Coach K Interview with JJ Redick

JJ Redick's podcast, Old Man and the Three, is a fantastic listen. He's had some great guests so far, both from the basketball world (Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Chris Bosh, Steve Nash, Grayson Allen, Kevin Love, Sue Bird, Dwayne Wade, Joel Embiid, Jayson Tatum and more) and from outside basketball (Andrew Yang, Stacey Abrams, Michael Lewis).

But his latest guest is possibly the greatest...because he's the unquestioned greatest in his field. Coach K appeared on the podcast, well worth a listen:

And here's a link if the above video isn't working.

One interesting tidbit: on April 4, which would have been the day the Final Four was played, Coach K connected with each player on face time and told them to imagine they're playing in Atlanta. On April 6 he had a video meeting with the team, simulating a pre-game team meeting, complete with a recap of the prior rounds and a rousing pre-game speech. Two hours later, he sent each player a version of "One Shining Moment" created for this Duke team, along with a mocked-up version of a 2020 championship banner.

Very cool, thanks!

JJ has always been impressive. I remember the interviews when he was playing at Duke and he sounded like a 30yo then- articulate- smart. He was very close to failing as an NBA player and he transformed himself. He is now one of the most respected veterans in the league. If he made himself available - and the cap space was there- he would be snatched up by virtually every team in the league- at 36!! That is crazy. It will be interesting to see where he goes after basketball. He has a talent behind the mic but could be a coach. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    It will be interesting to see where he goes after basketball. He has a talent behind the mic but could be a coach. We shall see.
    I don't see him coaching, I have never gotten that vibe from him (from afar, obviously, I don't know him).

This podcast is the first under the banner of his new 342 productions:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/s...k-podcast.html

I think he's headed for a media career and probably sees himself as much as an owner as talent, perhaps following the footsteps of his many NBA peers with production companies. On the pod, he also talks a lot about venture capital and investing so I think he sees himself as a businessman.

Other highlights from this interview:

-From 2004-06 Coach K was one of the few encouraging threes in transition. He would show JJ film of Peja Stojakovic on the Kings, who seemingly was the only player embracing this strategy at the time.

-Coach K was an early proponent of shooting 3 point shots off of offensive rebounds. It was a clear strategy--he showed film on it during JJ's years and was mad if someone didn't take that shot. Obviously this paid off handsomely by the time 2010 rolled around.

-K said Cassius Stanley loves Duke but his age forced his hand on turning pro.

-K and JJ connected Coach K's legendary adaptability as a coach (fitting each year's play style to the personnel) to his willingness to embrace change on social issues like the Black Lives Matter movement.

-In 2004, when Coach K was considering the Lakers job, JJ called friends at Texas and Iowa saying he'd transfer if Coach K left. If JJ had transferred (and sat out the 2005 season), he could have joined a Texas team with LaMarcus Aldridge, PJ Tucker and Daniel Gibson that made the Elite Eight that year--and also memorably got torched by Duke in a #1 v #2 matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    JJ Redick's podcast, Old Man and the Three, is a fantastic listen. He's had some great guests so far, both from the basketball world (Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Chris Bosh, Steve Nash, Grayson Allen, Kevin Love, Sue Bird, Dwayne Wade, Joel Embiid, Jayson Tatum and more) and from outside basketball (Andrew Yang, Stacey Abrams, Michael Lewis).

But his latest guest is possibly the greatest...because he's the unquestioned greatest in his field. Coach K appeared on the podcast, well worth a listen:

And here's a link if the above video isn't working.
    I don't know when I have watched a Podcast that long, probably never, come to think of it. But worth every minute. Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    JJ has always been impressive. I remember the interviews when he was playing at Duke and he sounded like a 30yo then- articulate- smart. He was very close to failing as an NBA player and he transformed himself. He is now one of the most respected veterans in the league. If he made himself available - and the cap space was there- he would be snatched up by virtually every team in the league- at 36!! That is crazy. It will be interesting to see where he goes after basketball. He has a talent behind the mic but could be a coach. We shall see.
    He is very good with the podcast and has access to a lot of important people. I think he stays with the podcast. People like Joe Rogan and Bill Simmons have proven that there is a LOT of money in a good podcast.