Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Just revisiting this because today Northwestern earned their highest ranking in 24 years, clocking in at #11. They are another program that I would think would be comparable to Duke considering their academics.
    Can't reasonably be argued that Northwestern plays in a tougher conference and division than the ACC Coastal though!
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Can't reasonably be argued that Northwestern plays in a tougher conference and division than the ACC Coastal though!
    I bet they'd at least win a game or three at least.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We've given up 38 (or more) points in 7 of 10 games this year. Most likely we'll have given up 50+ in three straight weeks by the time this one is over.

Rumph was taken to the Locker Room with what sounded like a bad injury but no specifics.

Like many here I've been a longtime Cutcliffe supporter, but unfortunely I think it's time for a new head coach/regime. As a Duke football fan, I will forever be grateful for his major contribution in bringing Duke football back from the dead, but it is time.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    Like many here I've been a longtime Cutcliffe supporter, but unfortunely I think it's time for a new head coach/regime. As a Duke football fan, I will forever be grateful for his major contribution in bringing Duke football back from the dead, but it is time.
    Sad, but I agree. Cut worked a honest-to-god-praise-Jesus-miracle in the first half of his time at Duke and he absolutely should be celebrated for that. That was truly one of the best coaching jobs in history. At the same, it’s clear to anyone who has ACTUALLY watched a game in the last THREE years, that he’s lost the team and his magic. This isn’t a this year thing that can be explained by COVID. Yes, Duke came back later than others but so did Northwestern and they just won their division. No, this is just a rapid continuation of the trends from the last several years: lackluster offense with no creativity, no ability to get the ball to our playmakers (yes, we have some), stupid penalties at the worst times, and a serviceable defense that runs out of gas because the offense can’t sustain drives. And the turnovers, sweet mercy the turnovers! I’d say these aren’t characteristics of a David Cutcliffe team, but they have became the hallmark of them in recent years. Can’t blame Roper for our offense this year, Cut calls all the plays and has complete control of the offense. I haven’t been this down on Duke FB since the dark times of the mid aughts.

Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post
    Rumph was taken to the Locker Room with what sounded like a bad injury but no specifics.
    The announcers were wrong. Jontavis Robertson was the injured player. He and Rumph both wore no. 1

Wow. When is the last time Duke scored no points in a football game.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Wow. When is the last time Duke scored no points in a football game.
    In Coach Cutcliffe debut season, Georgia Tech beat Duke 27-0. The game was on October 4, 2008.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The announcers were wrong. Jontavis Robertson was the injured player. He and Rumph both wore no. 1
    Either way, here's hoping the injury isn't serious.

The most unfortunate thing is that Cut is eroding his own legacy, which was truly outstanding. It's unfixable right now. Good luck selling tickets next year, Kevin (though I've already bought mine).

Dear Dr. White

To change an old sports saying to fit our current status in football:

Terrible isn't good enough when merely average was expected.

Changes need to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The most unfortunate thing is that Cut is eroding his own legacy, which was truly outstanding. It's unfixable right now. Good luck selling tickets next year, Kevin (though I've already bought mine).
    Yep. I think he is coaching himself out of statue territory.

White's job is to convince Cut to do the right thing, save face, retire and not break the Duke football bank. Tall order, but it has to be done.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    White's job is to convince Cut to do the right thing, save face, retire and not break the Duke football bank. Tall order, but it has to be done.
    There could and should be a nice transition sport for him at Duke.

We've had winning seasons in 5 of the past 8 years. I'm not diminishing people's concerns about the program, I agree with nearly all of you, but I still think it makes sense to give it another year. This season is basically just a long series of exhibition games to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    We've had winning seasons in 5 of the past 8 years. I'm not diminishing people's concerns about the program, I agree with nearly all of you, but I still think it makes sense to give it another year. This season is basically just a long series of exhibition games to me anyway.
    Respectfully, just one opinion here - I agree that with the positive Cut has brought to Duke football that he has earned one more year. I'd say let's see how that goes and then consider this discussion.

Thad Lewis, Sean Renfree, and Daniel Jones -- all NFL quality QB's. Without Cut, we'll never get those players. It could be worse - we could be 2-9 every year. And yes I want us to be better than this. I expect winning seasons, bowl games, and more ACC competitiveness.

I realize the arguments above that Duke can pay $2-3 million a year for a football coach. But it's not clear to me yet that Duke could then hire someone who would be a better football coach for Duke football than David Cutcliffe. Who would we hire? Who better then takes this job?

Let's give Cut one more year and then re-evaluate.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Respectfully, just one opinion here - I agree that with the positive Cut has brought to Duke football that he has earned one more year. I'd say let's see how that goes and then consider this discussion.

Thad Lewis, Sean Renfree, and Daniel Jones -- all NFL quality QB's. Without Cut, we'll never get those players. It could be worse - we could be 2-9 every year. And yes I want us to be better than this. I expect winning seasons, bowl games, and more ACC competitiveness.

I realize the arguments above that Duke can pay $2-3 million a year for a football coach. But it's not clear to me yet that Duke could then hire someone who would be a better football coach for Duke football than David Cutcliffe. Who would we hire? Who better then takes this job?

To be fair, Cutcliffe inherited Lewis, and barely anyone else was going after Jones. Renfree, however, did come to Duke specifically because of Coach Cut. (And because of the GT coaching change.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    There could and should be a nice transition sport for him at Duke.
    If they found one for Bucky Waters, who destroyed a program, they can find one for a coach who took a joke of a program and, for a time, made it respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post

Cut certainly gets another year or two. Think most of us believe next year looks bleak due to personnel losses and unlikely changes to QB or offensive strategy. And then what if we go 1-7 in ACC competition; how long does the Administration allow the program to bottom out? Thus the title of the thread.