Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, the time management was so bad that Duke had time enough to get a Field Goal after the blocked punt.
    I was talking about the 3 and out, which, as indicated by Jim S., was supposed to run out the clock. But even in the field goal drive, there was wasted time. The clock stopped showing on the screen, but we went from 39 to 19 seconds somewhere, and seemed like there was not the urgency we needed. I remember yelling hurry up at one point. We were driving, and perhaps could have scored 7 instead of 3. We lost 4 points net in the exchange (State scoring 7 on the blocked punt and us 3, but we did at least go down for the FG.)

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I think it’s a given that Kevin White isn’t going to terminate Cut. The question is will he give Cut a contract extension in the near term? Doesn't Cut’s contract expire in a year or two, and to enable recruiting, White will have to make a decision soon. Not quite the same as the McCallie situation when he extended her contract, but some similarities.

In the end, I don’t think Admin really cares about Duke football and if Cut can avoid 0-12 he’s likely safe. One other comment, no School has ever lost more than 8 ACC games in a season, Syracuse and Duke could both take that honor this year.
    yes, I've generally agreed with this view, but there are now indications it could be changing. One item that is different from the past is that the whole new Wallace Wade infrastructure depends on people renewing their luxury boxes in the Tower (not to mention ticket sales to the proletariat). Cut needs to be treated with great respect, and I suspect he will be, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be our coach for the next two seasons...we'll see.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-broken-fibula

Sad news for the Pack. QB Leary out 4-8 weeks.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-broken-fibula

Sad news for the Pack. QB Leary out 4-8 weeks.
    Huge stroke of luck for the cheats .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Should have googled contract before posting. Cut is good till June 30, 2023 so White can kick the can down the road a bit longer.
    Cut is close to retirement even if we had a 5-1 or 4-2 record this year. He's 66. There is no 50 year old Cut out there right now.

White is close enough to retirement that hiring a new FB coach will be a last resort. Similarly, most FB coaches don't want to be in a position where a new AD is looking to replace them in year 3 just to make a change. If the next Duke AD is internal, you can involve the candidate in the selection process and arguably land a stronger candidate.

I can argue both ways about transfers. It usually is a sign of a recruiting problem, but it has worked well for K and Pollard.

Go Duke, win @Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Cut is close to retirement even if we had a 5-1 or 4-2 record this year. He's 66. There is no 50 year old Cut out there right now.

White is close enough to retirement that hiring a new FB coach will be a last resort. Similarly, most FB coaches don't want to be in a position where a new AD is looking to replace them in year 3 just to make a change. If the next Duke AD is internal, you can involve the candidate in the selection process and arguably land a stronger candidate.

I can argue both ways about transfers. It usually is a sign of a recruiting problem, but it has worked well for K and Pollard.

Go Duke, win @Bye.
    Will we be favored in this tussle?

Bye Underdogs

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Will we be favored in this tussle?
    Sorry to report that given our +/- of -5.81, plus an aesthetic factor of -.73, we are 9 points underdog against Bye.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Sorry to report that given our +/- of -5.81, plus an aesthetic factor of -.73, we are 9 points underdog against Bye.
    If we cover, I'll be delighted...

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I was talking about the 3 and out, which, as indicated by Jim S., was supposed to run out the clock. But even in the field goal drive, there was wasted time. The clock stopped showing on the screen, but we went from 39 to 19 seconds somewhere, and seemed like there was not the urgency we needed. I remember yelling hurry up at one point. We were driving, and perhaps could have scored 7 instead of 3. We lost 4 points net in the exchange (State scoring 7 on the blocked punt and us 3, but we did at least go down for the FG.)
    Duke got the ball back after the blocked punt with two timeouts remaining and used only one as the clock ran down, forcing a field goal. Clearly a sub-optimal situation

Quote Originally Posted by DukieAtlanta View Post
    This is my first time responding to this thread. I have enjoyed following it as I know this is a group of die-hard Duke football fans like me. I have met Cut in person and think he has done some great things, but the last season and a half have been frustrating to watch. We no longer look like the well-coached, disciplined Cut teams from a few years ago. And what happened to the offense?

Quentin Harris didn’t look like a D1 QB after 5 games last year but we stuck with him and the stale offense continued for the rest of the season. Like most of you, I was excited about the move to bring Brice in. But it is very clear that he is not the answer. He showed some toughness today running, but his turnovers, decision making and pocket presence make him a liability. If I see one more INT on a short throw across the middle, I will lose my mind! And they all seem to occur at the worst time.

We could easily have 3 or 4 wins with even average QB play. If we are going to have an RPO offense with a short to medium passing game, we need a better game manager and fewer TOs from the QB. Forget the lack of preseason work, 6 ACC games have shown us enough. Gunnar seems like answer right now. He had an impressive HS career and was rated higher than Brice. Seems obvious to all of us that a change is needed. We can still salvage some of this season with a lot of winnable games.
    I know Cut has been criticized for being too loyal to his assistants, but is he too loyal to his players? Harris last year and Brice this year. A bye week and the Charlotte game seem like a great time to work in a new QB
    I think the answer is that he promised guaranteed PT to the Brice family. Chase had a lot of suitors( lot of big names) and Cut’s development of DJ to the point where he was chosen No 6 in the draft gave him some credibility. Throw in the extra year of eligibility for all players and the backups aren’t losing anything. But don’t be surprised to see Holmberg and Katrenick bolt for other pastures after this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post

Also, this year's team doesn't appear be sharp in terms of taking care of the details. They appear to be physically soft; and lack the physicality of past Duke football teams.

