Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    NBA Draft coming up November 18

Will there be a DBR Mock Draft this year?
    I am pretty busy keeping track of the presidential thread... does someone else want to run it? If not, I can try to get it moving next week.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am pretty busy keeping track of the presidential thread... does someone else want to run it? If not, I can try to get it moving next week.
    I mentioned the DBR Mock Draft, but upon reflection, I'd be fine if we just skip it for 2020.

We're way past the 2019-20 college basketball season, looking forward to the 2020-21 season, and occupied with other news events.

Jason, you've done a great job with this. Don't sweat it for this crazy year.

CBS Sports: Things got a little nuttier in Phoenix.

Chris Paul's adventure in Oklahoma City has come to an end. Early on Monday afternoon, the Thunder traded their superstar point guard to the Phoenix Suns in exchange for Kelly Oubre Jr., Ricky Rubio, Ty Jerome, Jalen Lecque and a 2022 first-round pick, according to The Athletic's Shams Charania.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Lots of comings and groings with that guy.

Woj bomb...

Harden has told the Rockets to trade him to the Nets. He turned down an extension that would have made him the NBA's first $50mil/year man.

The Nets probably do have the resources to trade for him.

Caris LeVert's extension just kicked in so he is due to make $16.2 mil this season, which is a help in getting a salary cap match with Harden's $41+ mil. Jaret Allen is a very promising younger players, but only makes $3.9 mil this year on his rookie deal. Add in Spencer Dinwiddie ($11.4 mil) and Taurean Prince ($12.2 mil) and you get: 16.2 + 3.9 + 11.4 + 12.2 = $43.7 mil in salary. You might have to toss in some filler from the Rockets (David Nwaba - $1.8 mil) and that makes it work. Probably have to ship a few draft picks to Houston as well.

So, would you do this if you were the Rockets? I'm sure the Nets would take a flier on winning a title with KD, Kyrie, and Harden. I'm not sure those three are a great fit though... Kyrie and Harden are both very ball-dominant.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Woj bomb...

Harden has told the Rockets to trade him to the Nets. He turned down an extension that would have made him the NBA's first $50mil/year man.

Caris LeVert's extension just kicked in so he is due to make $16.2 mil this season, which is a help in getting a salary cap match with Harden's $41+ mil. Jaret Allen is a very promising younger players, but only makes $3.9 mil this year on his rookie deal. Add in Spencer Dinwiddie ($11.4 mil) and Taurean Prince ($12.2 mil) and you get: 16.2 + 3.9 + 11.4 + 12.2 = $43.7 mil in salary. You might have to toss in some filler from the Rockets (David Nwaba - $1.8 mil) and that makes it work. Probably have to ship a few draft picks to Houston as well.

So, would you do this if you were the Rockets? I'm sure the Nets would take a flier on winning a title with KD, Kyrie, and Harden. I'm not sure those three are a great fit though... Kyrie and Harden are both very ball-dominant.
    Interesting. I have to imagine Durant and KI know about this and approve of the idea. Assuming that, I'm a little surprised Durant (not to mention KI) would want to go down this road again playing opposite two guys that can really hog that ball. I got the impression that was frustrating for him in OKC. GS, at least, played beautiful ball.

Getting back with your ex sounds good sometimes but it's usually not.

Woj bomb...

Since my Knicks stink, I was looking forward to watching the Nets this year - Durant and Kyrie plus some talented young pieces would be fun. I find Harden absolutely painful to watch. He is so ridiculously ball dominant. I know this past year was an anomaly but I thought it helped prove that you don't need a third superstar to win. ESPN makes it sound like the Nets would be giving up a lot of draft picks. If I were the Nets, I would not gut my team and draft picks to make this happen.

Milwaukee gave up quite a haul for Jrue Holiday - reportedly Bledsoe, Hill, 3 first rounders plus 2 first round pick swaps.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Milwaukee gave up quite a haul for Jrue Holiday - reportedly Bledsoe, Hill, 3 first rounders plus 2 first round pick swaps.
    Jrue is a heck of a defender but Milwaukee gave up too much, IMO. If these moves don't work and Giannis flees in a year as a free agent, Milwaukee is going to be pretty mediocre and the pick swaps plus first rounders will make it impossible for the team to rebuild. Either this works and they are a long-term contender or the team could be the worst team in the league for half a decade or longer.

I'm sorta surprised New Orleans was willing to take on Bledsoe's salary, though they needed it to make the salary cap part of the deal work. I think Bledsoe is terribly overpaid. The Pels are going to pay him $35 mil over the next 2 seasons to back up Lonzo... and what does this mean for Frank Jackson's future?

Jrue is a heck of a defender but Milwaukee gave up too much, IMO. If these moves don't work and Giannis flees in a year as a free agent, Milwaukee is going to be pretty mediocre and the pick swaps plus first rounders will make it impossible for the team to rebuild. Either this works and they are a long-term contender or the team could be the worst team in the league for half a decade or longer.

I'm sorta surprised New Orleans was willing to take on Bledsoe's salary, though they needed it to make the salary cap part of the deal work. I think Bledsoe is terribly overpaid. The Pels are going to pay him $35 mil over the next 2 seasons to back up Lonzo... and what does this mean for Frank Jackson's future?
    Keeping Giannis is everything, though, and I'm guessing he had significant input into these moves.

