Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    This will probably make for a pretty health grad transfer market next season with current seniors able to go anywhere they want and play another season

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Hillsborough,nc
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    No. The idea is that however many seniors you have staying for an extra “second senior” year, your scholarship limit would be raised by that same number.

    Thank you

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Not 100% sure but I don't think grad transfers like Tape will get another year. Plus, he'll be 23 years old by that point and I bet he'd be ready to be finished with college . . .
    He will 100% get another year of college sports... if he wants.

    Here is how the old rule worked... you had 5 years to complete 4 years worth of eligibility. The new rule is that all players participating in a winter sport during the 2020-21 academic year get 6 years to complete 5 years worth of eligibility. So, Tape, who is currently doing his 4th year of eligibility in 5 years will get one more year of both after this season.

    I agree that it is entirely possible he will chose not to exercise this right and just move on with his life. With Banchero coming in and Mark Williams fairly likely to return, I suspect Tape may not see a huge role for himself next season. He could also decide that he loves playing at Duke and wants to stick around regardless of how much playing time he gets.

    JGold is another story. He just turned 21 a few months ago (June) and we have not recruited any PGs for next season. He may see more of career in coaching versus playing hoops and may think one more year at Duke would help him in that regard. He and Roach seem at least somewhat likely to split the PG duties this season and could easily do the same next year as well.

    Baker, who arrived at Duke early and only turned 20 a month ago, is obviously another guy who could benefit from this. As a lights out shooter, he has better pro prospects than JGold. We just need to see how much Joey progresses this season and next to have an idea if he may take up the NCAA on the 5th year option.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    This will probably make for a pretty health grad transfer market next season with current seniors able to go anywhere they want and play another season
    Gary Parish said seniors could only return for a 5th year at their current school. He said specifically that transfers were not permitted.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He will 100% get another year of college sports... if he wants.

    Here is how the old rule worked... you had 5 years to complete 4 years worth of eligibility. The new rule is that all players participating in a winter sport during the 2020-21 academic year get 6 years to complete 5 years worth of eligibility. So, Tape, who is currently doing his 4th year of eligibility in 5 years will get one more year of both after this season.

    I agree that it is entirely possible he will chose not to exercise this right and just move on with his life. With Banchero coming in and Mark Williams fairly likely to return, I suspect Tape may not see a huge role for himself next season. He could also decide that he loves playing at Duke and wants to stick around regardless of how much playing time he gets.

    JGold is another story. He just turned 21 a few months ago (June) and we have not recruited any PGs for next season. He may see more of career in coaching versus playing hoops and may think one more year at Duke would help him in that regard. He and Roach seem at least somewhat likely to split the PG duties this season and could easily do the same next year as well.

    Baker, who arrived at Duke early and only turned 20 a month ago, is obviously another guy who could benefit from this. As a lights out shooter, he has better pro prospects than JGold. We just need to see how much Joey progresses this season and next to have an idea if he may take up the NCAA on the 5th year option.
    I heard from a reliable source that K got this rule passed in response to all the heat he got on this board for burning Joey's redshirt.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    The DBR podcast episode discussing this suggested that the reason the NCAA granted this extra year is to accommodate players who decide to sit out this season due to the pandemic. They want players to be able to choose to do so, protecting their health, without being penalized.

    This makes absolutely no sense to me. If that’s what the NCAA wanted, why would they allow players to play this entire season and then take an additional year? It feels like they would instead ask players to choose right now if they want to play, and if not then they could have an extra “redshirt” season made available. Essentially they would have a six year window to play four years, rather than a five year window to play four years.

    Now maybe they’re thinking about players who begin playing and then have their seasons cut short by catching COVID. But in that case they could apply for a medical redshirt, and the NCAA could say that they’re going to be more lenient with medical redshirts this season.

    I’m cool with players getting the extra year, but the reasoning doesn’t quite make sense to me. It feels more like they realized they screwed up by not granting an extra season last year, and now they’re trying to make up for it.

  7. #27
    A+ to UCake.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The DBR podcast episode discussing this suggested that the reason the NCAA granted this extra year is to accommodate players who decide to sit out this season due to the pandemic. They want players to be able to choose to do so, protecting their health, without being penalized.

    This makes absolutely no sense to me. If that’s what the NCAA wanted, why would they allow players to play this entire season and then take an additional year? It feels like they would instead ask players to choose right now if they want to play, and if not then they could have an extra “redshirt” season made available. Essentially they would have a six year window to play four years, rather than a five year window to play four years.

