Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Look, you're entitled to your view, which boils down to Duke was turrible for a long time, Duke has limited upside compared to state-school football factories, and Cut has done good things. You are arguing with strawmen, though, because no one is debating the other side of those points. The one thing you assert that is actually wrong is the demand that someone show you the coach that Duke is guaranteed to get if/when Duke moves on. That's not how coaching searches (or at least 99% of them, and particularly for schools not named Alabama or Texas) work. And you're dead wrong to imply that there is no good coach that would want to come to Duke.
    Ditto. And remember, Steve Spurrier was not THE Steve Spurrier when he came to Duke as an OC or head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Ditto. And remember, Steve Spurrier was not THE Steve Spurrier when he came to Duke as an OC or head coach.
    He was an out of work coach.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I have really enjoyed this thread, because everyone on it really cares about Duke football! And it has been civil and respectful, unlike many other schools, so no need to shut it down.

I agree with earlier post that I would gladly take a coach who stays for only 3-4 yrs, which means we had some success! I loved the Spurrier years - we were exciting to watch, relevant and successful. Now we are boring and not successful. That 28% ACC win percentage is the most relevant stat I have seen. Also, football coaches’ tenure is not like hoops. Cut is longest tenured coach in ACC, and longer than both Dabo and Saban I believe. Most of us are at age when we can only think about the next few years, so I’m not really worried about a coach being here 10+ yrs.

When I was a student, we sucked in baseball and no one cared. Is there any sport now where mediocrity is accepted? I check on GoDuke.com and every sport except football seems to be thriving and doing well. Even softball, which has only been around for 3 yrs.
    We just upgraded women’s hoops, after a few down years. Just can’t imagine our AD and administration are happy with current state of football program. It is still a high revenue sport and has much more potential, as Cut showed several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I don't think many people would dispute that the football team is, basically, terrible this year. But I guess the more important question(s) is - are we terrible because of Covid-related issues (that should affect other schools too); lack of talent on the field (poor recruiting the past few years); or just bad coaching? I have no clue what that answer may be.
    I would list recruiting as the #1 problem but then I look at how the players are coached and I think coaching is the #1 problem. From what I've seen of this years team, I believe we have some very good players(the exception being QB). It's sad that I can't compare them to ACC players on other teams because I think our coaching staff has failed to put our players in a position to succeed. If we don't have a coaching staff that can recruit players and coach them up, then our football program is going no where. If Wake Forest can be successful in football, so can Duke University.

GoDuke!

Yeah!!!!!...and we play Wake Forest Saturday too....remember 59-0 last year..?
    How. Bad will it be this year.????....next year.????...Duke football is a joke!!!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Yeah!!!!!...and we play Wake Forest Saturday too...remember 59-0 last year..?
    How. Bad will it be this year.????...next year.????...Duke football is a joke!!!!
    I'm not laughing.
    It is precisely because Duke football isn't a joke that we have threads such as this.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm not laughing.
    It is precisely because Duke football isn't a joke that we have threads such as this.
    This, this, 100% this. If Cut hadn't rescued this program from being a joke, no one would care enough to discuss his job security, let alone have expectations higher than "let's maybe not lose to our FCS opponent this year!".
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Yeah!!!!!...and we play Wake Forest Saturday too...remember 59-0 last year..?
    How. Bad will it be this year.????...next year.????...Duke football is a joke!!!!
    You skipped a year...59-0 was in 2018.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    This, this, 100% this. If Cut hadn't rescued this program from being a joke, no one would care enough to discuss his job security, let alone have expectations higher than "let's maybe not lose to our FCS opponent this year!".
    Nobody is questioning what Cut did, they are questioning what he is doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    yep, and again, the administration deserves considerable credit as well. Cut's predecessors made about $500k, he came in at just under $2M IIRC...he NEVER would have taken the job had he been given the (lack of) support Roof, Franks et al got.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yep, and again, the administration deserves considerable credit as well. Cut's predecessors made about $500k, he came in at just under $2M IIRC...he NEVER would have taken the job had he been given the (lack of) support Roof, Franks et al got.
    And Admiral Alleva leaving was huge to our improvement. Understand Alleva’s hiring of Franks to replace Goldsmith consisted of a phone call to Spurrier asking for head coach recommendation, one Franks interview in Durham and immediately hiring him.

Alleva’s timesheet 😀 probably showed “Hire new head football coach” with 4-hour entry and no other expenses. Very efficient process.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    And Admiral Alleva leaving was huge to our improvement. Understand Alleva’s hiring of Franks to replace Goldsmith consisted of a phone call to Spurrier asking for head coach recommendation, one Franks interview in Durham and immediately hiring him.

Alleva’s timesheet 😀 probably showed “Hire new head football coach” with 4-hour entry and no other expenses. Very efficient process.
    Plus, by all accounts, Admiral Joe was going to hire Karl Dorrell when the hiring advisory group (whatever they called it) exerted itself...

(I guess Joe knew the Tom Butters story about calling Bobby Knight and figured one phone call would get him a legend).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Because of David Cutcliffe, there should be some great candidates out there. They now know that winning is possible at Duke. Quite a legacy.

Is it time for another head coach to build upon that legacy? I think yes, when all the tough questions are answered. I'm no expert, but I see that the program certainly seems to be regressing.

Of course, IF we had, say, a Thad Lewis or even an Anthony Boone at quarterback...
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'll give us Charlotte and A&T, but I don't expect to beat either of the other two. I'll hope for it, but won't expect it. Not unless we look drastically different than we do this season.
    And therein lies the cause of this thread, no? If Duke was once the perennial laughingstock of college football (oh, and were we ever), then Kansas has assumed that mantle with aplomb.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Because of David Cutcliffe, there should be some great candidates out there. They now know that winning is possible at Duke. Quite a legacy.

Is it time for another head coach to build upon that legacy? I think yes, when all the tough questions are answered. I'm no expert, but I see that the program certainly seems to be regressing.

Of course, IF we had, say, a Thad Lewis or even an Anthony Boone at quarterback...
    Well, certainly not QB, but there are a handful of NFL sites that have multiple Duke players in their NFL draft projections--as high as first round projected pick, Chris Rumph II--so it's not like the staff is working with a JV squad. So, recruiting can't be fully to blame, but I echo others who share blame between recruiting and player development/coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Well, certainly not QB, but there are a handful of NFL sites that have multiple Duke players in their NFL draft projections--as high as first round projected pick, Chris Rumph II--so it's not like the staff is working with a JV squad. So, recruiting can't be fully to blame, but I echo others who share blame between recruiting and player development/coaching.
    yup, we do have some guys...having said that, we're right at the bottom in terms of ACC players in the NFL, tied with Georgia Tech (because their team, primarily on offense, had a vey un-pro style offense under Johnson).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    And that's a huge reason that I'm not a fan of reading "we are lacking in talent" posts. We DO have the talent, and enough to be competitive in the ACC.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I dunno. Can anyone name four sure fire NFL prospects on this team? Three? Given our offense, it's hard to tell, but I really don't see much.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I dunno. Can anyone name four sure fire NFL prospects on this team? Three? Given our offense, it's hard to tell, but I really don't see much.
    You don't need sure-fire NFL prospects to not lose 59-0 to wake forest, or VT missing half their team. We have talent to win ACC games. championships? maybe not.
    1200. DDMF.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    You don't need sure-fire NFL prospects to not lose 59-0 to wake forest, or VT missing half their team. We have talent to win ACC games. championships? maybe not.
    On a similar note regarding pro-level players, how many WNBA players have we had in the past 13 season?