I suspect he signs a supermax extension before next season starts.

As a Pels fan, this deal makes almost no sense. They already own future picks of the Lakers from the AD deal. They will HAVE to offer BI a max deal this week and assuming they negotiate a contract extension with Lonzo that is future cap friendly, I dont see room in this team for Bledsoe or his albatross of a contract. If they cant flip and some of these future picks for a position of need, this deal will be horrible for the Pels.

As of right now, its hard to see the Pels making the playoffs in the West this year. Phoenix has passed them with the CPIII deal. Even assuming that OKC and Houston fall out of the playoffs, you have Golden State, Phoenix, Portland, Minn. and Memphis fighting to take those two spots.

I expect the Pelicans to be on the phone a lot during tomorrows draft. The Zion window will only be open so long and future late first round picks aren't going to do much.

EDIT: I'm also afraid this deal may mean they do not resign Frank Jackson who showed great improvement and was very very good in the bubble. One of the few bubble bright spots for the Pels.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    As a Pels fan, this deal makes almost no sense. They already own future picks of the Lakers from the AD deal. They will HAVE to offer BI a max deal this week and assuming they negotiate a contract extension with Lonzo that is future cap friendly, I dont see room in this team for Bledsoe or his albatross of a contract. If they cant flip and some of these future picks for a position of need, this deal will be horrible for the Pels.

As of right now, its hard to see the Pels making the playoffs in the West this year. Phoenix has passed them with the CPIII deal. Even assuming that OKC and Houston fall out of the playoffs, you have Golden State, Phoenix, Portland, Minn. and Memphis fighting to take those two spots.

I expect the Pelicans to be on the phone a lot during tomorrows draft. The Zion window will only be open so long and future late first round picks aren't going to do much.

EDIT: I'm also afraid this deal may mean they do not resign Frank Jackson who showed great improvement and was very very good in the bubble. One of the few bubble bright spots for the Pels.
    Zion has to get a lot better, especially defensively, before the Pels can be thinking about a championship window. I think Griffin has the right idea. It's really 21-22 and beyond that New Orleans should be thinking about going hard for contending. In the meantime, let's keep Zion healthy and develop him defensively and allow guys like Lebron and Steph to age another year. Bledsoe's contract is bad for this upcoming season but essentially becomes an expiring one the season after, and so the contract can be packaged with some of those picks to land high-end help for Zion at that point. Hopefully, at that point, Zion will have fully cemented his status as a two-way superstar.

Rodney Hood declining his player option is interesting news. It is good to hear that he is healthy and there must some indicators to his people that more money or more years are already on the table. Exercising his option would certainly have seemed like a solid way of proving that he was back while paying a solid amount.

There are talks between Golden State and Chicago to send Wendell Carter Jr. and the number 4 from Chicago for the second overall pick owned by GS.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    There are talks between Golden State and Chicago to send Wendell Carter Jr. and the number 4 from Chicago for the second overall pick owned by GS.
    Uggh, this feels gross to me. I mean, I get the idea: either James Wiseman (a better frontcourt pairing with Markkanen) or LaMelo Ball (a PG and playmaker) are on the table. But yuck to the idea of Ball (for obvious reasons), and trading Carter hurts from my fandom perspective.

It would obviously be a great situation for Carter though, going to a contender and being such a good pairing with guys like Curry/Thompson/Green.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Uggh, this feels gross to me. I mean, I get the idea: either James Wiseman (a better frontcourt pairing with Markkanen) or LaMelo Ball (a PG and playmaker) are on the table. But yuck to the idea of Ball (for obvious reasons), and trading Carter hurts from my fandom perspective.

It would obviously be a great situation for Carter though, going to a contender and being such a good pairing with guys like Curry/Thompson/Green.
    It would also get Wendell out of the mess known as the Chicago Bulls (well, these days at least...)

I think that GS wants nothing to do with the Ball family. If they aren't going to draft him at 2 might as well grab Wendell and the pick they want at 4. Who knows if it will happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    It would also get Wendell out of the mess known as the Chicago Bulls (well, these days at least...)
    I'm cautiously optimistic that the Bulls are headed in a new direction. They fired Paxson and Forman and brought in a new VPBO and GM from outside the organization. For the first time in close to 20 years, it feels like a fresh start.

No guarantee that the new guys will work out, but it's at least a change from the cronyism approach they've had for the last few decades.

The more I think about this, the less I like it from the Bulls' perspective. And the more I think it's just a leak from Golden State to try to increase the trade value for their pick.

A year ago, the Sixers were letting Jimmy Butler walk so they could have cap space to sign Al Horford to a 4 year, $107 million dollar contract. Butler goes on to lead the Heat to the NBA finals and establish himself as one of those very rare guys who can will a team to truly great things.

Now, the Sixers are just giving away draft picks to get someone to take Al Horford off the books. They have traded him to the Thunder for Danny Green. Along with Horford, the Thunder also get the Sixers 2025 #1 and this year's second round pick. Wow...

-Jason "this just in, Daryl Morley is not a fan of big men in the modern NBA " Evans