    Now maybe they’re thinking about players who begin playing and then have their seasons cut short by catching COVID. But in that case they could apply for a medical redshirt, and the NCAA could say that they’re going to be more lenient with medical redshirts this season.

    I’m cool with players getting the extra year, but the reasoning doesn’t quite make sense to me. It feels more like they realized they screwed up by not granting an extra season last year, and now they’re trying to make up for it.
    I for one am shocked - SHOCKED!! - to hear that the NCAA is doing something that doesn't make sense.

    I will wait until I hear from Jay Bilas so that I know how to feel about it.

  9. #29
    Hilarious!!!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

  10. #30
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Guys, I think we're really burying the lead here in the fact that this applied to Joey, potentially nullifying his burnt redshirt.

    This means that our prescient head coach MUST have known that COVID was coming when he burned Joey's redshirt. We all were perplexed by the decision, and many still are to this day. I posit this is the ONLY logical explanation.

    Now, this opens up a plethora of other questions. How did K obtain these powers (my guess: he's found the spice melange!)? Why didn't he warn us about, well, everything? And what does having a coach that can see the future mean for the program?

    All kidding aside, if this means we get an extra year of JG and Joey, I couldn't be more ecstatic. The only thing that would be better is if we could somehow retroactively apply this to one Justin Robinson...
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Guys, I think we're really burying the lead here in the fact that this applied to Joey, potentially nullifying his burnt redshirt.

    This means that our prescient head coach MUST have known that COVID was coming when he burned Joey's redshirt. We all were perplexed by the decision, and many still are to this day. I posit this is the ONLY logical explanation.

    Now, this opens up a plethora of other questions. How did K obtain these powers (my guess: he's found the spice melange!)? Why didn't he warn us about, well, everything? And what does having a coach that can see the future mean for the program?

    All kidding aside, if this means we get an extra year of JG and Joey, I couldn't be more ecstatic. The only thing that would be better is if we could somehow retroactively apply this to one Justin Robinson...
    We should have seen the signs in January 2020 when Clemson beat unc in Chapel Hill...(of course K knew the year before).

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    I’ve heard a lot of people mention Joey, but the recent ruling does not “nullify” his blown redshirt. He still lost that season. If we had not blown that redshirt, he would have four seasons remaining (including this one) instead of three.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Guys, I think we're really burying the lead here in the fact that this applied to Joey, potentially nullifying his burnt redshirt.

    This means that our prescient head coach MUST have known that COVID was coming when he burned Joey's redshirt. We all were perplexed by the decision, and many still are to this day. I posit this is the ONLY logical explanation.

    Now, this opens up a plethora of other questions. How did K obtain these powers (my guess: he's found the spice melange!)? Why didn't he warn us about, well, everything? And what does having a coach that can see the future mean for the program?

    All kidding aside, if this means we get an extra year of JG and Joey, I couldn't be more ecstatic. The only thing that would be better is if we could somehow retroactively apply this to one Justin Robinson...
    While it benefits Duke in that regard, this benefits WAY more players at other college basketball programs more. So, overall, probably a net negative for Duke basketball in relation to the competition. You can't look at it in a vacuum. It could make us better in that final year of JG and Joey absolutely, but will likely make other team's "better delta" even larger.

  14. #34
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    While it benefits Duke in that regard, this benefits WAY more players at other college basketball programs more. So, overall, probably a net negative for Duke basketball in relation to the competition. You can't look at it in a vacuum. It could make us better in that final year of JG and Joey absolutely, but will likely make other team's "better delta" even larger.
    I both agree and disagree with you there. I think there's a middle range of teams (teams that are often 4-8 seeds) for whom this is definitely the case... these are the teams who are talented but not so talented that the draft raids their rosters every year. This teams will get a lot better. I think of last year's Michigan squad in this regard... if guys like Zavier Simpson and Jon Teske, who were all-conference caliber players but not legit NBA prospects, got another year to play as the supporting cast improved, that could be scary.

    That said, I'm not sure if that is enough to bridge the gap between those type of teams and the "top tier" teams who are more often than not driven by NBA-caliber players (or at the very least players who think they're NBA caliber and leave early for the draft). If Duke gets the recruiting class that we're all envisioning for 2021, there quite simply be an athleticism/talent gap between Duke and those mid-tier teams that an extra year of experience may not be able to bridge. The gap between them would definitely be tighter, and we could see a year with more parity, but on the whole the top-tier teams will still be there.