I wonder if the pandemic combined lack of practice time (no spring practice) and in-person team workouts really affected this team. The problem is that other teams have had to deal with the same issues. Granted, few in the ACC had to deal with breaking in a new QB, new players and key skill positions, O-line and defense as well as new assistant coaches with little in-person practice time; but this still has veteran players. Where is the veteran leadership right now. …...
    Duke was one of the first Schools to fall prey to COVID-19, leading the way in cancelling Basketball tournaments. I'd guess the administration and coaches allowed as little useful practice as possible. Hard to demand toughness out of athletic teams with those examples and restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Duke was one of the first Schools to fall prey to COVID-19, leading the way in cancelling Basketball tournaments. I'd guess the administration and coaches allowed as little useful practice as possible. Hard to demand toughness out of athletic teams with those examples and restrictions.
    I'm not buying Covid as a valid excuse for Duke. Didn't we play a couple games before UVA played any, and they beat us nonetheless...I don't see any of our losses being to teams that had a less difficult time with Covid. Heck, VA Tech was missing something like 20 players when we played them, and that wasn't enough for a Duke win.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm not buying Covid as a valid excuse for Duke. Didn't we play a couple games before UVA played any, and they beat us nonetheless...I don't see any of our losses being to teams that had a less difficult time with Covid. Heck, VA Tech was missing something like 20 players when we played them, and that wasn't enough for a Duke win.
    I agree 100 percent. Trying to sell COVID as a valid excuse is beyond weak. Let’s start with an OL that can’t block, a QB who can’t pass and go from there.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Sorry, what do you mean by Duke "fall[ing] prey" to COVID-19? Are you suggesting that there was a major Duke outbreak of which we are all unaware, or are you suggesting that COVID-19 is a hoax for which Duke fell? I do not see any other potential reading of your words.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Now, wait a minute, for most of the last 50 years I’ve generally heard we’re too young or all our players are injured.

I kind of like a new excuse every so often; otherwise, there’s no excuse for being a Duke football fan🤪.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Sorry, what do you mean by Duke "fall[ing] prey" to COVID-19? Are you suggesting that there was a major Duke outbreak of which we are all unaware, or are you suggesting that COVID-19 is a hoax for which Duke fell? I do not see any other potential reading of your words.
    Duke was one of the very first identified places in the country (and surely the state) as a "hot spot". Talking wayyyy back in February/March. At the time, it was actually "major". Had nothing to do with athletics however, but if you mention a school like Duke during March, it will draw eyes and ears.

It is probably why the university has been so proactive moving into the Fall when other schools tossed caution to the wind.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duke was one of the very first identified places in the country (and surely the state) as a "hot spot". Talking wayyyy back in February/March. At the time, it was actually "major". Had nothing to do with athletics however, but if you mention a school like Duke during March, it will draw eyes and ears.

It is probably why the university has been so proactive moving into the Fall when other schools tossed caution to the wind.
    Duke was not a "hot spot" I don't believe there were any known cases at duke before they decided to close over spring break. They were on the forefront of being proactive then, and they continue to be. Once Harvard pulled the plug, it was only a matter of time for duke. It was one of the earliest states to have cases, yes, that I'll agree with. I doubt, though, that having a couple early cases was what caused the administration to be cautious, nor do I expect it has anything to do with their actions now.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Duke was not a "hot spot" I don't believe there were any known cases at duke before they decided to close over spring break. They were on the forefront of being proactive then, and they continue to be. Once Harvard pulled the plug, it was only a matter of time for duke. It was one of the earliest states to have cases, yes, that I'll agree with. I doubt, though, that having a couple early cases was what caused the administration to be cautious, nor do I expect it has anything to do with their actions now.
    There were many cases at Duke in the spring, all people returning from overseas. Duke had enough isolated housing to accommodate them -- and did.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Duke was not a "hot spot" I don't believe there were any known cases at duke before they decided to close over spring break.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    There were many cases at Duke in the spring, all people returning from overseas. Duke had enough isolated housing to accommodate them -- and did.
    Yep. Foreign travel folks did indeed make Duke "hot spot", and because of that Durham was one of the very early identified locations for COVID in NC. Charlotte, and Mecklenburg county overall, quickly took over the limelight.
    It's not anything to be ashamed of or upset about, especially since Duke quickly used that experience to shut it down and for the most part stay clean and be an example for other institutions.

PS...Durham city/county was one of the first in the state to issue shut down ordinances because of the above, which also helped.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Chase Brice

To be fair to Chase, would he be having a better season if he had a normal summer offseason to practice and train with his new teammates? Moreover, would he be better next year with a spring camp and summer offseason, assuming Cut is back next season.

Also, I love Coach Cut; and appreciate what he has done for the Duke program. I don't want to see him run out of town after all he is done for the Duke program. I think he deserves it after all he is done to raise the program up from the ashes. That said, I don't want to see the program go back down on his watch either. Personally, I think he can turn it around; and worst case, let him finish out his remaining years on this contract. Last year would've gone differently if DJ had stayed for his final year of eligibility; and I do think would've looked better if he had a true off-season to get acclimated to his new school. Maybe I'm too loyal to Cut; but I think he deserves to go out on his own terms, whenever that might be.

Would all of Duke's QB backups and commits transfer or decommit from Duke if Cut stays for another season or 2?