Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree with Acy 100 percent. Look at recent hires at other ACC schools:

Wake Forest - hired Dave Clawson from Bowling Green
    Georgia Tech - hired Geoff Collins from Temple
    NC State - hired Dave Doeren from N. Illinois
    Virginia Tech - hired Justin Fuente from Memphis

There are coaches out there who would jump at the opportunity to coach Duke.
    Agreed... once again, it appears I didn't fully put the intricacies of what was in my head in my post

Let me clarify: would there be a coach who comes to Duke who A) Would be a clear improvement over Cut, B) Could adjust to the unique challenges that Duke poses, and C) Would view Duke as a long term destination? While it appears most think A is doable, in my view B and C are more challenging. As I mentioned earlier, I think that a coach who is successful at, say, NC State may not necessarily be successful at Duke given how different the environments of those programs are. Also, in my opinion C is important, as I don't want Duke to become a place where our HC is rotating every 4-5 years, although that is a matter of personal preference I imagine.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Agreed... once again, it appears I didn't fully put the intricacies of what was in my head in my post

Let me clarify: would there be a coach who comes to Duke who A) Would be a clear improvement over Cut, B) Could adjust to the unique challenges that Duke poses, and C) Would view Duke as a long term destination? While it appears most think A is doable, in my view B and C are more challenging. As I mentioned earlier, I think that a coach who is successful at, say, NC State may not necessarily be successful at Duke given how different the environments of those programs are. Also, in my opinion C is important, as I don't want Duke to become a place where our HC is rotating every 4-5 years, although that is a matter of personal preference I imagine.
    FWIW, DBR thread on Roof before his termination includes many posts supporting Ted because Duke football can’t do any better. I think we did.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    FWIW, DBR thread on Roof before his termination includes many posts supporting Ted because Duke football can’t do any better. I think we did.
    Exactly!

I specifically remember posting comments saying Roof deserved another year because the program couldn’t keep firing the head coach every four years.

Coach Cutcliffe has been here 13 seasons and no one is calling for him to be fired. The conversation is about a transition plan. Cutcliffe is 66 and could be moved into administration.
    Bob Green

And I'll add to these posts by saying who cares if the next coach would view Duke as a long term destination? Let's face it, we're never going to be Clemson or Ohio State. Three of the most enjoyable seasons I've seen as a Duke fan were when Steve Spurrier was coach. Do I resent him for leaving for Florida? Not in the least...I'd rather have a guy who succeeds and eventually moves upward than someone who's just mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    And I'll add to these posts by saying who cares if the next coach would view Duke as a long term destination? Let's face it, we're never going to be Clemson or Ohio State. Three of the most enjoyable seasons I've seen as a Duke fan were when Steve Spurrier was coach. Do I resent him for leaving for Florida? Not in the least...I'd rather have a guy who succeeds and eventually moves upward than someone who's just mediocre.
    Agree 100%. If our "problem" is that our coaches are so successful that they get lots of offers, I'll take that. If Duke becomes an attractive stepping stone to the top tier then it means we're winning lots.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    People need to calm down and realize we are still in a pandemic. Now maybe we haven't executed as well but we haven't practiced in a normal fashion.
    And other teams have? No. What has happened at Duke has happened everywhere, and other teams are making their way. Unfortunately, Duke has reverted. That is a fact and it can't be questioned. And you can't blame it on the pandemic either.
    Not picking on you, because you are not the only one that has brought it up, but it is a terrible excuse.

That's like saying 8 games into our schedule that Chase is doing so badly because he doesn't know our system.
    Neither hold water.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

yeah, VT had 21 guys out for our game and we played UVA with two games under our belt and they had none. And we lost both of those.