    That said, I think coupling the talent we might be getting with extra leadership presented by more JG, Tape and Joey is something that can't be overlooked, especially considering (as mentioned) the one "hole" in our current 2021 recruiting class is at PG. There are a ton of unknowns at play here in all of this, but I still like how this benefits the 2021 Blue Devils a lot. There may be farther reaching consequences down the line (i.e. if underclassmen use their extra year of eligibility to improve a team 2-3 years from now), but in the near term I view it as a plus for our 2021 prospects even in light of how it may benefit others.
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    An extra year of Goldwire will be nothing but a good thing.

    As far as his pro prospects go, as I did with Lance, I'm gonna go out on a limb and Goldwire in year 5 could be a second round pick.

    And that's primarily due to his defense. The more I see him bulking up the more he reminds me of Marcus Smart. Smart also has improved his jump shot TREMENDOUSLY. IF JG can do that - look out.

    If he makes the kinda jump he did last year the kid basically qualifies as a 4 star recruit (plenty of NO stars have developed over 4 years and busted us up). Based on team comments, we could be in for a treat.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    An extra year of Goldwire will be nothing but a good thing.

    As far as his pro prospects go, as I did with Lance, I'm gonna go out on a limb and Goldwire in year 5 could be a second round pick.

    And that's primarily due to his defense. The more I see him bulking up the more he reminds me of Marcus Smart. Smart also has improved his jump shot TREMENDOUSLY. IF JG can do that - look out.

    If he makes the kinda jump he did last year the kid basically qualifies as a 4 star recruit (plenty of NO stars have developed over 4 years and busted us up). Based on team comments, we could be in for a treat.
    I agree with you that Jordan Goldwire has improved immensely over his time at Duke, and could possibly improve a lot more over two additional seasons. He has become a legitimate ACC player.

    But the Marcus Smart comparison is absurd. During his two seasons at Oklahoma State, Smart averaged 16.6 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.5 assists per game. He was National Freshman of the Year, Big 12 Player of the Year and All-American (2nd or 3rd team) in both of his college seasons. The fact that he seems like a glue guy in the NBA just shows how good the talent is in that league. It doesn't mean Jordan Goldwire is (or will ever be) in the same universe, talent-wise, as Marcus Smart.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    An extra year of Goldwire will be nothing but a good thing.

    As far as his pro prospects go, as I did with Lance, I'm gonna go out on a limb and Goldwire in year 5 could be a second round pick.

    And that's primarily due to his defense. The more I see him bulking up the more he reminds me of Marcus Smart. Smart also has improved his jump shot TREMENDOUSLY. IF JG can do that - look out.

    If he makes the kinda jump he did last year the kid basically qualifies as a 4 star recruit (plenty of NO stars have developed over 4 years and busted us up). Based on team comments, we could be in for a treat.
    I agree with one part of this. You are going out on a limb.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I agree with one part of this. You are going out on a limb.
    All about the defense. Goldwire has a legit ACC frame now and is quite athletic. Dare I say it, but he's much further along than we ever thought Lance was.

    It's the body (not how he came in). You don't find a lot of guys built like D Rose and Smart and JG has that potential.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    All about the defense. Goldwire has a legit ACC frame now and is quite athletic. Dare I say it, but he's much further along than we ever thought Lance was.

    It's the body (not how he came in). You don't find a lot of guys built like D Rose and Smart and JG has that potential.
    Well if he plays like a guy who was named NBA MVP in 2011 then I guess Duke will be pretty good this season.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Well if he plays like a guy who was named NBA MVP in 2011 then I guess Duke will be pretty good this season.
    If he plays like he did last year then I can say that we will be pretty good THIS season.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-09-2020, 08:01 PM
  2. Possibility of a Senior coalition for extra eligibility?
    By thedukelamere in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-15-2020, 10:14 AM
  3. NCAA Grants Edgar Cerenord Another Year of Eligibility in 2019
    By chrishoke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-07-2018, 06:59 PM
  4. Tyler Thornton gets extra year of eligibility
    By SupaDave in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 10:39 AM
  5. USA Today:College athletes studies guided toward 'major in eligibility'
    By gotham devil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 11:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •