Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NCAA grants extra year of eligibility for winter athletes

So I have not seen this on the thread yet, but looks like winter sport athletes received an extra year of eligibility.
    https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...sport-athletes

Interesting implications are that Goldwire could return next year, and Baker's redshirt being waived could be a moot point. I guess any 4 year player could stay an extra year if they wanted to.

Could cause some awkward conversations with coaches dealing with seniors that don't want to leave.

I also think this would have been interesting how this would have lined up perfectly with the end of one and done, and the expected talent drain in CBB that year.

NCAA allowing extra year of eligibility...

...to participants in Winter Sports, and that would include basketball. I suppose it is a sign of the complete embrace of OAD that there hasn’t been a single comment on DBR about this significant development.
    It is surprising The NCAA gave the green light on this given the difficulty schools may have fund-raising when benefits to donors are going to be curtailed in the near-term. And it will presumably send the already active transfer portal into overdrive after this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BobBender View Post
    ...to participants in Winter Sports, and that would include basketball. I suppose it is a sign of the complete embrace of OAD that there hasn’t been a single comment on DBR about this significant development.
    It is surprising The NCAA gave the green light on this given the difficulty schools may have fund-raising when benefits to donors are going to be curtailed in the near-term. And it will presumably send the already active transfer portal into overdrive after this season.
    Well, I guess it sort of makes up for the Joey Baker redshirt fiasco. He gets his 5th season, after all.

Most other schools will be helped a LOT more from this than Duke will, making it a net negative from a Duke standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, I guess it sort of makes up for the Joey Baker redshirt fiasco. He gets his 5th season, after all.

Most other schools will be helped a LOT more from this than Duke will, making it a net negative from a Duke standpoint.
    We discussed this on the latest edition of the podcast this week. Both Jordan Goldwire and Patrick Tape would seem to be excellent candidates to take advantage of this, if they want. I know some folks have expressed some concern about what we would do for a PG next year if Roach turns pro. Well, it is now possible that we could have another year of Jordan... which would be quite nice!

And Kedsy is right that this will benefit other schools, the ones where kids typically use up all their eligibility, a lot more than it benefits Duke. I suspect we will also see a lot of grad transfers this coming off-season as any kid who has graduated in 4 years will now have a 5th year to play ball (and all of those kids will be free agents).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Perhaps right away we may be affected negatively, but Duke really doesn't count on 5 year players.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We discussed this on the latest edition of the podcast this week. Both Jordan Goldwire and Patrick Tape would seem to be excellent candidates to take advantage of this, if they want.
    Patrick Tapé didn't play in 2019-20. Are you sure he gets the extra year of eligibility?

I just wanted another year of JRob!

curious about another player too

Kedsy's question, as always, is a good one.
    I'm also curious about Justin Robinson's situation ... did he go out exactly the way he wanted ... or does he want to come back ... and could he?
    and imagine, if he did come back for a legendary return for the spring semester, and hit a few more 3's against the tar heels, what would they say in Chapel Hill about this amazing student athlete and teammate?

Patrick Tapé didn't play in 2019-20. Are you sure he gets the extra year of eligibility?
    It’s participants in the 20-21 season who get the extra year. Tapé does and JRob doesn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    It’s participants in the 20-21 season who get the extra year. Tapé does and JRob doesn’t.
    Isn't JRob a pro?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Does this extra year of eligibility have any effect on the 22/23 recruiting cycle ? As has been mentioned in other threads - K has not offered anyone in that cycle.

Would this effect the scholarship player cap ?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Isn't JRob a pro?
    Yes, someone previously posted that JRob signed with a team in Albania.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Yes, someone previously posted that JRob signed with a team in Albania.
    KK Mornar Bar of the Adriatic First League Division. It is located in Bar, Montenegro -- which abuts Albania to the north. Here's your big chance, though. You can go there and open the Bar Bar.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    KK Mornar Bar of the Adriatic First League Division. It is located in Bar, Montenegro -- which abuts Albania to the north. Here's your big chance, though. You can go there and open the Bar Bar.
    I'm in on the Bar Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Does this extra year of eligibility have any effect on the 22/23 recruiting cycle ? As has been mentioned in other threads - K has not offered anyone in that cycle.
    I don't see why it would. Nobody expects our only two sophomores (Wendell Moore and Matthew Hurt) to still be in college for the 2023-24 season (and our freshmen would potentially still be here anyway, without the extra year of eligibility). Perhaps it could affect the 23/24 (for the 2024-25 college season) recruiting if, e.g,. Henry Coleman or Jaemyn Brakefield are still around for a 5th season. But that's so far out, it's probably not worth thinking about at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickshaw View Post
    Would this effect the scholarship player cap ?
    No. The idea is that however many seniors you have staying for an extra “second senior” year, your scholarship limit would be raised by that same number.

Tapé and Goldwire returning?

Thats the sort of leadership we need to make a title run if we get all our top targets for 21.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Tape and Goldwire returning?

Thats the sort of leadership we need to make a title run if we get all our top targets for 21.
    Not 100% sure but I don't think grad transfers like Tape will get another year. Plus, he'll be 23 years old by that point and I bet he'd be ready to be finished with college . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Not 100% sure but I don't think grad transfers like Tape will get another year. Plus, he'll be 23 years old by that point and I bet he'd be ready to be finished with college . . .
    Bluto: "...seven years of college down the drain..."

Took my sophomore roommate 6.5 years to graduate from Duke .

It is possible...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.