some good points, but I have to disagree that being better than Roof or Franks is the gold standard...those guys got ZERO support from the administration, got paid about a quarter of what Cut came in at, so no, given the greatly increased budget, better facilities, modest academic concessions Cut enjoys, the gold standard has to be WAY better than 0-2 wins/year.
    I only meant that some arguments for Cutcliffe are that he raised the Duke program above where we were under Franks and Roof. While that is a good thing and a low bar, I feel there is another plateau that the program can get to. Thirteen years seem to be plenty of time to get a program to where they can consistently win 6 games a year. That puts you in a bowl game every year, and in years where it all comes together, maybe playing in Charlotte every 3 or 4 years. Coach Cut's winning percentage at Duke is 46%. I'm not sure why expectations at Duke University can't be consistently winning 60% of your games. I don't think that is being unrealistic. Especially when our OCC schedule usually has two wins a year built in.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    I'm not sure why expectations at Duke University can't be consistently winning 60% of your games. I don't think that is being unrealistic. Especially when our OCC schedule usually has two wins a year built in.
    Our OOC schedule typically has three wins a year built in.

Next season, assuming things are back to normal which is far from certain, we play Charlotte, NC A&T, Kansas and Northwestern. Winning three of four is reasonable expectation.
    Bob Green

yeah, VT had 21 guys out for our game and we played UVA with two games under our belt and they had none. And we lost both of those.
    I don't think many people would dispute that the football team is, basically, terrible this year. But I guess the more important question(s) is - are we terrible because of Covid-related issues (that should affect other schools too); lack of talent on the field (poor recruiting the past few years); or just bad coaching? I have no clue what that answer may be.

Coach Cutcliffe has been here 13 seasons and no one is calling for him to be fired. The conversation is about a transition plan. Cutcliffe is 66 and could be moved into administration.
    Putting myself in his shoes, if I was eased out of the job of football coach (which is basically my career) and "moved" into admin, I would certainly view that as the equivalent of being fired. I am guessing there is a lot more in his desire to coach than just a paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Putting myself in his shoes, if I was eased out of the job of football coach (which is basically my career) and "moved" into admin, I would certainly view that as the equivalent of being fired. I am guessing there is a lot more in his desire to coach than just a paycheck.
    You’re most likely correct but at times one must read the writing on the wall and move on.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Our OOC schedule typically has three wins a year built in.

Next season, assuming things are back to normal which is far from certain, we play Charlotte, NC A&T, Kansas and Northwestern. Winning three of four is reasonable expectation.
    I'll give us Charlotte and A&T, but I don't expect to beat either of the other two. I'll hope for it, but won't expect it. Not unless we look drastically different than we do this season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I don't think many people would dispute that the football team is, basically, terrible this year. But I guess the more important question(s) is - are we terrible because of Covid-related issues (that should affect other schools too); lack of talent on the field (poor recruiting the past few years); or just bad coaching? I have no clue what that answer may be.
    I’d go primarily with bad coaching. Rather than bad recruiting, I’d frame it as bad player development which points back at coaching. As I stated up thread, assistant coaches left for greener pastures and Cutcliffe did a poor job replacing them. He really needed to hire an experienced offensive coordinator five years ago but did not.

Any guesses who is Notre Dame’s offensive line coach? John Latina.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'll give us Charlotte and A&T, but I don't expect to beat either of the other two. I'll hope for it, but won't expect it. Not unless we look drastically different than we do this season.
    I’m certainly not making predictions a year in advance. What I meant is winning three of four OOC games per year is a reasonable expectation for the football program.
    Bob Green

I’d go primarily with bad coaching. Rather than bad recruiting, I’d frame it as bad player development which points back at coaching. As I stated up thread, assistant coaches left for greener pastures and Cutcliffe did a poor job replacing them. He really needed to hire an experienced offensive coordinator five years ago but did not.

Any guesses who is Notre Dame’s offensive line coach? John Latina.
    Please check the list of current coaches at Notre Dame. John Latina isn't one of them. He was there between Ole Miss and Duke.

I’m certainly not making predictions a year in advance. What I meant is winning three of four OOC games per year is a reasonable expectation for the football program.
    Gotcha. Totally agree that is where we should be. Sadly, it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Please check the list of current coaches at Notre Dame. John Latina isn't one of them. He was there between Ole Miss and Duke.
    He's currently not coaching. Hey...that means he's available! And he's only 63!

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    You’re most likely correct but at times one must read the writing on the wall and move on.
    It is a pretty standard way of handling well-liked/respected coaches when it is time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Sometimes Google is not your friend especially when it pulls up those old pages.
    Bob Green