Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Masters 2020

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'm okay without the gallery because it saves us from having to listen to those wonderful folks who yell "Get in the hole!" when someone hits their drive on a 540 yard par 5.
    You da man!!

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Slowest start to the back swing I can ever remember seeing on a professional golfer. Evolution occurs in the time it takes him to get the club back.
    Yep. Crazy.

Kind of disproves the theories of a lot of swing gurus who say that a faster backswing is necessary if you want to get more distance. Kyle Berkshire says the same thing; that when he wants to get even more distance, he speeds up his backswing a little bit.

It's all hogwash. You could lift the club up straight in front of you, then turn the shoulders, and then start the downswing if you wanted to. There was a guy on the BYU golf team years ago that used to do that at the range for practice. He was striping the ball like that.

The difficult thing is sequencing and not rushing the downswing. If you are patient on the downswing so that sequencing can be correct, any style of backswing will do. Furyk and Matthew Wolff are other cases in point.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yep. Crazy.

Kind of disproves the theories of a lot of swing gurus who say that a faster backswing is necessary if you want to get more distance. Kyle Berkshire says the same thing; that when he wants to get even more distance, he speeds up his backswing a little bit.

It's all hogwash. You could lift the club up straight in front of you, then turn the shoulders, and then start the downswing if you wanted to. There was a guy on the BYU golf team years ago that used to do that at the range for practice. He was striping the ball like that.

The difficult thing is sequencing and not rushing the downswing. If you are patient on the downswing so that sequencing can be correct, any style of backswing will do. Furyk and Matthew Wolff are other cases in point.
    Yea, as long as you can get the club face in the right position (in a consistent way) when it strikes the ball, it really doesn't matter what you do on the back swing OR the down swing.

Yep. Crazy.

The key, said the former Net Club Champion, is to be able to finish strong with the hands through the ball. I find a faster back swing leads to "swinging from the top" -- and not much distance.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

“B.A.D.” with a bad look in this interview. I’m sure that the caddy plays an important role here, but only one guy hit the shots.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...-many-mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You da man!!
    Thanks, I try to not let that sway my posting.

I'm still out there looking for DeChambeau's ball, I think I'm getting close...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm still out there looking for DeChambeau's ball, I think I'm getting close...
    "What's this? It looks like a money clipped engraved with a name... J A M E S H O F F A. Hmm."
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    “B.A.D.” with a bad look in this interview. I’m sure that the caddy plays an important role here, but only one guy hit the shots.

I dunno. I think this is "a thing" nowadays, for players to speak of themselves and their caddy as "a team." When they win, they talk about winning as a team, so why not talk about losing as a team, too?

Personally, I don't like it, even when a "team" is claiming victory. I think of golf as an individual sport. But I don't think what DeChambeau is doing here is anything out of the ordinary for the younger, modern golfer.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I dunno. I think this is "a thing" nowadays, for players to speak of themselves and their caddy as "a team." When they win, they talk about winning as a team, so why not talk about losing as a team, too?

Personally, I don't like it, even when a "team" is claiming victory. I think of golf as an individual sport. But I don't think what DeChambeau is doing here is anything out of the ordinary for the younger, modern golfer.
    The dizzy part of the interview is what's scary. Man, I have a hard time hitting the ball and I'm not dizzy. To hit it 340 yards off the tee while being dizzy is pretty good. Bryson should get himself checked out. It could be something serious going on and I'm not talking about Covid either.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

Um...

"At the beginning of the week, I felt like I could have a great chance to win the tournament if I just played my game," DeChambeau said. "Shoot, I made enough birdies this week and eagles to have a chance to win. There's no doubt about that. I made way too many mistakes that I've got to talk about with my caddie and go, 'Hey, how do we not make these mistakes anymore, how can we work better as a team to have that not happen?'"
    It was literally "I...win", "my game", and "I made enough birdies...and eagles" literally 2 and 3 sentences before "we" and "mistakes" crept in.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    The dizzy part of the interview is what's scary. Man, I have a hard time hitting the ball and I'm not dizzy. To hit it 340 yards off the tee while being dizzy is pretty good. Bryson should get himself checked out. It could be something serious going on and I'm not talking about Covid either.
    I kinda thought the same thing. He did put on 40 lbs of bulk to his frame. It seems like he’s taking in the calories necessary to fuel his intense and frequent workouts. Hearing he was kind of dizzy was a bit alarming though. It was a bit warm in Augusta this past weekend but not scorching. Warm enough to cause a bit of dehydration though.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I kinda thought the same thing. He did put on 40 lbs of bulk to his frame. It seems like he’s taking in the calories necessary to fuel his intense and frequent workouts. Hearing he was kind of dizzy was a bit alarming though. It was a bit warm in Augusta this past weekend but not scorching. Warm enough to cause a bit of dehydration though.
    To be fair, the pimento cheese sandwiches will throw you for a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    To be fair, the pimento cheese sandwiches will throw you for a loop.
    Yes they will!

Jason Day has had problems with dizziness off and on, too. I think he almost dropped out of the US Open at chambers Bay because it was so bad during that tournament (as if anybody needed another reason to dislike Chambers Bay).

Jason Day has had problems with dizziness off and on, too. I think he almost dropped out of the US Open at chambers Bay because it was so bad during that tournament (as if anybody needed another reason to dislike Chambers Bay).
    What's wrong with a brown golf course?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013