Jerry Jeff Walker, RIP

Christ, no. I can’t take this year any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Christ, no. I can’t take this year any longer.
    I was in the audience at the old Birchmere in Alexandria, VA when Jerry Jeff and his band recorded "Night After Night" live over a two-night stand. Likely, my "distinctive" notes got edited out of the sing-alongs.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I was in the audience at the old Birchmere in Alexandria, VA when Jerry Jeff and his band recorded "Night After Night" live over a two-night stand. Likely, my "distinctive" notes got edited out of the sing-alongs.
    Do you still get residuals?

Redneck Mother

Always loved his cover of Ray Wylie Hubbard’s Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother. I saw Hubbard two years ago and he said that he only wrote two verses of the song, thinking it was just a throwaway song. One day Walker called him and said he was recording the song, but it needed a third verse, so Hubbard composed it during the phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Always loved his cover of Ray Wylie Hubbard’s Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother. I saw Hubbard two years ago and he said that he only wrote two verses of the song, thinking it was just a throwaway song. One day Walker called him and said he was recording the song, but it needed a third verse, so Hubbard composed it during the phone call.
    Ray Wylie Hubbard and Gary P. Nunn ('London Homesick Blues" -- the armadillo song) owe their careers to Jerry Jeff.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Good obit

The Post has a great obituary on Jerry Jeff: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...6ed_story.html

Best part is at the end, from a book written by Todd Snider, a story about Snider and Walker leaving a bar in Santa Fe at 2 a.m., closing time, and coming across a homeless guy with a banjo playing Mr. Bojangles:

“The guy looked up at us. He didn’t know Jerry Jeff Walker was standing there. He may never have heard of Jerry Jeff Walker.”

They listened as the man sang Mr. Walker’s masterpiece about a down-and-out street performer, “and I could feel us both getting choked up,” Snider wrote.

He wondered if he should say something, “but no, I figured if Jerry Jeff wanted to let the guy know who he was, he’d tell him.”

The only thing Mr. Walker said was: “That sounded great.”

He took all the money out of his pockets, put it in the street singer’s hat, then walked away. He never told him his name.

Jerry Jeff has long been a road trip staple for me.
    Navajo Rug is my favorite:

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Ray Wylie Hubbard and Gary P. Nunn ('London Homesick Blues" -- the armadillo song) owe their careers to Jerry Jeff.
    Not to mention the brilliant songwriter Guy Clark ("LA Freeway"), who we lost four years ago.
    Sage Grouse