Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The DBR podcast episode discussing this suggested that the reason the NCAA granted this extra year is to accommodate players who decide to sit out this season due to the pandemic. They want players to be able to choose to do so, protecting their health, without being penalized.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. If that’s what the NCAA wanted, why would they allow players to play this entire season and then take an additional year? It feels like they would instead ask players to choose right now if they want to play, and if not then they could have an extra “redshirt” season made available. Essentially they would have a six year window to play four years, rather than a five year window to play four years.

Now maybe they’re thinking about players who begin playing and then have their seasons cut short by catching COVID. But in that case they could apply for a medical redshirt, and the NCAA could say that they’re going to be more lenient with medical redshirts this season.

I’m cool with players getting the extra year, but the reasoning doesn’t quite make sense to me. It feels more like they realized they screwed up by not granting an extra season last year, and now they’re trying to make up for it.
    From what I've heard and can guess, they were worried about huge numbers of players opting out. If you're not going pro in sports, why would you use one of your four years for a suboptimal experience with largely online classes and no fans, especially when it's increasing your risk of getting a potentially dangerous disease? If you don't count this year towards eligibility, it removes most of the conditions that would have caused players to opt out, thereby allowing games to be played and TV revenue to be made.

Heels fans are probably wondering if this means Battier gets another year of eligibility too.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by ingrjc1 View Post
    Heels fans are probably wondering if this means Battier gets another year of eligibility too.
    Four More Years!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

What long-time career records at Duke (or any school for that matter) could suddenly be approachable with 6th year seniors playing?

I always assumed it was some kind of rule like this that allowed Nick Horvath and Perry Ellis to have the careers they had.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjswift View Post
    What long-time career records at Duke (or any school for that matter) could suddenly be approachable with 6th year seniors playing?

I always assumed it was some kind of rule like this that allowed Nick Horvath and Perry Ellis to have the careers they had.
    Not many, and you can thank mostly Grant, Laettner, Dawkins, Redick, Shelden and Hurley for that. Those kind of players don't stay 4 years anymore and certainly not 6. There may be a single game record to snag here and there.

Best single game chance is for blocks - and if long and lanky 7 footer Mark Williams turns into a rim protector then he's got a shot - but he's got to go CRAZY.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjswift View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Not many, and you can thank mostly Grant, Laettner, Dawkins, Redick, Shelden and Hurley for that. Those kind of players don't stay 4 years anymore and certainly not 6. There may be a single game record to snag here and there.

Best single game chance is for blocks - and if long and lanky 7 footer Mark Williams turns into a rim protector then he's got a shot - but he's got to go CRAZY.
    I can think of a couple that might suddenly become in reach: Career minutes played and career wins. Possibly but probably not career starts (because someone starting that much would likely go pro). Wins vs. UNC. Maybe steals (I don't recall Duke having any particularly prolific pocket-pickers).

Agree with SupaDave, we're in a different era now and players who stay five (or even four) years are not the type of guys who are putting up big numbers. Grayson Allen was a notable exception.

I do recall that Amile Jefferson broke some sort of "most career games played" record, he played the maximum number of games possible before qualifying for a medical redshirt during his senior year, so it was kind of a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Agree with SupaDave, we're in a different era now and players who stay five (or even four) years are not the type of guys who are putting up big numbers. Grayson Allen was a notable exception.

I do recall that Amile Jefferson broke some sort of "most career games played" record, he played the maximum number of games possible before qualifying for a medical redshirt during his senior year, so it was kind of a fluke.
    I think you're right - especially for Duke in particular.

However, I wonder if there are some NCAA-wide records up for grabs as some schools with players less likely to be NBA bound. Like Markus Howard for Marquette - if he came back (I don't think this is happening), he could probably set some serious all-time scoring records for the Big-East and Marquette - and maybe even creep up on all time lists.

Career games as well - David Lighty's record could be in jeopardy - he played in 157 career games. I don't know how to find out if there is anyone sitting right now at 130+ games played, but that could be a stat that even Goldwire puts in jeopardy should he max out his eligibility.

Hurley's career assist record is in danger, I believe.

Bobby has 1076 assists, most ever by a NCAA player. Pepperdine senior guard Colbey Ross has 647 assists thus far in his career. Last season he got 229 assists. If he plays a fifth year and gets 229 assists each year, he would add 458 to his total putting him at 1105 assists, 29 more than Bobby.

Similarly, senior Kameron Langley of NC A&T has 632 total assists. He recorded 247 last year. If he keeps up that pace for 2 more seasons, he would actually pass Ross and record 1126 career assists, moving Bobby into third place all-time.

Of course, this season is certain to feature fewer games than usual, which may help Bobby to hold on.

And, yes, the fact that these two guys now threaten perhaps the greatest counting records held by any Dukie is an abomination.

-Jason "most players increase their counting stats each season, so these two guys put Bobby's record in major major jeopardy if they play a fifth year" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Bobby has 1076 assists, most ever by a NCAA player. Pepperdine senior guard Colbey Ross has 647 assists thus far in his career. Last season he got 229 assists. If he plays a fifth year and gets 229 assists each year, he would add 458 to his total putting him at 1105 assists, 29 more than Bobby.

Similarly, senior Kameron Langley of NC A&T has 632 total assists. He recorded 247 last year. If he keeps up that pace for 2 more seasons, he would actually pass Ross and record 1126 career assists, moving Bobby into third place all-time.

Of course, this season is certain to feature fewer games than usual, which may help Bobby to hold on.

And, yes, the fact that these two guys now threaten perhaps the greatest counting records held by any Dukie is an abomination.

-Jason "most players increase their counting stats each season, so these two guys put Bobby's record in major major jeopardy if they play a fifth year" Evans
    Does the extra year of eligibility not apply to Hurley?

Lame

No one can take away Bobby’s two national championships. No one will take down his jersey from the rafters in Cameron. Much more important honors than the assist record.

As a NC A&T alum, let me reassure you that Kam Langley is not likely to use that last year of eligibility. He tested the draft waters this year to see what he needed to improve upon. He's low key one of the best passing guards in the nation.

Kam would actually have MORE assists if not restricted early in his career to a ball control offense. That changed with a new coach and he unleashed Kam last year with an up tempo offense (247 out of 632 in one year is insane).

A&T is quietly "stacked" with two "5" stars (Blake Harris, Kwe Parker), two 7 footers, and a slew of 3 star and JUCO transfers.

I'm still not even sure what kind of year A&T will have as it transitions from the MEAC to the Big South in the middle of COVID. And considering how scheduling for all things basketball is all over the place there are no guarantees for basically anything at this point.

Supa "shout outs to Jason for noticing the homie Kam" Dave

Aggie Pride!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I can think of a couple that might suddenly become in reach: Career minutes played and career wins. Possibly but probably not career starts (because someone starting that much would likely go pro). Wins vs. UNC. Maybe steals (I don't recall Duke having any particularly prolific pocket-pickers).
    Chris Duhon and Hurley were absolute ball hawks. They dominate the Duke steals records.

A bit of trivia here.

A&T was Mike Krzyzewski's first post-season opponent at Duke. Duke beat A&T 79-69 in the 1981 NIT. Unfortunately Gene Banks broke a wrist trying to draw a charge. Duke followed with a win over Alabama [career game from Dennard] but lost to Purdue.