Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

2020 NBA Offseason

Now that the playoffs are behind us, a general thread for offseason news is in order. Quite the coaching carousel so far, with the latest being Stan Van Gundy going out of the broadcast booth and into New Orelans.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Free Agency wont be turribly exciting this season unless for some reason Anthony Davis leaves the Lakers.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ld-predictions

There's more likely to be trades with vets like Chris Paul. Also, there seems to be an awful lot of buzz around Minnesota and Golden State either trading down, out or packaging the #1 or #2 picks to get a veteran player rather than a rookie in a weak draft.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Now that the playoffs are behind us, a general thread for offseason news is in order. Quite the coaching carousel so far, with the latest being Stan Van Gundy going out of the broadcast booth and into New Orelans.
    He gets to coach JJ Redick 2.0. It will be interesting to see how he does. That New Orleans team has talent but is a bit headless and seems to fail in critical moments.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    He gets to coach JJ Redick 2.0. It will be interesting to see how he does. That New Orleans team has talent but is a bit headless and seems to fail in critical moments.
    It's an awesome opportunity. So many assets (current and future), so many decisions.

I think van Gundy is the man for the job. He was excellent in Orlando and knows how to coach defense. At the very least, he can extract a little defensive effort from both Ingram and Zion.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    It's an awesome opportunity. So many assets (current and future), so many decisions.

I think van Gundy is the man for the job. He was excellent in Orlando and knows how to coach defense. At the very least, he can extract a little defensive effort from both Ingram and Zion.
    If Stan Van can teach Zion to play defense like he taught JJ to play defense, look out.
    Carolina delenda est

Worth noting that by the time Stan left Orlando, JJ was playing a pretty good bit for him. I am betting JJ is happy to have Stan back as a coach because that team needs some defensive leadership.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Worth noting that by the time Stan left Orlando, JJ was playing a pretty good bit for him. I am betting JJ is happy to have Stan back as a coach because that team needs some defensive leadership.
    JJ has credited SVG a number of times over the years with some tough love and coaching that helped him transform what could have been a very short stay in the league into an impressive and long career. He talked about it recently in his Podcast w/ Coach K as the guest. There was a summer a few years in to the NBA that was make or break for him. If he didn't make changes, he was likely going to wash out.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    JJ has credited SVG a number of times over the years with some tough love and coaching that helped him transform what could have been a very short stay in the league into an impressive and long career. He talked about it recently in his Podcast w/ Coach K as the guest. There was a summer a few years in to the NBA that was make or break for him. If he didn't make changes, he was likely going to wash out.
    Do you suppose JJ knew Nola was talking to SVG when he interviewed K?

-jk

Great article from the Ringer about van Gundy: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/1...ion-williamson

Bottomline - all the pieces are there. They just weren't played correctly. Which I think has been the general consensus on this forum for the last 4 months.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Didn't know quite where to put this, but a good read on Trevon Duval. Chronicles his journey from Duke through the G-League, with good commentary on 'lessons learned.'

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Do you suppose JJ knew Nola was talking to SVG when he interviewed K?

-jk

I'm sure the butt was a scuttlin'...

Quote Originally Posted by beach rev View Post
    Didn't know quite where to put this, but a good read on Trevon Duval. Chronicles his journey from Duke through the G-League, with good commentary on 'lessons learned.'

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial
    Good article, thanks. I was sorry to see him leave after one year. Can't now remember who Duke had coming in at point guard and whether that made a difference.
    My uninformed opinion is that he was a good kid who really did not want to be in college. Also that he and his Dad had unrealistic expectations for an NBA career.
    I hope he makes it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Good article, thanks. I was sorry to see him leave after one year. Can't now remember who Duke had coming in at point guard and whether that made a difference.
    My uninformed opinion is that he was a good kid who really did not want to be in college. Also that he and his Dad had unrealistic expectations for an NBA career.
    I hope he makes it.
    Tre Jones.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Looks like the NBA is going to have a really short offseason...cue the front office dramatics!
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...regular-season

Darryl Morey is Elton's new boss:
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...run-operations

@tomhaberstroh
    One name to watch in Daryl Morey's front office in Philly: Shane Battier.
    The former Rocket is the Miami Heat's VP of Basketball Dev/Analytics and is close friends with both Morey and former Duke teammate Elton Brand.
    Last edited by Billy Dat; 10-28-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

@tomhaberstroh
    The former Rocket is the Miami Heat's VP of Basketball Dev/Analytics and is close friends with both Morey and former Duke teammate Elton Brand.
    I'd sort of lost some of my new city Sixers fandom when Jah and JJ left. That could easily renew it. Not thrilled about the Morey show coming into town though but it'll keep them entertaining as long as he stays away from burner twitter accounts defending his collar size...

NBA Draft coming up November 18

Will there be a DBR Mock Draft this year?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    NBA Draft coming up November 18

Will there be a DBR Mock Draft this year?
    Won't we still be counting votes from the election?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

@tomhaberstroh
    I don't have a hard-core NBA rooting interest. I tend to root for teams with a strong Duke player presence, which means I float. But I've never rooted for a team because they had lots of former Duke guys in the front office. Not sure what to do here.

I'd sort of lost some of my new city Sixers fandom when Jah and JJ left. That could easily renew it. Not thrilled about the Morey show coming into town though but it'll keep them entertaining as long as he stays away from burner twitter accounts defending his collar size...
    And shies away from the extremes of analytics-driven strategy and roster construction. Though the current Sixers squad is a ways off from that...
    Last edited by luvdahops; 10-28-2020 at 08:03 PM.