Cradle before they got big was pretty rad.
    Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    with you on this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I saw DMB at a frat party on west campus in fall, 1993 and a few other small venues (The Ritz in Raleigh, Wait Chapel at Wake) in 1994 before they hit it big. I saw them at a small venue in London in 1996 after they were big in the US but not abroad. Cat's Cradle is a great venue where I saw several acts in the mid-90s, though blanking on who.

Ben Folds Five in a small venue in ATL around 1997-1998. One of my favorite bands - so much energy and talent. I might have seen them at Cats Cradle.

Grateful Dead four times shortly before Jerry died.

John Legend at a tiny club in Philly with about 50 other people in 2001-2002 before when he was still John Stephens. A few of my friends had worked with him as a consultant at BCG so we saw him when he was in Philly and we hung out briefly after the show.

Mandela Day at Radio City in 2009 - Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys, Josh Groban and various others.

These are the most notable. I used to go to a lot of concerts but marriage, work, kids, etc. have gotten in the way...
    Very jealous.
    DMB actually played it in Cameron on 4.7.95. The song that became #41 debuted that night. One of my biggest regrets is not knowing to attend. (I was in my 2L year at Duke Law at the time.)

The 1994 show at Wait Chapel (mentioned above) was just Dave + Tim Reynolds. It was on 11.11.94, the night my oldest son was born.

And @ClemmonsDevil: Five shows? My next will be (wait for it) #41.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    DMB actually played it in Cameron on 4.7.95. The song that became #41 debuted that night. One of my biggest regrets is not knowing to attend. (I was in my 2L year at Duke Law at the time.)

The 1994 show at Wait Chapel (mentioned above) was just Dave + Tim Reynolds. It was on 11.11.94, the night my oldest son was born.

I was at the 1995 show in Cameron. Cameron is really not a great venue for concerts but seeing arguably my favorite band in my favorite place on earth was still really cool. And it was a nice pick-me-up after a lousy basketball season.

I'm fairly sure the Wait show was DMB and not Dave and Tim - just looked it up and the interwebs confirms that. I vaguely recall Rusted Root opening, but I can't find any proof of that.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I was at the 1995 show in Cameron. Cameron is really not a great venue for concerts but seeing arguably my favorite band in my favorite place on earth was still really cool. And it was a nice pick-me-up after a lousy basketball season.

I'm fairly sure the Wait show was DMB and not Dave and Tim - just looked it up and the interwebs confirms that. I vaguely recall Rusted Root opening, but I can't find any proof of that.
    You’re right, and I’m wrong 2.9.99 was D&T @Wait.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post

Ha! I have been to dozens. I used to go to Ziggy's in Winston-Salem and Cats Cradle in Carrboro. Saw Dave at Ziggys. Hootie at both Ziggy's and Cats Cradle. And dozens more. I sandbagged.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post

Great, great show.

The Great Southeast Music Hall. I saw a basically unknown Tom Waits there opening for an up and coming comedian that looked like he had an arrow through his head. Like 1974 or 1975.
    Very, very famous small venue that a lot of famous musicians have played in.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    The Great Southeast Music Hall. I saw a basically unknown Tom Waits there opening for an up and coming comedian that looked like he had an arrow through his head. Like 1974 or 1975.
    Very, very famous small venue that a lot of famous musicians have played in.

ricks
    As far as unknowns, I saw Phish open twice for Col. Bruce Hampton in 1990 or so. Could hot have been more than a few dozen people at one of them.

Bigger scale, I saw a new college band R.E.M. open for The Police. Radio Free Europe was just hitting the college airwaves. And — they were awful.